Found this while cleaning.......

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I received Episcia 'Chocolate Soldier' as a cutting approximately 1 and 1/4 years ago and it's never bloomed til now....

I don't know if the flower will open up more or not, as I've never had an episcia long enough for it to bloom. There appear to be more buds behind that small cluster of center leaves.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

guess what GrowHappy!!!!! My Chocolate Soldier is just starting to bloom....you can see the color in the bud....
This was started from a stolen a few months ago.....episcias bloom easily, I think????

Thumbnail by gessiegail
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations Gh !!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful plant.
Patti

I'm soooooooooooo jealous!

Randi

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

that is impressive Gessiegail!!!! the stolons root so easily, I found. I have a 'pink panther' that I'm trying to get going. It's hanging in t here so far.

Randi, you recently ordered some episcias, right?

Rose, do you grow Episcias as well? I have but two, but have found they are such easy plants if you keep them lightly moist and humid. Pebble trays have worked for me.

Here is a somewhat poor pic of the flower opened. The throat is yellow with red specks...

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

GrowHappy, what did I do before I found DG???? worked hard in the garden !!!! Now I have ordered 10 more Episcias and Streps....
I posted the other day on a thread but in just a couple of days, look what 'Chocolate Soldier' has done.......I keep my episicas on a gro-light stand with a plastic cover I leave on just 3 sides....throw the 4th side up on the top of the stand..

Thumbnail by gessiegail
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

GrowHappy, I have a couple of episcia. I just bought Episica witches kiss , and a few other plants from AVSA show we had here last week.

Gail beautiful episcia you have there.
Patti

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't know Houston had an AVSA show......I am going to Houston Sunday morning....for a few days....darn it!!! I could have come any time.....oh well, I would have spent money (LOL)

I never did order the episcias - the ones I liked I emailed the seller about. She said they were difficult to grow. So I never went ahead and got any. Are they more difficult than calatheas? I am having success with a Roseo-picta, which is putting out new leaves. So maybe I could keep them alive after all. . . ... hmmmm

Randi

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Calatheas hate me and me them!!!! Calatheas always need cool temps which I can't provide....episcias just want humidity and normal temps in the house.....I think they are very easy to grow....

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Gessiegail- Episcias need warmth and humidity and they are HAPPY. Calatheas are more difficult, IMO. I've killed several. I have a 'Makoyana'(sp?) that made it through the winter alright, but now is suffering from leaf spot. So, I'm trying to be careful of not getting water on the leaves when I water. If you don't get the temps and watering just right with Cals, you lose. I'd take an Episcia any day over a Cal!

GH

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.