Gloxinia

Columbus, NC(Zone 7b)

Two years ago I cloned two gloxinias from the leaves of a gloxinia that bloomed profusely. My two new gloxinias have grown to be gorgeous plants with lots of leaves, but so far have only produced one flower between them. Any ideas? I fed them with Osmocote. Thanks!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Not really knowing much about your gloxinias as far as your conditions, light, temperature, humidity, fertilizer, etc., it's kind of hard to say why they are being stingy with blossoms. I hope this helps.

Quote:

"Gloxinia – The culture of gloxinia is similar to that of the African violet. The mound of large, velvety leaves forms the perfect background for the large trumpet-shaped flowers. Each flower can be as large as 5 inches or more in diameter. The vivid colors include pink, red, purple, blue, and white. Getting a gloxinia to bloom requires warm temperatures (65-70oF at night and somewhat warmer during the day), a humid atmosphere, and good ventilation. At temperatures below 60oF at night, the growth is nil. Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged, and make sure the drainage is satisfactory. "

Columbus, NC(Zone 7b)

Interesting. Maybe they will blossom this year as the temperature warms up. Thank you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I hope they will bloom nicely for you. When they do, please post some pictures of them. Gloxinias are so beautiful. You must have a green thumb growing them from leaves. Good luck...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.