Humansville, MO

i got two poinsettia
i would like to make them house plant
1 had purple leap
the other is a small red one here is a picture of them
how can i keep them going

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the time of year for pruning them. The small one I'd just prune a LITTLE, the larger one prune each branch in half. Keep the soil moist but NOT soggy for the next few weeks after pruning, no direct sun, bright filtered sun only for now.

Tom

Humansville, MO

thank
for the information
then what
do the flower again

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No personal experience, but from what I've heard it's a bit tricky to get Poinsettias to bloom again, if you're looking for pretty blooms for the holidays next year you're probably better off getting new ones.

Humansville, MO

thank

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

To get to rebloom they MUST have 12-14 hours or TOTAL DARKNESS for 49+ straight nights come the beginning of October. I mean NO LIGHT what so ever during the 12-14 hour night period each night. In the mroning place back in a bright window.

Tom

We grow ours out year round. When the nights start getting longer around October ... they start to get real colorful.
We have had them in a pot outside and in the ground. The same plant in the ground grows tall and bushy around 3-4 feet in the ones year. The potted plant grew some but only about one ft and bushy but both were solid red by Thanksgiving.
Neighbors thought they were silk plants.
Their a type of plant that seemd to know when the nights get longer to bloom just like Holiday/Chritstmas cactus . We have some in pots some in the ground the same thing happens to them .
We grow our poinsettias here in hot direct light in Sunny Florida. They are very drought tolerant and never wilted even on the hottest sunny summer days. They require very little care .
We also feed them. Our

Humansville, MO

thank-you for all the inforamtion
will try and see how it go

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.