Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Growling in the woods, torn trees, need help., 1 by cpartschick

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cpartschick

Subject: Growling in the woods, torn trees, need help.

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Growling in the woods, torn trees, need help.
cpartschick wrote:
I walk in the woods same pattern every day with the dog. I never go into the swamp, or over the ridge alone. I know the animals are more scared of me, but I do not want to bug them. I have been walking for many years and have only been scared once before when a couple of large mean dogs came out of nowhere a half mile back in the woods and I was lucky to get back in one piece.
Friday I was walking as usual, not realizing that the ice did harden up overnight, without my yak traks, walking carefully around the ice on the trails while the dog was chasing a raccoon up a tree nearby when I heard a growl from over the ridge. I stopped, then again, I wasn't really sure what I was hearing, then really loud growl/yell. I got the dog and walked as quickly back to the house as I could with the ice, cursing at myself for not wearing the yaks. I then went to the store and got a big canister of bear spray. I have always felt safe in the woods and did not like being frightened. So I figure bear spray is good protection whatever it was growling at me. I could feel safe again. I am sure I will never have to use it, but it makes me feel better.
The next day we went to the area I heard the growl. 4 trees were scratched up pretty good, all right together. Looked like bobcat. We have seen prints and sign and even seen them, but not in this area. As we were looking for antler shed in another area. We found this tree, and about 14 others that had been scratched. This one bothered me as the scratching were so high up and so much. Most other high scratches were few. The dog was great to get into the picture as size reference. I do not think it is bear, as the scratches seem to be not too deep, also there are scratchings on a tipped cedar where it looks like a cat sat to watch deer come in to feed (on the trail where I walk by the way) There has been cougars sightings in the area, but I tend to scuff at them. I guess my question is....can a bobcat do this? What is your ideas?????
The weather has suddenly gotten warmer. It has been 50'-60' for the last 3 days. The birds are birding the animals have spring fever. I was happy to see evidence of my fear to show the DH, but am confused to the nature of the beast.