Let's See clumps! part 2

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The previous part of this thread is at:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/709663/

Fancy Dress is always a stand out.

Thumbnail by doss
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Fancy Dress is a truly approriate name. Look at those petticoats. Oo la la !!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

This is blooming now...it will be a clump when they all open....

Thumbnail by JanetS
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a vibrant raspberry color.

Here's a bunch of Pacific coast iris.

Thumbnail by doss
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful, I don't know if they grow in Georgia or not, but I haven't seen them here.

I love the one I posted....it is an older form but the color is just wonderful and I have grown quite fond of this form too....I have several from a friend and they have found a special place in my heart now...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Plants from friends are always a treasure. Pacific Coast Iris are pretty picky and don't do so well away from the coast. It may be too humid for them, I don't know.

Here's a bunch of "Curvy Course'.

Thumbnail by doss
Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Janet--Could yours be the same as mine, also a gift? I've been comparing the two pictures and they look identical to me. It's named Indian Chief.

Diane

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh my goodness. yes that does look just like mine, and I also googled it and it's description is what mine is also...I am thrilled to know it's name. Thanks so much Diane!!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

My biggest clumps are past their peak so here is a picture from last year. I'm not certain what these are but I think they're Dauntless.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2007 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, Kelli, I love those. They are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is Lady Friend from this morning.

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dauntless is sure lovely. Somehow it takes on more majesty when seen in a clump. And you know how I feel about Lady Friend, Texas. Could you post a photo of your garden? The iris in back of LF are temptime.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Texas, those are just beautiful..please post more!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are beautiful. What are they?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

They are http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72697/index.html

Those are really beautiful, Dale.

Dale - love those wild iris. Very lovely.

Doss- You know how I feel about LF too. What did you mean by "The iris in back of LF are temptime." What is temptime?

I am going to post several pictures of part of my back yard garden from left to right. I am sorry it was getting dark when I went outside to take them this evening. It is about 70 feel long and any where from 5 to 8 feet deep. If these kind of pictures weren't what you were looking for doss, please let me know. :-)

2nd one

3rd one

Last one

I have one other dedicated iris garden and another side garden with just a few iris in it. Hope you enjoy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Texas your garden is beautiful. And so is your Lady Friend. I hope mine blooms this year.

Doss, I love Curvy Course, Fancy Dress and, especially the Pacific Iris. I have never seen them before. They are kind of flat which I find especially charming. And the colors, ooh la la!

Dale,
Those wild iris are magnificent and what a large clump! You make me want to go photograph New Mexico's wild iris when they come out. Come to think of it that will be late May and Early June. They are lots smaller than yours in height and flower but they come in meadows. It is possible to see acres and acres of them up in the mountain meadows.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Texas - your hardscape is lovely and you've got so much color going. The iris in back of LF were TEMPTING!! LOL Oops

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Texas, you have beautiful beds~

Texas--What a gorgeous area you have. What do you grow there before and after the irises?

Thanks everyone. I have been working on it for about 5 years now.

gardengram - I have a few daylilies in there and lots of lilies amongst the iris. The dianthus blooms year round. I have St. Joseph's Lily, Sword Lilies, two polyantha roses, crepe myrtle, oxalis and mountain laurel. All summer and into the fall, there is lantana blooming in the half circles you see in front of the wall and salvia in the beds themselves. In the fall, I have lycoris blooming and the dwarf burford hollies with red berries.

We have such a long bloom season (not that I am complaining) it is a challenge to see if I can keep something in bloom or with color all year long. You may think that is counter intuitive but when you have a long bloom season, you really have to pace the timing of everything that blooms so it doesn't all bloom at once and peter out in a month or two.
Thanks again for the nice comments on my back garden.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

My pink finally came this year...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm still waiting for my first dwarfs to kick in. Hopefully, they will wait until I am back in iowa. Full iris bloom for me may be dicey this year. Everything got a hard freeze for a week in April followed by 3 inches of snow. Many droopy leaves that i had to trim. Will the TBs bloom properly? We'll see in a month or so...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean...I had several that were hit really hard by the late frost here...not sure some of them will bloom at this year....and some were new, so first year they were blooming in my garden too...makes you sad a little, then you see on that DID make it through and it brings smiles and promise! Have a great day!

Great pink Janet

Texas--I went through the same thing you did planning a long blooming season, and it took me five years also. Right now we have something in bloom all the way from February/March into October and then in December and January the camellias bloom. I love it!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've got the color thing about accomplished. I find that the sasanqua camellias make the bloom period even longer and can take a lot more sun than the japonicas.

Hmmm...maybe I need to look into camelias.

Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Iris 'Brindisi' taken Apr 19

Sorry for the mangy leaves :>( Need more Sluggo.

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Iris 'Titan's Glory' taken Apr 19

Thumbnail by chrisw99
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Texas, I love that pink one too, and it is one of my early ones as well. Do try the Camellia, I have three different ones and I love them! Mine bloom at different times as well....my Yuletide blooms in the the Winter here...it is really nice to have the season we do and be able to have flowers almost all year long!

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone for sharing. Some of mine are blooming, and it looks like a lot of them won't be... I'll just have to wait and see.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Dietes bicolor

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I just planted a bunch of dietes in the parkway. They are in the shade so they won't bloom but boy they will grow almost anywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.