Horn Farm Cannas Co-Op participants.. how are yours growing?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

So pretty, I can't wait till mine start blooming!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Me too!. Although Tropical Sunrise is blooming now.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

My pretoria are much slower growing than man others. WE are having a big storm right now and my horn farm cannas are taking the brunt of the high winds...gusts up to 61 mph! If there are any left tomorrow, I will take pictures. They were about 2 ft high in my front yard.... I had a 60 + pound potted hibiscus blown into the yard.. just stripped off all but my t-shirt and panties and ran out into the storm to gather my brugs and other plants to pull into safety of the garage.... poor cannas can't come in out of the storm!

Tammie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That's scary, Tammie. Have no fear though, your cannas will bounce back and laugh at having all that rain. Any foliage damage will be replaced with their hardy rhizones. Glad you were able to get to the brugs, though. Wind's a killer on their branches. Hope all is well after the storm.

Take care

Deborah

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Pictures!!! DEB! I want to see...lol I wish mine would grow faster, we have had two afternoons that it rained pretty nicely, so everything is looking much better!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's so nice to see pics of every ones cannas. Mine I'm sorry to say are far behind every one's but they are comming. Because of my shoulder surgery this spring, I was not able to do much and Ric was hard pressed to get everything done. Moving the rest of the dirt pile and getting the cannas in was one of the things that didn't get done as early as I had wanted. The arm is getting better and by next spring I will be ready for another co-op. I think I will need more cannas. Debbie I think you may have created a new interest for me when you sent me those yellow cannas. BTW I think you sent me Morning Glory seeds and they are doing beautiful. Holly

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey, Janet! Okeydokey, I'll go and take a pic of Tropical Sunrise if the blooms' still there.

Hey there, HollyAnn! Glad your arm is healing! Your potatoe vines you sent me are taking over too!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok, bloom is about gone, but here's my Tropical Sunrise.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Tammie, hope you don't mine me showing potatoe vines for Holly on this thread. They really are great with cannas, so I'm not off topic to badly. (?)

Here ya go, Holly, just one spot I found for the sweet potatoe vines.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOOK at that..just beautiful! You are so good at coordinating things....just come stay with me for a week...lol

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Coordinating green colors! LOL

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

NO!!!! You just do such nice combinations, your place is going to be a paradise when you are done!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Aaahh shucks, "kicking foot sideways with head bowed down" Thanks Ms. BH&G!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You are too funny!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I agree with Janet, Looks really good.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I bet the Marguerite would look great in front of the bronze colored foilage too...really make them pop!!! Got to get me some more of those...lol

I just got home from shopping... and guess what I just bought to put under my cannas?..... sweet potato vines! Great minds work together. I got the dark purple ones.. that is all they had anyway. LOL

Tammie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL that is what I thought would look good together though opposites, lol The bronze vines and the Green cannas...lol Yep, great minds....isn't that funny!

OK, here they are. Hope you can see the cannas from all the other stuff. Before the cannas started coming up, I tossed some zinnia seeds in there... they just started blooming a few days ago. The front part of the area has some small annuals planted to add some color and my lavenders are blooming like crazy. I also have a stray tomato plant growing... did not have the heart to pull it up when I discovered it growing. Must have been from my compost bin stuff. LOL This area is about 7x 7 ft ... all came from horn except the tropicanna in the center.. it came from another place in the yard. All are doing well except my City of Portland which is now about 2" high..

Tammie

...oops, I was standing behind the bed looking out toward the street when I took the pic.. the tropicanna is at the back from this viewpoint and you really can't see the smaller plants in the front.. the zinnias are taking over! LOL

This message was edited Jun 27, 2007 7:11 PM

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Looking GOOD!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday Tammie!. Hope you will be able to get out and enjoy your gardens today after your storming weather you've had. Eat your fill of cake and ice cream!

Deborah

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday! Have a Great One!!!
Janet

I was able to enjoy them a little before it got dark. Cannas blooming everywhere.. can't wait for my horn farm ones to get big enough to bloom.

Tammie

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Tammie, They look great.
I probably planted mine too close, will have to adjust them next year.

Yellow King Humbert

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530

Red Dazzler

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris, those look great, my red dazzler is my first one to bloom too!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

From the Horn cannas, my first to bloom is Florence Vaughn.

Deborah

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

OK mine turn
Cleopatra was first follow close by President... but then Cleo continued on to be a show stopper and is still going strong

President first:

Thumbnail by frans530
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

and just 2 of Cloepatra 2 days apart

Thumbnail by frans530
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

cleopatra close up

Thumbnail by frans530

My cleo just started blooming yesterday.. will post pic later... I planted mine close also... they will just have to fight it out. Each has about 2 square feet to grow in. LOL

Tammie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Those are beauties! Cleo is one of my favs!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, guys and gals, I am sure there are more blooming...I want to see them! I have one or two I will pictures of them and post later! Where are those pictures? LOL

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Well lets just say I have a jungle going on here. All the cannas I got in the co-op along with flooding rains make them go nuts! I need a new camera! Now that we are drying out some I really hate to see my water bill for the next few months to keep them looking this good. However those darn weeds are going gangbusters also. All of the Horn Farm Cannas have done GREAT!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Stadt Feltbah my first Horn's Canna to bloom, and it is a true beauty!!

Thumbnail by JanetS

Very pretty! Stadt Feltbah is one of my longest bloomers. Very full flower.
Love your spider! LOL

chris

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have those green spiders in every picture this year..they are all over my garden! Hope they are eating lots of bugs!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

all doing well. here's red & orange. yellow, white, & pink in another sections of the garden.

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Pheitmeyer, Love Your Tropical Border!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.