Finally Found a Yellow Clivia I could afford.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

YAY!

Thumbnail by boojum
(Zone 1)

Where? I have been wanting a Clivia or Orange or Yellow for a long time, but haven't found any that are not super expensive!

That is soooo Pretty!

Lin

I got it my orange at a greenhouse/garden center in Newfane VT for $30. I got the yellow for $50 at a flower shop in Brattleboro VT. I've only seen them for $100 or more. It's still a lot, but I've waited a long time to bump into one rather than pay shipping, too.

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

I bought this one at Lowe's about a month ago, and it cost $15.99! It's called Golden Dragon.

Thumbnail by missy99912

You get the prize!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Beautiful clivia you guys! I've had my heart set on a variegated one but have never seen or found one in person. What's available online is so expensive and usually located in China or other such far away locations.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

It's a gorgeous flower. I've long coveted a yellow Clivia, but not unlike all of you, don't want to pay the outrageous prices for them. Logee's has the small ones in 2 inch pots for $19.95 or something like that. It's still too much for me to pay.

Apparently the yellows are surfacing at box stores on the West coast. Last Fall, someone from Arizona found one at HD.

GH,
Patiently waiting for the East Coast appearance

(Zone 1)

Guess I should live on the West Coast and not the East, huh? Sure wish our Lowe's would carry them! Yeah, Growhappy I've seen them in Logee's catalog and it's soooo tempting, but I just can't see paying $20 plus shipping for a 2" pot either!

I will be patiently waiting for them to appear on the East Coast too .... hopefully in Florida!

I want an Orange one and a wouldn't mind a Yellow too! They are just so pretty.

I also have an orange one growing outside. I harvested the seeds in December and planted them. I think they make cute babies! 2 of the seeds have sprouted a root but no leaves yet - these 2 are "shippable". This is probably the wrong forum to ask, but does anyone want to trade?

Thumbnail by missy99912

They are adorable!!

(Zone 1)

Oh Missy .... Me, Me, Me .... what are you looking for in trade?

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Boojum,That is gorgeous.I have always wanted one too but oh..the prices are little too steep for me.LOL
Missy,Yours is really pretty too and your babies are adorable : )

Plantladylin, do you have a caladium bulb? Prefereably pink and green, but white and green is ok too???

(Zone 1)

Missy ... I don't have any Caladium's Sprouting yet ... but ... If you are gracious enough to trade me a Clivia ... I will Gladly send you both pink and white Caladiums! What a Trade! I feel I'd be getting the better end of that bargain! Caladiums are rampant here in Florida! And ..... Cheap!

I don't see you in the address exchange, so we can exchange info through D-Mail. I'm going to send you a dmail right now.

Lin

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I don't know about where y'all live, but I've gotten to know the manager of the garden dept. at our Lowe's in Jackson, MS. If I ask her, she will make every effort to order plants I request. If there are stores on the west coast getting Clivias, other Lowes should be able to get them too. It's worth a try.

(Zone 1)

Our Lowe's as well as HD's are hopeless when it comes to asking them to order something special. They say they can't do it. I get so discouraged sometimes when I go to these Big Box Stores. I do buy many plants from them, but it's so awful when you see some of them floating in water and some of them half dead ... they get some Gorgeous Plants in and then don't know how to care for them. They either get NO water, or WAY TOO MUCH water! Doesn't seem to be a happy medium with these stores here in my area!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Guess we're really lucky. Jessica is a sweetheart and really works hard to run a good garden center. She tries to please her customers and works hard to make sure all her plants are cared for properly. I agree with you though, most of the big box stores have pitiful excuses for garden centers. I won't even go to our HD here in Vicksburg anymore.

Here's the clivia in it's new pot.

Thumbnail by boojum

Looks great! I don't dare try to grow mine in the house - I would kill them for sure.

Oh. . . . .. what a cutie! I'm jealous! I saw some clivias (no oranges or yellows though) in my HD the other day. They were in 1 gallon, I believe, pots. I was actually AFRAID to look at the price. I'd like to start out with a baby anyway. These were already maybe 18" from leaf end to leaf end.

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I also have been looking at the yellow. Someone traded me seeds for the orange. Only one sprouted. I have neglected it from time to time so it is only 8 inches high. Anyone know how long it would take until it blooms?
Linda

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How long does it take until seeds produce flowering plants?

A plant will generally flower 3 - 4 years after the germination of the seed.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I may not live long enough for mine to bloom.

(Zone 1)

Missy99912 sent me two little Clivia seedlings and I sure hope I can be a good Clivia Mom and have them survive! I have never considered myself a patient person when it comes to people, but with plants I have all the patience in the world! I would be sooooo thrilled if my little seedlings grow up, thrive and bloom in a few years!

I forgot to ask if they were yellow or orange in color! Doesn't matter one bit to me as long as they live! So far, so good!

Snowrose, the clivia blooms after it has produced about 13 leaves. Since it takes about a year to produce four leaves, your clivia should bloom after about three years. Keeping it in a small pot will delay the formation of blooms.

It's definately a waiting game with these guys.

Lin, the bloom will be orange.

This message was edited May 1, 2007 9:34 AM

(Zone 1)

Oh, Thank you Missy! I was hoping it was the Orange one! Yay!

The berries are ripening on my yellow one - those seeds should be ready by December!

(Zone 1)

Missy! Maybe we can make another trade next Spring too! :) If these two Orange ones you sent me do well, I will be wanting a yellow one too! By the way, do Clivia's come in any more colors besides Orange & Yellow?

There are peachy ones. Check this out! http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Clivia/Conway.html

Here's another pic of the same one in the first post in it's new pot.

Thumbnail by boojum
(Zone 1)

Thanks for the link! Wow! That is one Beautiful Plant and the Pot is Perfect for it!

Thanks! I have my orange one (not in bloom) in a matching pot.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I wish I knew what color mine are to be.

Lin, one of these berries has your name on it!
Makshi, yours is probably orange. The yellows only became readily available in the last couple of years. Peaches are still expensive, and the price of reds is hundreds. But they say we'll have reasonably priced reds and whites in the next couple of years.

Believe it or not, I was looking around for plants for my garden-in-progress yesterday and found clivias in both Lowe's and HD! They weren't variegated, but were in 6" pots for $12! And some were yellows! I think its because I live in California, and in some places clivia are seen growing abundantly. So that could explain the much lower prices here. There was one that was in an 8" pot for $4.97, but it had a bit of leaf spotting (not bad) but I didn't want to take a chance of it being diseased. If I could only keep it outside yearound that would be great, but here in the high desert it gets too cold in winter and I'd have to bring it in. And that brings up space issues. I also bought a plumeria (first time I've ever seen one of these offered anywhere around here) that is 22" tall, in a 6" pot. I've wanted one forever but didn't want to pay the high online prices. This guy was only $9.99! Of course, I'll have to bring it in over winter, and I don't know what color it will bloom, as the tag didn't say, but hey. . . .. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw it! I practically did a happy dance right there in front of HD employees! Although, I would bet it wouldn't be the first time it happened, LOL

Randi

Those prices are amazing! I wish we had those kinds of prices here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.