Brazilian Fireworks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This is a new plant for me this year and have never seen it before in my area. I purchased it not long ago at a local nursery. The latin name is 'Maracas Porphyrocoma'. I tried rooting a cutting in water and it rooted quickly.

I found more info about it here -

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=4657&scChannel=Top%20Ten%20Easy-Care

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Flower up close....

Thumbnail by Snowrose
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That's a beautiful plant!

I had one myself last year....nice photos!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Did you like it, Nan? I've never had it before but am enjoying it so far. Did you put it outside for the summer? if so, in shade?

(Zone 1)

Nice Plant Snow! I've never seen or heard of that one before ... Love the foliage as well as the flower!

Lin

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, I loved mine.
It's definitely one of those plants whose foliage alone is enough to love it, don't you agree?

It was a very thirsty plant, if I recall, and it *did not* like to dry out!

I did put mine in a rather 'shady' spot on my sunporch during the summer, so it got very bright but indirect light.

When I brought it indoors for the winter, one of the kids knocked it off the shelf during one of their indoor ball games, and by the time I noticed it.....too little, too late!! (GRRRR!!!)

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh My,I love that too Snow.That is gorgeous.I wonder too how it would do outside?
Nancy

Edited to add..Thanks Nan for answering my question on how it would do outside.LOL we must have posted at the same time : ))

This message was edited May 22, 2007 10:58 AM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i am thinking about buying this plant....according to all my documentation this is considered and annual; nowhere does it say it is a house plant.....; does anyone know if it can be used indoors....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Whether you use this splendid tropical plant indoors, in containers, or in the warm shady garden, Brazilian Fireworks Maracas is a year-round delight. With its long, angular leaves of deep green scored with silver and its central bloom cluster of vivid pink and purple, it distinguishes itself beautifully as an oasis of rich color and fascinating foliage.

Outdoors, Brazilian Fireworks blooms all summer, and offers the best foliage variegation in deep shade. What a nice change of pace for the shady border -- large-leafed, lush tropical beauty! In containers and indoors, it remains neat and symmetrical, making a charming poolside addition. Just 8 to 10 inches high and a bit less wide, it fits neatly into standard 6-inch pots.

From here -
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=41372&scChannel=Top%20Ten%20Main

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i had read that....but i wanted a 'real' persons narrative on it...parks even has it on sale buy 3 get 3 free...i am thinking thinking thinking...i told myself no more annuals ....no more annuals...no more...ahem...i guess you get the gest of my thinking:)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

sticks_n_stones, I wish I could be of some real help to you but I gave my plant away. I understand your thinking.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

snowrose...your great...i just can't decide if it is the plant for me....i mean after all it is a major investment?(grin)...but i just hate to buy annuals...but i am a mostly shade hot yard so it sounds like it might be for me...then i could bring it in in the winter

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You could try them. They like heat and shade, some humidity too I imagine. The one I had liked to stay moist. It might do well in the house over winter or stay alive till the next summer. My sister has a plant called Jacobinia that seems similar in many ways although taller and she keeps hers from year to year.

What plants do well for you in your environment?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well i kinda have the run of the mill stuff...impatiens caladiums coleus geraniums ee petunias salvia daylilies mums ivys begonias spv jasmine vine alternathea boginvilla hibiscus roses iris penstomen daisy echinacia grasses hostas abelia ...this is my second year of gardening so i am still learning lots....i have full sun in the back yard and shade in the front yard

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You might call what you have run of the mill but I think what you have is all so beautiful. Only your second year? Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

snowrose ...you are very kind:)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I never would have dreamed up looking in Park Seed for this delicious looking plant...........soooo fine, Snowrose!!!!!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Hey sticks- you got me kinda curious if this was an annual or what... according to this...
http://seedrack.com/special.html
it's a tender perennial that can be grown as an annual and specifically says can be grown as houseplant. ; )

Quoting:
* A Fantastic FoliageŽ selection in North America!
* Quick germination in 4 - 5 days!
* Maracas Brazilian Fireworks is a heat-loving tropical shade plant that also makes a great houseplant.
* Grown for its variegated foliage and unique bicolor
pink and purple flowers.
* Grow as an annual or tender perennial.

This site tends to be a bit expensive...I wasn't able to get the parkseed link to work, but if it's cheaper there, then hey...go for it! ; D

Congratulations on scoring a VERY nice looking plant, Snowrose. ; D

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Someone said Logees was carrying it, so I also looked to see what they said about it:
http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1520-2

Says it's hardy to zone 10. If it's hardy to zone 10, it's gotta be a tender perennial.

Does anyone else think the bloom looks kinda like a shrimp plant?

Well...goodnight, all! lol

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

I think they look like shrimp because they are both in the Acanthaceae family. Trader Joe's has these for sale right now in a 4" pot (huge and full and blooming) for $2.98.
I grabbed a few and like Nan says, they are very thirsty plants. But I've had mine for a few months now and so far so good. I'm rooting a few cuttings and if they strike, I'll be happy to share.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yall are enablers...(grin)...but i may have to get some...; i am trying to find perennials that are hardy in my zone...and/or stuff i can bring in but i am sure doing alot of bringing in.....so i am trying to be good....may still have to have some ....and will keep everyone posted:)

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Snowrose,

What a Beauty...love it love it LOVE IT....i seen that ebay has seeds, wonder how hard it would be to grow from seeds.

Hmmm, might give it a try.

Char

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

char it sez that these come up in 4 days....

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I think i might try it then...for 20 seeds it will be $8.25 not to bad
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAZILIAN-FIREWORKS-MARACAS-SEEDS-FANTASTIC-NEW-PLANT_W0QQitemZ190112062870QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3183QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Char

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

red_princess,
Would be fun to see they how they do from seeds especially now that it's warm outside. You could start them in a pot.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to let you all know i received my seeds for the Brazilian Fireworks today...gonna see how they do and if they do good then i have some i will share.

Char

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yippee ..let us know:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.