Growling in the woods, torn trees, need help.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I walk in the woods same pattern every day with the dog. I never go into the swamp, or over the ridge alone. I know the animals are more scared of me, but I do not want to bug them. I have been walking for many years and have only been scared once before when a couple of large mean dogs came out of nowhere a half mile back in the woods and I was lucky to get back in one piece.
Friday I was walking as usual, not realizing that the ice did harden up overnight, without my yak traks, walking carefully around the ice on the trails while the dog was chasing a raccoon up a tree nearby when I heard a growl from over the ridge. I stopped, then again, I wasn't really sure what I was hearing, then really loud growl/yell. I got the dog and walked as quickly back to the house as I could with the ice, cursing at myself for not wearing the yaks. I then went to the store and got a big canister of bear spray. I have always felt safe in the woods and did not like being frightened. So I figure bear spray is good protection whatever it was growling at me. I could feel safe again. I am sure I will never have to use it, but it makes me feel better.
The next day we went to the area I heard the growl. 4 trees were scratched up pretty good, all right together. Looked like bobcat. We have seen prints and sign and even seen them, but not in this area. As we were looking for antler shed in another area. We found this tree, and about 14 others that had been scratched. This one bothered me as the scratching were so high up and so much. Most other high scratches were few. The dog was great to get into the picture as size reference. I do not think it is bear, as the scratches seem to be not too deep, also there are scratchings on a tipped cedar where it looks like a cat sat to watch deer come in to feed (on the trail where I walk by the way) There has been cougars sightings in the area, but I tend to scuff at them. I guess my question is....can a bobcat do this? What is your ideas?????
The weather has suddenly gotten warmer. It has been 50'-60' for the last 3 days. The birds are birding the animals have spring fever. I was happy to see evidence of my fear to show the DH, but am confused to the nature of the beast.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is a nice closeup.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Here are the 4 trees, they are about 50 yards over the ridge from where I had been. The scratching looked fresh. The snow had melted in the last two days and ground was not right to see footprints of any kind. Even in the swamp, prints degrade in the wet muck in a day or so. Saw no prints to identify, execpt for choc lab, of course.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, scary! I don't have any idea on what made the scratches, they seem high for a bobcat. Just be very careful, don't discount the damage a bobcat can do. A woman I know, a DEP ranger, was atacked by one in one of our state parks. Her Kevlar vest saved her. That and the fact she was able to pull her gun and wound it herself. Imagine shooting something on your own back!! Her partner finally killed it . It was rabid and I guess that might make a difference.

It looks like a beautiful place to walk. Hope you solve the mystery...from a distance LOL

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. This is one reason I walk the same path every day and the dog helps run the squirrels out of my path LOL. The woods are different every day and so much to see. I love it. I do wait until full light to walk which also helps. I have been known to carry a gun at times of the year like this, but I feel the bear spray will be a great boost to my confidence. I do not really want a wounded animal attacking either. I don't want to hurt them, it is their territoy. I feel I am as safe as joggers in the city. My story of getting eatten by a bear would just be way cooler that getting hit by a bus. Seriously, you just need to be careful and try to educate yourself. I just would like to know what I am up against.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

So what is bear spray...sorta like pepper spray?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is a larger can and formulated to make a barrier between you and a bear, or even temp bring one to a halt. Works better than a gun and doesn't have a long term effect like a bullet. It is of course not fool proof. An animal can attack you without you knowing, but it does make you feel a little safer.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
So what is bear spray...sorta like pepper spray?

If pepper spray is a spray made with pepper, then bear spray is a spray made with bears

;-)

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

So, following Resin thought process is Pam Cooking Spray made with....

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Too funny.
I can see myself now, trying to spray a bear with pam. This stuff is suppose to be really strong, the whole can (and it is bigger than the size of a pam can) discharges in 10 seconds. My luck the wind would be blowing at me! I think you guys should walk with me, we can see who can run the fastest.

Just as long as you don't use baby powder . . . (though maybe that's just ordinary powder that hasn't grown up yet ;-)

Me, I couldn't bear to spray something in a bear's face . . . don't know what I'd do! Perhaps just grin and bear it.

Resin

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I think I would have no problem spraying a bear if he was that close. If I could hold my hand steady, that is. I am hoping I never have to use it of course, but to save my life, you bet I would use it. That is what it is for.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I wonder how well it would work...is it possible you'd just have a p/o'd bear?
I'd love to make that walk with you...take lots of pictures next time!

Crivitz, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, I only have one thing to say.
I would NEVER walk in those woods again!!!
It's probably a yetee or sasquatch!!
and those are mating marks scratched on
the trees!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL,
It is scary but the tree markings are fasinating. I love walking in the woods and do not want to stop. I just want to be safe.
Flor-
From what the can says, it is a strong pepper spray that makes so the bear can't see and smell and then you can hopefully get away. They are back to their normal bear selves in a matter of minutes.
I tell you I now walk with one eye in the trees. The trees are bare yet and animal lumps are easy to spot. I sometimes see porcupine, opposum or a raccoon just hanging out up there. But I guess I need to look for the higher ups on the food chain.

Citra, FL

Could it be a deer or a moose scratching their antlers? I dont know anything at all about this particular sort of thing, but it looks more to me like that than claw scratchings.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You are right, could be anything. At first I thought it was birds stripping the bark for nests. Then I saw claw marks. We have no moose and I am sure it is not deer. There are some deer rubs in the area. No, this has claws, very sharp claws.
The bear scratching I have seen here before is not as intense an area, only a couple swipes and very deep.
It is funny, DH brought the paper home from the city he works in and they had a big article about all the cougar sightings in MI the last 2 years. DNR is now saying there may be cougars, there are many confirmed scat, video, photos, but the only one the DNR verifies is the one hit by a car. (couldn't deny that one). A friend of DH hunts coyotte about 20 miles north of here and saw not only a cougar, but 2 cubs, 2 years ago. So I guess it is possible.
We have been in the woods alot the last few days, with quads, hauling wood, fixing a washed out bridge, cutting some dead trees fallen over the trails, so maybe we scared it out. What ever "it" is.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Cpartschick, I love the woods, but mention cougar and I'll find another route. I had a mental vision of about 3 of us walking with you and all of us running, me in the lead :)) Neat scratchings tho. I'd love to see what's doing it.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yeah, that is an old joke. Out running the bear. You don't have to outrun the bear, just the others in your group.
It has been really nice walking lately, no gloves, no hat. You can still see your breath, but it is warm enough...and no bugs. Seen quite a few deer the last few days too. Very relaxing, until that ruffled grouse flew up only a few feet from me. My heart actually stopped for a minute. Dog is suppose to roust those out for me.

(Zone 3b)

Sure sounds nice, seeing deer and just being out and about. By the way, I loved the photo of the pond/boat on another thread - looked so peaceful out there. I'll bet it did startle you when the grouse flew up -
24*F @ 2:15 today. Did reach 31 yesterday, things are looking up.
Kiska

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

cpartschick,
Just make sure the wind is at your back when you spray the bear/bobcat/deer/??? with bear spray, or you'll make things even easier for him. ;) Stay safe!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Grinning. Think I'll stay in the lead then.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I think there is safety in numbers. I don't run that fast, but I can trip ya. Yesterday got a possum in my live trap that had only half a tail and a 5" section of fur missing by his neck with scratches. He had been tangling with something! A big kitty would have killed him for sure, I think this might have been 2 males fighting over a female. You know those possum are quite manly, having 2...um...you know whats...instead of one like every other male.
Interesting ugly creature.
Kiska, it was in the middle 50's yesterday, we were raking up those nasty oak leaves that wait until june to fall off, when I looked out on the water and it was glass. DH and I went and changed and got the paddle boat out, put the plugs in and went for a nice ride. I should have taken the camera. Geese, ducks, swans all flying over our heads, turtles out sunning, wind started up and when we got back we had quite the storm. (no warning, darkness, etc,execpt for the calm, I guess) Love your picture in the spring photos of shoveling the roof. I had to laugh, looks like around here!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't run so fast either. Guess I'll be looking over my shoulder watching you!

I thought I knew everything about possums, but I didn't, um, know that. Interesting but eewww :))

Sounds like a lovely day right down to the storm. Glad you got back before it hit. We had a lovely storm Sat. nite. I was on the sideporch sorting old flower catalogues listening to the rain hit the plastic, and the thunder booming. It was wonderful since we had no tornado warnings close by.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

'Howdy' cpartschick ..

Been following this thread, myself .. and have been mitey curious also, about your finding out what/which critter had been raking the trees and made the growls ..

Could a Wolverine or Fisher possibly be the varmit-?- The Fishers would be breeding about this time.

Your possum catch, prompted me to take a lil more read about them. I'd certainly had no idea that these marsupials will take on (and feed) on venomous snakes: they're immune to the venom!

Quoting:
... easier to list what he doesn't eat. Opossums are the world's sanitation engineers! They clean up our neighborhoods and help our gardens by eating snails, slugs, cockroaches, crickets, beetles, rats, carrion and overripe fruit. After eating, opossums lick themselves clean, just like cats.
Should you worry at all about having this little guy around? In general they present a far lower health risk to humans than do dogs and cats. They seem to have a naturally high level of immunity to most diseases. Opossums, for example, are more resistant to rabies than any other mammal.
They are also immune to the venom of pit vipers. In fact, poisonous snakes are another delicacy on the opossum's menu. That alone should make him a welcome neighbor!

> http://www.wildclassroom.net/wildideas/possums.html

I'll continue to keep tabs on this thread - and I'm sure you'll continue to be xtra careful, for safety sake.

- Magpye

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, I'd be worried about walking those woods, too. How high up onto the trees are those scratches, about 6' or so?

LOL about baby powder, Pam, etc.

Quoting:
You know those possum are quite manly, having 2...um...you know whats...instead of one like every other male. Interesting ugly creature.

I don't think possums have two "parts"...They do, however, send their boys out in pairs, though. See http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/opossum_reproduction_and_life_cycle.htm for more info. It's interesting stuff!

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 11:26 AM

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

gardenwife, the one I saw looked like a double to me. I tried not to get too close. I read, but go by what I see with my own two eyes the most. The stuff I wrote about possums is what I have seen myself.
Magpye, they are an intresting creature. I heard they are the only fur animal that does not get fleas and ticks, too ugly maybe? I let one out of the live trap once this winter, it stood and looked at me growling and then came after me growling and snarling. I am sure it was still mad about being caught (this one I did not relocate, I let it loose right where it was caught and check my trap a couple times a day) I was just checking for what was living under the shed. He went after me, then turned and went under the shed, guess that solved that problem. You are correct, all animals, no matter how ugly have their purpose, and if there are not 50 of them running around my house, I don't care. Seems like the population of possum and raccoon is way down this year. Something is cleaning up?
We are the Wolverine state, but there has been only one sighting in the last 100 years and that was by one of the lakes. They said it came on a garbage ship or some garbage like that.
Fisher is a good guess, I didn't think of that one. I have never seen one, but that doesn't mean much. The scratchings do go 6ft on some trees. That is high, but things can climb and scratch. Still a mystery.

(Zone 3b)

cpartschick - up till the storm hit - sure did sound like a good way to spend some time.
Kiska

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah, clarification: They have one, but it is two-pronged, or bifurcated.
http://home.att.net/~larvalbugrex/opossum.html

I'd read about the pairing of the boys before, but not the other.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Very intresting website. I hadn't seen that one. Makes them almost sound cute. Ha.....I still don't feel sorry for the one that attacked me, I met with him a few days later I'm afraid.
Sure is educational to read everything people have written about different animals. And although I have a great respect for animals and do hunt (deer mostly) I do not have any desire to eat possum, so unless we tangle or I get over run. I will leave them to their ways.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I now know much more about possums, but I still don't love them. Those 50 teeth, long snout, nasty attitude and ugly pink feet are a turn off!

I hope you figure out what is in your woods. I'm going to worry about you till you do!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't worry I am pretty safe. I have that big dog, who is quite protective. And there are still some small animals left to be eatten. I did have a couple of turkey vultures circling me today though, a little premature, I would say.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a few thousand chipmunks I could donate to the food chain cause. LOL Why've they gotta be so destructive when they're so darned cute?

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

If I came face to face with whatever made those marks, I would pass out cold....geeze. They could have both me and the dog for dinner. I don't like having those wild cats around--one jump on you and forget the bear spray. Hope you can find out what it is so your walks are less stressful. We live on the edge of the woods, also, but my health hasn't been too good so I haven't walked much in the woods lately. Did a little yesterday. I am happy for my opossums--they keep the garden nice and clean, also help with the field mice. Let us know, am really curious about those marks. And be careful. Karen (aka liebran)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

DH was had the day off yesterday and spent most of it outside even thought the weather was less than desirable. I spent most of the day inside, but did take a couple of walks with him. In the afternoon he decided we should walk up in the swamp, just to check on things. It was about 35' with a 40+mph wind (sleet and snow) Now I don't mind the weather too much, just dress for it. But I am not fond of a tree falling on me. This area we went in is the poorest for phone service, if anyone could find us anyway. I put on my boots and got my walking stick, (hubby feels this stick is the only protection he needs). strapped on my bear spray and went off. This end of the swamp is where the animals live. We usually see good sign, sometimes bones, footprints, spores etc. It was nearly all flooded. Walking was difficult. DH is part cat himself and can walk over downed, wet, mossy, slippery trees and logs with ease. I find it much more difficult. I also wanted to keep an eye in the sky in the heavy canopy of the woods. This makes it harder to watch your feet too. The trees are rubbing on each other making scretches and groans and it is quite dark even on a sunny day. (now you see why I do not walk in these areas alone). We got to the furthest end of our property and the dog shot off down the trail. Because we care if we sink up to our elbows in muck, it took us longer to reach high groud. Here we found him dancing around trees and sniffing the ground. No barking. Up in a tree at the top was a pretty large brown animal. We had no binocs. If it was a raccoon, it was the largest I have seen. It was a redish/brown, could have been a bobcat, but probably a coon, we have seen large coon tracks not that far from the area. This is the only excitement we found. No tracks (all under water)
This morning we have about an inch of snow. When it gets light enough I will go out and check for tracks. These spring snows show the most activity.
I agree, the cats are the most dangerous. It is hard to deal with something that attacks from the back. My experience with them so far is that they run from humans. There are many more bear attacks than cougar on humans, and many more lightning strikes on humans. DD lives in town and now is thinking of carrying pepper spray herself, she has had some bad experiences with what she calls "creepy guys" once while jogging and once at the laundry at the apt. So I think we all need to be careful no matter what wild animals we are around.
gardenwife. I know what you mean about the chippies. They are megga cute, but get under our siding and chew the house etc. The neighbor up the road declared war on the chipmunks saying he saw as many as 20 in his yard at once. I haven't seen one yet this year. They are probably regrouping at his house.

Quoting:
and many more lightning strikes on humans

And pepper spray doesn't stop them, either!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yup, don't walk in a thunderstorm. That is the only weather I do not walk in.

Just a thought about dealing with bears . . . how do bears and skunks get along? Would it work if one dressed in black-and-white stripes, and wave a big b&w fluffy feather duster overhead if a bear got too close? . . . and carry a can of skunk stink for the coup de grace?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

mmmmm, you are thinking aren't you? I don't know what bears are scared of.
We have a little camp in the woods that we build fires, cook over and have company stay in the summer. Some are city folk and worried about bears some. I wanted to get a bear head form (taxadermy) and buy some bear fur and make a suit. I thought it would be great fun to entertain company. Then I though the wearer could very well get shot! (lots of yahoos in the area, and most of them around our campfire I am afraid) Best to leave well enough alone.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The reddish/brown animal in the tree might be the Fisher that Magpye mentioned. They've been making a big comeback some places since fur has kind of gone out of fashion the last twenty years or so. I'm not aware of them scratching trees like your picture though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.