Shade Cloth

West Bridgewater, MA

hello guys,

I have tried the search mode but I have lots of trouble w/ it. It takes forever and never the question I ask..?
Sorry if this has benn covered a lot.

I would like to know more about shade cloth.

What the best colors are.? I heard that black might injure polycarbonate panels???
What % of shade is needed for different flowers and vegetables??.
What is the best material it is made from?

Is there a site I can go to to read all about it? I tried on the internet but got mostly ads for sale with very little real helpful information.

Anything you have to say will be a help to me.

Thanks,
Keywest

West Bridgewater, MA

One important question to me.

How much of the greenhouse do you actually cover?
Just the roof - both sides? Or do you continue doen the sides a little?

Take care,
Keywest

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

I've only had my gh a few months, so I'm no expert, but I can tell you from personal experience that I'm not thrilled with my shadecloth. I'm thinking about ordering gh paint and using that, because the shadecloth covers the whole house and I only really need part of the top and front shaded.

What I really need is something for heat control. I've tried bubble wrap and that does reduce the temp, but not by more than 10 degrees. When you have a really small gh the light/heat problems are intensified. I probably wouldn't be having such a hard time with this if it were bigger.

Good luck!
Ann

Fulton, MO

Keywest, this is a start: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/strucs/2002045746008090.html

Too much shade will reduce plant growth, but too much heat may have the same effect, so you have to find a balance. If mounting on the inside the Aluminet is a better product. I have heard about damage to PC from shade cloth...could be a myth, I don't know...but this is perhaps part of the rationale for suspending the shade cloth above the glazing when mounting on the outside.

It is not necessary to cover the sides. I use 50% shade cloth with no problems with plant growth in the summer.

West Bridgewater, MA

Stressbaby & missy,

Thanks so much for your help, it can save others years of trial and error.
What a blessing this internet can be!

Greenhouses, fun stuff - so far...

Stressbaby thanks for Orchid Dudes info. I expect our GH to
arrive within the next week as it has been shipped from B.C. on
the 5'th.
Rain forecast for next 6 out of 10 days, yea !..??

I was able to find an answer you gave on another site and the
Aluminet seems like a very good product.
I also would like to mount it on the inside to keep it clear of the
roof vents and make it last longer.
I'm just guessing @ 50 % following your most gracious lead and
installing some kind of roll up system would be just great.??

I am assuming I should get enough to cover both sides of the roof only?

I've been searching for some kind of a pulley system I can rig up
inside to roll it up or perhaps to drop it from the peak to the break
in the side wall & let it stay there?

Great advice and I relish it.

Take care,
Keywest

Fulton, MO

I have picture details on my shade cloth suspension system on computer at home. Will post. If I forget, Dmail me.

West Bridgewater, MA

stressbaby,

I'll be looking forward to that.

Keywest

Fulton, MO

1/2 galvanized pipe frame runs all the way around the perimeter of the GH. This supports the edge at the eave and the sides.

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

The first pic was the eave. This is one of the sides. The shade cloth is attached with plastic ties to the sides, and it slides up and down. In the winter I tie it up around the pipe at the eave. In the summer, I just take off the ties and slide it up the pipes along the sides.

Edited to say that the only weak part of the system is the plastic ties. The sunlight breaks down the plastic so they only last 1-2 years. They're cheap, so it's not a big deal to replace them, but I'm still looking out for a better system.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2007 5:58 AM

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

This is the top. I ran 3/16" garage door cable along the GH at what would be the top edge. Then when I raise the shade cloth I pull it tight and clip it with caribiners (sp?) to the cable. You can see the opening for the ridge vent.

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

It is a big shade cloth, 10' x 22', so it sags a bit in the middle. I support it with additional 3/16" garage door cables run from the ridge edge down to the eave edge. I use an overhead mist system to help cool in the summer. Obviously it can't be placed above the shade cloth. So this set of cables serves a second role as a support for the mister system.

I thought about a systemt that could be rolled up and down, but I couldn't quite get the details right in my GH. This system is pretty quick and easy. I can get my shade cloth up or down in just a couple of minutes.

Hope that helps.

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

WOW
Stressbaby your greenhouse looks amazing
Linda

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I use black woven fabric shading in two densities, 40% which goes on about March 15, and 55% which I put on (replacing the 40%) on about June 1. They go off in the opposite sequence in the Fall. This allows the plants to "evolve" into the Summer intensity but remain in good color and conformation. Deciduous trees on the west side of the GH are a big help in the Summer.

Both cloths are pulled up over the top with bailing twine (the orange nylon stuff). Since I'm using 6 mil poly the "damage" to the poly is minimal and since I replace the top poly every two years it really makes no difference.

A real challenge is growing Tropicals along with annuals and veggie seedlings. The tropicals want to be in the shade while the seedlings want to be in the sun. It makes things difficult. My 40% cloth which is still on is a little smaller than the top poly sheet allowing me to grow the seedlings in mostly full sun. But it takes juggling the other plants in the GH. It's nice being retired to finally have the time to do it right!

West Bridgewater, MA

stressbaby,
thanks for finding your pictures so quickly. I really like the system. I think I can use that with your permission in mine.
The Greenhouse has arrived @ the trucking terminal here and scheduled for a rainy delivery monday the 16'th. Rain forcast for the next 7 of 9 days...
I like your solution very much, thanks again.

digital_dave, I can see the reasoning of having 2 densities. I hope to get by with just one thou.

It's 8.6 x 14.6', any recommendations as to density? I'm thinking 50% in the Alumniet.

Thank's guys,
Keywest

Greensboro, AL

stressbaby: you cannot imagine how useful your photos and explanation of April 12 are to me. It is so hot here. I have shade cloth, but no one to help me get it up. You have shown me the way.

thanks,

gloria

Fulton, MO

Anytime, Gloria.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Stressbaby,

I was looking at your shade cloth setup and wondered if some ball chain would work instead of those plastic ties.

http://www.ballchain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=BCM&gclid=CPCegsWK74sCFR6AWAodpA4lVQ

David

Fulton, MO

That's a good idea, David. I may try that.

West Bridgewater, MA

Hi gang,

A question about mounting a shade cloth on the outside...

If I did want to mount a shade cloth outside, what do I do about the 2x4 roof vents that automatically open?
I need the ventillation and would hate to cut the cloth???

What is the right way to mount it over the roof vents???
I'm lost on that one.

Keywest

Keywest, my shadecloth is on the outside, and I cut the cloth along the sides and front of the vent. The little flap that's left just kind of folds back because there's no way to make it stick to the vent, and so I painted the vent itself with greenhouse paint. An added bonus - having the shadecloth cut out around the vent also helps it to stay in place., because sometimes it's pretty windy here.

Ann

West Bridgewater, MA

Thanks missy,

I was wondering if it would unravel cutting it around the vent but it sounds like it would work ok..

I would like to put it inside like stressbaby but don't think I'll get there this year.

Your answer is appreciated.

Paul

Beaumont, TX

Missy, They make a velcro that has peel and stick adhesive on it. Maybe you could sew the loop part on the shade cloth, then use the peel/adhesive fuzz on the vent. ALtho...I've tried using the peel and stick on my sewing machine and the glue messes with my needle so if I were doing it I'd probably get both kinds to make it easy on myself. Or maybe next time try beezwax on the needle to keep the sticky off it. hmmmm ...maybe you could leave the adhesive cover strip on the back while you sew it.

I did try the peel and stick velcro, but when it gets hot it just comes off the polycarbonate and the aluminum frame. It didn't really matter so much with the vent anyway, because when the vent is in its "up" position the sun shines directly through the hole that the vent covers!

Beaumont, TX

LOL Well then a lot of good it would do ! You did such a nice job on your cover. It looks great ! Is that shade cloth difficult to sew? I am contemplating making a cover for the patio area and was checking out this gazebo type shade thing these friends had at a crawfish boil this weekend to see how they are constructed. Does it unravel on the edges and need to be finished?

Beaumont, TX

I have worked with it, but the last time I did there was no sewing. I stapled it to a frame then hoisted it up with chains. It really made a huge difference in the sun on that area where it hangs.

I ended cutting off some of the sides on mine because it was too shady in there. I haven't seen any unraveling, and I don't think it will. It was the easiest stuff to sew I've ever worked with.

I think it depends on who makes it, as far as the unraveling is concerned. Even if you were to get a kind that doesn't have a stable edge, it's no big deal to turn it under and sew up the edge. It holds a finger crease perfectly - no pinning!

West Bridgewater, MA

Streebaby,

I got the Aluminet shade in 50%. I want to mount it inside eventually but don't think this year.
Will Aluminet unravel if cut?

Keywest

Fulton, MO

Nope. I cut a hole for the arm of my ridge vent motor, and it has not advanced in 3 years.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I buy shade cloth in all weights and colours and sizes from these manufacturers.
S&O Corp.
1-800 624 7853

www.windscreen.bigstep.com

I don't know how to make that into a hyperlink for you folks.
I found that if I need a hem on these, it is easy enough to turn and fold the
hem by hand, and just hammer it in place with those hammer in grommet sets.
They don't unravel though.
I am looking at the wind screen now. Our place gets pretty windy!
Oh jeeze, I forgot...I could have made the chicken pasture, 400feet of fencing,
from this stuff too....
hmmmm what else can I do with their products? LOL.
Hope this helps you all.
sheri

Greensboro, AL

Looks like a valuable resource, thanks.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

WigglyPaw--
Thanks for that link. They are also cheaper in price than a lot of the "gardening oriented" products I've seen.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.