(107 votes, 15%)
Red dot

too many weeds
(126 votes, 18%)
Red dot

too little time
(160 votes, 23%)
Red dot

too much or little something else (what?)
(113 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I live in an apartment that thankfully the management lets me garden (everyone else has low evergreen shrubs that they don't keep up) and I'm on a corner unit so I've annexed the sideyard of the building but my greedy eyes are bigger than my garden so I'm always buying more stuff than I have room for=)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I think to many weeds is the major problem for all, some don't notice because they are handled on a daily basis.
Big problem weeds here are Canadian Thistle & Dandelions. Lots of annual weeds too, but they don't survive when pulled.
My soil is very rich & I have enough area to cover all the rest of the choices.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Soil is not good- cornfield soil, too many trees which make it hard to find plants, too little time and energy, too few beds, too many weeds. I think that covers it. :~)

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Hard clay soil here.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Too little time here :o(

Although I spend every spare moment playing in the yard, it's not nearly enough. Too many other obligations and too much yard to conquer!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm with starzz...that hard clay. my landscaper is here making new raised beds for me this week. when he was cutting off the sod Sat. he told me I had a lot of rocks....big surprise! the only that isn't clay is the rocks. I think I could build myself a great fallout shelter LOL so raised beds and trucking in lots of amended soil is my answer

my other problem is wind. it almost never quits, usually from the west, and sometimes it is brutal.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Other: energy draining and not enough time.

Edited to say I love my weed eater (torch) for killing weeds and haven't set the fence or trees on fire yet.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 10:43 AM

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Too much low lying land that pools with water in the spring and fall, and bakes dry in the heat of the summer. So even though I have great soil I still have to truck in more soil to make raised beds. Otherwise my poor plants would drown half the year and shrivel up the other half.

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

I have a ravine behind me and lots of mature trees with all their root systems. So I have dry shade even hosta has a hard time surviving back there, mind you the weeds manage to do quite well LOL

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We have shade, shade, shade! Its really a challenge to find flowering plants for the shade. However I love the challenge. Im looking all the time. Not to mention the tree roots not easy to get a tiller thru there most of the time.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Shade, shade, shade, with recurring afternoon sun for the front. How in the world can I get a lawn for my backyard? the shade trees are the neighbors; they are so big that a landscaper cannot prune overhanging branches from my backyard! So I can't do a thing to let more sun on the lawn. In the front, I've tried to plant things where they get the sun (peonies, roses, herbs, lilacs, dianthus, other flowers) and shade-lovers where the sun doesn't hit for long (hydrangeas, azaleas, quince, rhododendrons, tulips, hyacinths, daffodils).
Last problem is convincing DH that the front lawn needs a real dethatching......

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Should have had a all above selection. Too many trees in one area not enough in another, too much sun and too little shade, soil's not bad. What the heck a challenge is a challenge.

(Zone 1)

Too Little Space .... I NEED MORE GARDENING ROOM!

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

So many ideas, varieties, seeds and weeds - so little time!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Too small, need more room, need better soil, need more plants, need a big strong someone to haul stuff around, weed, (starting brand new garden) need more plants, more plants. Ha! I'm driving SO nuts, and I'm just getting started!

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Too many weeds, too many rocks, too much hard clay, not enough room, too hot in summer, boy, what a complainer I am. Actually, I'm really grateful for my little garden sanctuary and all the beauty and fresh food I get out of it. No real complaints here. :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hard clay soil, but I've put in raised beds with good soil, so that's not too big a problem. My major problem is snails. I've never seen as many anywhere as I have at this place and they are HUGE! You could make science fiction movies of these things. I collect them every morning and dispose of them, but I'm not putting a dent in the population. I've tried every environmentally friendly idea that I've ever heard and I may have to resort to stronger measures .... like moving!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I chose weeds, but really I have every problem but too much sun! I have many mature trees w/ their tough root systems. Poison Ivy abounds! it is everywhere. If it doesn't like the soil, it just shoots up the trees.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Wretched, horrid, salt grass plagues my gardening!

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Too little money sometimes ;p

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

My lack of organization makes for days without enough hours.....there never has been a plant I didn't love and want to grow.....I have too many areas of gardening....weeds in the past were a problem, but I have resorted to the "farmers" way of spraying pre-emergence.....getting better all the time providing more time with the actual plants, rather than chopping up weeds....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have sandy soil, but not much of it. In some places I have only an inch or two of soil over solid rock. I am composting a great deal to enrich and increase what soil I have, but with a 1/2 acre lot, that is a lot of compost and almost the entire place needs at least a couple inches of mulch per year, preferably more.
The other problem is that the previous owner didn't want to fight the soil so she covered the whole place in landscaping fabric and covered it with an incredible about of gravel. To plant, I must remove the gravel, then the landscaping fabric, mix in soil amendments then plant and hope there will be enough soil to cover the roots on the plant.
For veggies I have very nice raised beds, but terracing is more appropriate for most of my yard.

I have "too little soil" or "too much rock". I also have problems with "too little time" and "too much gravel"

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 1:03 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You do have a challenge, pagaritomt in Los Alamos!!!!!! My hat goes off to you for gardening!!!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I said "too many weeds", but I also don't have enough time, money, strong muscles, or space to garden the way I'd like to. Tamara

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted too many weeds, but I could have voted too much sun, too few trees, too poor soil, too little time. etc.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 9:08 AM

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

All of the above - too little space, too much sun in front, not enough in back, clay soil, etc etc etc!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Too much bermuda sod!

Thumbnail by justfurkids
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

There are too few beds, too many weeds, but the greatest need is perhaps for more time and energy to maximize the hidden potential of our small lot. A gifted Landscape Architect or Designer could certainly arrange the existing sunny and shady places for the better, but costs being what they are it is just a dream. We have beautiful sandy alluvial soil, a mild maritime climate, abundant rain (too abundant at times), good nurseries and farm supply companies near by so all I really need is a bigger yard and several helpers to do the work. lol

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like a lot of replies include clay soil. I'd love to know the kinds of things you all try to improve clay soils.

Chappell Hill, TX(Zone 8b)

too many weeds, not enough rain, too many BIG ideas, not enough time, money, or strength

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Most of everything listed...but not enough ummph to get it all done! I need a full time gardener that I can "boss" around!!!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I need a full time maid and cook so that I can be the full time gardner. Lol

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

Too much 'want too' and too little 'can do'
Due to health problems, can't garden like I would like to.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm with pjank .. lots of things I'd like to do, but my health slows me down a bit.

X

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

More EB's...If I only had hummm let say 20 more LOL that MIGHT be enough!

Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

CLAY SOIL................and the cattle aren't pooping enough to keep up!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh tomback!!!!!!! Did you ever say the right thing!!!!! I don't cook anything but veggies anymore and eat fruit and pastas....don't have time.....I made the decision to not buy a piece of clothing, makeup, shoes, etc for a year in order to have a maid and use my brother's employee once a week in the garden....wise choice I made!!!!!
A DG friend sent me a big plaque hanging in my kitchen that says:
Life is a Choice
1. Clean House
2. Plant plants
See ya in the garden!!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

too much clay.

I'm with you, tombaak!

I heartily resent all the time taken up by indoor chores. If I'm lacking anything, it's physical strength and energy to keep all the beds looking tip top all the time-but I sure try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.