3rd Annual So Cal RU May 19, 07 - Part 2

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

We are continuing from this thread as it was getting to long. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/689654/#new

Come one, come all to a great DG garden gathering of wonderful people, food, plants and entertainment. This is going to be a "Mexican Fiesta" with all the flare that drdon and Pam can sponsor on their beautiful ranch. All the information is on the first thread, but you can go here for plant trading http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/698934/
Go here to list what food item you would like to bring http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/694407/

The list of who is attending so far...

A list of who is coming:

Dave...our cute webmaster from Texas
drdon and Pam....our hosts
SoCal
Iroot
Wcgypsy & 2 friends
Roadrunner from Arizona
Rusty56 from Missouri
Frogsrus
Ezylivin
BloomsWithaView from Utah
Spin and DH
TwinLakesChef from Iowa
Amarantha00
Kachinagirl
Weegy12 plus mom and aunt
Zuzu
Quyen
JasperDale
Kanita
Hellnzn11
Kaperc and DH
HaroldS and Ann from Arizona & guest Beverly
rosewynd
Lovesopera
Dovey and Matt
4xthfun from Texas
zostropz and Camille
jazmine188
George and Sue
Kassia from Massachusetts
CBernard and wife
maggiemoo from Texas
Tleaves, husband and 12 yr. son
steph_gem
balvine from Washington

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here and we will answer anything you need to know. Don will give us directions when the time gets closer.

Donna

This message was edited Apr 28, 2007 11:28 PM

This message was edited May 1, 2007 10:32 PM

This message was edited May 8, 2007 11:46 PM

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Kassia let me tell you something that these guys have not mentioned about Cal. so in case, you will not be shocked. Mother nature doesn`t always take her lithium here so it can be cold and overcast or windy(hot or cold), there could be rain or it could be 108 degrees. Bring some warm clothes just in case.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Dull and overcast like today??!??!? It's drizzly here too but I know the afternoon will bring plenty of sunshine. Then I will come to life.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

kayperc,
Not sure I want to be in THAT club! We are on a lake in the country in Iowa and I know we have plenty of gophers somewhere but NOT in my yard. I don't think they like all the hardscape I have.

Gee, Donna! I hadn't looked at your first post in a while - we are getting to be a large group! I do notice a lot of new people - where are the old ones that have been to this round-up in the past? Are they lurking? on the fence? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

This is our house in Iowa from the lake side

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I heard it is supposed to rain tomorrow, so don`t count on it mrs. close to the beach. i did not lie about our weather though did I? We went to the laughlin River Run one year and about died of heat stroke in April and another year, we froze. Plus the day could be one way and the evening polor opposite, especially where I live. 4th of July night it is always windy and usually cool or cold and the day could have been 110.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Nice house lady. Hey I need an adjustment. Do people always do that to you? I use to dread family reunions in Ohio because if one person asked for a massage, 20 people started lining up. I`m too nice so one year people started lineing up on a picnic table to get massaged and I did it. After that I started wearing my braces to Ohio.

We don't like the house much but we do like the lake.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Lovely setting, TwinLakesChef. It's OK, you can be an honorary member of the gopher club.

Kassia, too true about the weather I'm afraid - it can be very iffy this time of year. Who says we don't have seasons? When we have family visiting from England they look at us funny when we put our jackets on. Layers are the answer! Then you can start peeling as the sun comes out! And don't be fooled by the overcast - you still need sunscreen. Don't let us scare you - it will be wonderful.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Arlene, you can give me the house! That does it, I have to go see this house. It's beautiful.
Dawn, you spoiled my day...rain tomorrow????? I am so sick of rain and wind. Yeah, yeah we need it, blah blah blah. Where's my sun?!?!??
I'm not too close to the beach about a half hour if no traffic.
Oh yes kaper, I laid out in the overcast beach when I was young and cute trying to get cuter by tanning, I was off work for about a week with second degree burns. Foolish, indestructible, stupid me!
Hey but my tan was nice!!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

ditto to that past. In Ohio they always comment on how white we are. lol I look way older than my friends back east because of sun damage so I do not go without sunblock. I have real light green eyes and I am predisposed to skin cancer now, I hear. Layering is the trick, you are so right. I just would hate to see cassia with shorts only.

Yes, weegy, been there done that. Does the term sun poisoning sound familiar? I swelled up like a balloon once and that was my final lesson - I'm ashamed to say I was a so-called adult. When I was young, my mom would look at the whites of my eyes and pronounce beach or no beach. My tan was nice one year in my life - and now I have brown spots!

Dawn, my eyes are green, too - my ancestry is half Irish, the rest English and Welsh - don't talk to me about being white! lol

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

me too, Irish grandfather but he has an English name, was told he was from Ireland though and my dad is from the Ukraine, all the family on his side is olive but he is white and light hair and the only one with light eyes. I have cherokee in me but it is washed out. I use high sunblock and garden so long i still get a little red faced for a day or so. no bueno.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

HI GUYS!!!!!!! well, I am happy to say I AM GOING!!!!!!!!! I just spoke with Alicia's mom and she will fly with me on the 17 of may.... I told her if she wants she can come to RU!!!! she is a wonderful person!!!! so I will not fly alone.... and she will stay with her daughter and I stay with Steph.... I am dreaming and doing the snooopyy dance... I am going to San Diego... I am going to San Diego!!!!!!!!!! pretend you can hear me singing a silly song!!!!!!!!!!

and to make it all better the landscaper just came in today (yes we still have some snow ) and he is digging up ALL the overgrown bushes around the house to make a way for the roses!!!!!!! my family will have a heart attack today when they get home from work!!!!! oh what a sight!!!! my garden looks HUGE now..... a thing of beauty..... well, not yet!!!!!!

Weegy,

You wouldn't like it if you were here when we had this . . .

It looks like this in the summer . . .

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Tell me about it...my son was born in a blizzard in Iowa in April. 60 miles to the hospital. With the heater broken in the van. And 2 dogs, one who gets carsick. I decided he would be an only child.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

TWC, all that needs is a maraschino cherry and some chopped pecans !

balvenie,

You didn't see the red cherry scooping in the white stuff?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Holy Cow!
Does your morning glory come back every year?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Hola, Fiona checking in again.

My mother has bequeathed the loving nickname of "tadpolesrus" to me. Ha...ha...ha. ANYWAYS!

I am sitting her typing on the computer with my flute on my lap for "Danse de la Chevre" has just come into my possession. It's the cute little song about the goat that roadrunner told me to look at. It's very cute! Yay. so that should be very good.
Oh and Jethro Tull is still sounding like Jethro Tull so that's good.

That's about it for now. I'm going to go play through the dance of the goat uno mas time and it shall be wounderful... in May that is. Right now some of the faster parts are still a bit edgy but playable. Okies.

TTFN: Ta Ta For Now!
Fiona

I just found a sample of Danse de la Chevre on the web http://www.arabesque-duo.com/sonata.htm
- it IS cute.

Look forward to hearing the full piece, tadpole. :-)

Toodle pip!
K

Crossville, TN

And ya'll thought I just knew Hillbilly!!! HAH!

Thanks, Fiona. Jo

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Final I'm home on March 26 at 11:55pm... Rusty is happy to get his guard back yard! lol.....

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

thank God safely home

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You're right Arlene, no snow for me.
Rusty, glad you're home safe. See you in May.
Kassia, looking so forward to meeting you.
My ears are a little sunburnt from working in the garden these past few days but now I hear rain tomorrow and boy oh boy is it cold outside. Well, spring is coming in slowly.
Where in the heck is the sunshine??!?!?!?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am fried and i was working in the yard from 10:30 to 6:30 with sunblock 45

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It rained up here most of the day, and even when it wasn't raining, it was too cold and windy to go outside. It's 39 degrees here right now, and tomorrow's low is supposed to be back down to 35 degrees. Where did my wonderful California weather go? It's hard to believe I used to have a tan by the end of February. The last two years have disenchanted me big-time.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Now I have Iris is growing but no flowers yet!

My back yard is messing it time to clean up from front to back yard and I have to till on ground is good!

I see you in May. I have 3 Round Up in April 28, May 5 and May 19 I hope I make it all Round Ups!

Time I have go back to work soon! Taxi Time!

Anna

Dovey,

Grandpa Ott's MGs come back every year. The pink one on the pergola is a Japanese Morning Glory that I started indoors ahead of time.

I do truly appreciate the flute. My daughter was quite an accomplished flautist sp?

Rain, you say! Yesterday here in Iowa it was 70 degrees and sunny. The rest of the week we will be having some rain showers. So I guess I better get back out to the yard so I can dodge the drops.

Arlene

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Today is absolutely beautiful, big white puffy clouds, looks like it might have rained last night. It's cold and windy though. Arlene, send that 70 degree weather here where it belongs!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

It`s cold and windy here too and elm tree things are blowing all over and fl mulberry things too, atleast the birds are after them instead of my freshly planted wildflower seed as they were scavenging them. My dh saw snow on cars coming in to Boron from Tehachapi this morning going to work. I am freaking about my crepe myrtles, they do not look like they want to leaf out but they are alive. My one I pklanted from seed that germinated in a few days is leafing out but it is an inch high. grrr I could not handle your blizzardArlene.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's pic of McDonald, again! When I was take a break...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Weegy,

We are running 30 degrees above normal for this time of year!

zone11,
Iowa is normally very mild on winters; the last time we had a storm like this was in the 70's.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Wind, rain & power outages here.
Maybe we'll get some pretty wild flowers this year.

Arlene,
I know MGs are near indestructible, but that's amazing.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'd say you are Arlene. Well share some with me will ya?!!!?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

sunset zone 11. We are complaining now Elaine but wait till summer they say it is going to be another long hot scorcher. So glad I am making a microclimate on the east side now, have had no luck on the west side but weed control and the rabbits have left some fertilizer for me to scoop up on what is left of my grass on that side.

Sending warm weather your way, Weegie. I leave for there one week from today and don't want to leave warm to come into cold!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Arlene, I haven't gotten it yet. Call when you get into town and we can maybe meet for lunch. The iris garden will be in full bloom in the next few weeks, you and Mike just have to come see it. Then we'll do lunch!

Weegy,
From Fri on I will be entrenched in Easter cooking as I will have a whole houseful for the entire week-end. I have already comitted to go to Donna's on Thursday to make labels for her garden tour. Hate to ask, but would you want to come to Donna's and we could do lunch around there?

Otherwise, I could drive up the Monday after Easter cause I really DO want to see your garden!

What do you think? either . . . or?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

...or both! I'll drive down there. I've been wanting to see Donna's house and I don't think she'll mind. Let me know all the details and I'll be there. How's that sound? I forgot about Easter! Uh oh, I better start planning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.