Growling in the woods, torn trees, need help.

Louisburg, KS

That looks like the work of a cougar to me, the scratches are too high and too big for a bobcat, a game camera would solve the mystery for you

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I think cougar too. All winter when walking, every few days there was a very strong urine scent. Of course the dog was just there watering the area and I thought it was him somehow. Now I think that he was just drawn to the scent himself and not the one making the smell. That is another sign of cougar.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Whew -- There's nothing as strong-smelling as the urine of an intact male cat, no matter the size.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yup, the scratching I think is male too. If it is a male, he may have quite a wide area that he habits. We have had bobcats around for quite a few years and I have never picked up this oder before or this much scratching.
I wonder if I saw his face on one of the trail cameras if I would stop walking?
Mmmm, I am usually out in the woods by now, that dog usually reminds me. Guess he is still tired from the weekend, all that watching us work outside really exhausts him.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Yep, males mark their territory by leaving scent markings and scratches on trees ...

Please, don't risk your DG name becoming an abbreviation for something different: 'C(ougar)Parts ..

Peel them eyes xtra wide and get a pair of them super-amplifying hearing aids, and wear several jackets and talk loud and real gruff sounding to the dog! - ok?

((huggs))

- Magpye

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Magpye. That was good. I am still laughing.
From the looks of things, this cougar was around a long time before I saw sign....or realized they were sign. I guess I was lucky....now I am trying to be smart and watch out. I burden myself with my phone, walking stick, bear spray, dog, heavy jacket, pistol, and now blow torch for the tent worms. I walk slow because there is alot to look at...and look for.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The growling I have heard in our neck of the woods I believe to be a mt. lion, several others have heard it on occasion.
Possibly coyotes that have treed some critter and were tearing up the bark without success of it coming down?

Where do you get something like the bear spray? Would probably do me well to have something other than just a walking stick as well.

Playing it safe is always a good idea and one I don't heed, but perhaps you will make me see my walks in the woods in a different light. Steve has been wanting me to carry a gun, now may be the time to begin. Thanks for the reminder that we never know what we may encounter. Must say I have always felt as you said, better to get run down by a herd of something rather than a city bus!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Mountain lions are usually shy around humans and will avoid them if given the opportunity. The important thing is to make some noise while hiking, to not make yourself look like a deer (their natual food) by spending a lot of time bending over or kneeling on the ground (perhaps to look at a plant) while in lion country and to be aware of overhead ledges that you may walk by. If you whistle or sing on your walk, you'll give the big cats warning of your presence so they can move away.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Good advice. When I am walking alone I am pretty quiet. (deer hunter in sneak mode) I stopped doing that real quick. Not that I can sneak up on a preditor, but I do not want to be a big mac either. The dog has been really intrested in a couple areas of the swamp lately. I haven't gone to investigate. It has been really tough, but stayed on the trails.
I got the bear spray (bear attack repelant) at the local sports shop that sells guns, bows, fishing etc. It is not hard to find. I think that caution, looking around and making noise and carrying a walking stick (makes you look bigger) is probably as good.
The woods is really coming to life now. The ferns are just popping up and the wildflowers are starting. Here is one we call Cows Slip (like a marsh marigold) There are acres of them by where the river overflows. A few days ago, they were all under water.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
like a marsh marigold

That is a Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris). Cowslip is a very different plant (Primula veris).

Resin

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

With scratched up trees like that I would never ever go in the woods.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. The locals call it Cow Slip, but they call ruffled-grouse partridges, and false morel mushrooms beefsteaks, (which is a good one, because one is poisen and one eddible). I thought the flower looked different than the pictures of the M Marigold in my books, but it was the closest match I could find. Appreciate the help. (the locals here would drive you crazy, myself, I have just degressed to their level over the 10 years I have been here)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Makshi, looks like we were typing at the same time.
Yeah, I guess that is why no one will walk with me. Ha.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Ya no as soon as I saw this thread I was thinking Could it be a buck I no I have seen that on tree's where I lived up in the U.P.
also when I first came to Michigan I dug up the cow slips put them in a pot and planted them under the eves of the house so when the water driped it was the first to come up I had them for 15 years but as of now my soon to be X has the house and I have no idea if they still come up I have been gone for 3 years, The yellow are the plants that was taken befor I left
Kim
I just had to put in my thought ( bad speller we spell check)

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

About the flowers. Glad to see that yours transplanted so well. I did move some of these near a stream where we walk, they come up, but seem to be less every year, even though it is good and wet. The forget me nots, on the other hand, in the same area have flurished and spread all over.
About the trees, I have seen quite a few buck rubs and this looks different. I suppose if a buck had a broad head stuck in his antler he could have made the claw marks, they look that sharp. :) Also a buck didn't scratch that perch over the trail unless he climbs trees and this was the same type of tree damage. I think if you saw the trees in person you would agree, that it was not done by a deer. Looks just like the bobcat scratching, but these were much higher than I have ever seen.
I tell you though, if I see a deer hanging in a tree, that will be the ends of walks I think.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Big Foot I knew someone would have them in their neighborhood. Yes, Big Foot.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is why I keep my little cabin in the woods locked. I am afraid he is going to move in.
This time of year the giant snapping turtles are in a small cove not far from the house. I don't know how big they are suppose to get, but these are far bigger. They lumber around the muck, fight and mate for a couple of weeks. This is the only time we see them. I was just out watching. I use our canoe rack and canoe for support and sit and watch with the binocs. I saw 4, 2 dissapeared and I was watching what I thought was the larger of the two. The one was moving too gracefully to be a large one. The large one was staying put in front of a large stump with roots going off in two directions. His head came up, there was about a foot before the top of the shell sticking up and then I glimpsed a spiked tail. I was trying to size him up with the size of the stump when the small one came by, the larger shot off in a hurry. I thought this was odd, until the head of the smaller one came up. He was a monster. I screamed "Argh!" and jumped back off the canoe rack. This one was the biggest by far. No one will believe me, that has never seen them personally, but these things are the size of land tortises. We caught one once at about 30 lbs, ( a small one that you could actually handle) this one was far over twice that size. There is no way you would want to tangle with this one. He has to be 80-100 years old. Incredible. I am going back in the woods where I am safe!

As long as Big Foot doesn't ask you to knit socks for him or his family, you should be OK. No way you are going to get a pair of socks out of a 100grams of wool for that fellow.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a knitting machine, it would be ok. I could hang big socks out for bait and have my camera ready.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow cparts, interesting reading here. For what my two cents is worth, I think it's a big cat too. Our Game and Fish folks try to deny that we have them down here too but we just have too many sightings. About 10 years ago, my son and I were heading out to hunt in our old bronco and saw one cross the road in front of us, no more than 50 yards. I hit the breaks, we looked at each other and said, "Yup, that was a big cat!" There was no mistaking that long lanky body and long curved tail. Don't know why all these game and fish folks want to deny their existance. They always say they haven't found any sign of them. Well, just think about how sneaky a little house cat can be. It's the nature of any type of cat to be sneaky. The growl and the torn up trees strongly suggest a large cat. Like you, I wouldn't give up walking in the woods. But I would vary my times so if it is a big cat, he can't pattern you. Since you like to hunt, I know you know how to take care of yourself when you're out there. Just keep that gun handy!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Nature, seems like we have a lot in common. Like I said I love the woods. I do let the wildlife pattern me so they can stay away. I feel that they do try to avoid people. Big cats can be around for years before anyone sees them. They do not like to be seen. We have had only a couple sightings of our bobcats. (lots of sign though) Our DNR has admitted now that we do have cougars here. Seems someone hit one with a car and they couldn't deny that. Also some other groups have collected spore and other evidence to prove they are here. About 10 years ago, one of my employees who lives about 15 miles north of where I live now, kept telling me that he had a cougar in his back woods. He had all kinds of sign and then after about 2 years he saw it. I was patient and told him he must have seen a bobcat. He swore it was a cougar. Now I don't think he was so crazy. There may not be one in our woods, but there very well could be. Best to be on the side of caution.

This message was edited May 4, 2007 5:26 PM

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

My Son wants to know if you have thought it may be a wolverine?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

No, haven't really considered it. I know it is the wolverine state and all, but there are no wolverines here in Mi. There was one in the last 100 years and it came over the lake by a garbage boat. If we did have one I wouldn't tell anybody, we would have 1/2 the state here looking for it. Already turned down the local tv news. (DD works for the station and thinks it is a great story) I can picture it now, me pointing at the scratches on the trees, they can put me on right before the lady in Bay City who found the broken trees and cried bigfoot. Sheesh.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I think we do have a lot in common. Too bad we don't live closer. We've had sightings here for years and still G&F tries to deny it. One of these days we'll have one get hit too and then our "officials" will be in the same boat as yours, lol. I'd love to see one and get a picture of it. But, they are mostly nocturnal so I don't think I will ever get that lucky. At least my son and I got to see that one in the headlights--it was really special.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I wish I lived close to you all too because it sounds like a great advanture. I still go for the Big Foot or if you don't like that how about aliens that eat bark.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it would be great to see. I have only seen our bobcat in fleeting moments twice in 10 years, DH saw one run across the trail so fast it was a blur. The prints were really nice and verified bobcat. Of course we have had company up here that have seen them for a few minutes at a time. One was friend of DH that was hunting about 8 years ago and saw it stalking something. He was the first one to ever see it. (we never even told him we had one around). Then 2 years ago our neighbor was hunting and saw a few deer run across the trail, a bobcat came out behind, then stopped and walked right up the trail to within 50yds of him. He said he shook the whole time, he was so excited to see it. I think about when I am hunting with a bow what would happen if a bear came in, (the blind smells like a bear bait pile with cookies and sweet hazelnut coffee) I think the bear spray will be with me on hunting days too. I do not want to shoot any cat or bear. I think that it is great they are around, as long as they leave a deer or two for me.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We were typing at the same time makshi. I like your attitude. You can go on camera and talk to the tv people for me. Bet it would hit national! Hey, May is sweeps, they are looking for good stuff. Secure the DD job.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I got an idea why don't you charge a few bucks to see the tree that a very bigggg beaver chewed on and make some money for coffee and cookies.

I see no reason to stop hiking in the woods just because you share them with mountain lions, bears or wolves. The key is to be aware, understand their habits and use common sense. The wildlife was here before us and often get scapegoated for human errors. Our ancestors lived along side them.
NatureLover, I'm wondering if you may have Florida panthers migrating northwards to Mississippi? I know they were cross breeding with cougars in an attempt to save the panther. The population of native panthers had become so small that they were showing birth defects from inbreeding. Cougars/puma/panthers were all native to these areas at one time.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

garden mermaid,
It wouldn't surprise me at all. The big cat my son and I saw appeared very dark and wasn't quite as large as one would expect a couger to be. We figured panther by the looks of it. When we first picked it up in the headlights it was about 50 yards in front of us and just beginning to cross the road and I was driving about 35 mph. so we got a pretty good look at it. We were both watching the road very carefully to make sure we didn't hit any deer that might be crossing the road. BTW, the cat crossed at a well known deer crossing.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

oh gosh ...sitting on the edge of my chair reading this....hurry up and get to the ending.....i wanna know what it is!!!!

(oh...thats right , if we knew what it was we wouldnt have this thread..grin)

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Sticks I am with you on the edge of my seat waiting to see what it is. I come here every day just to see if there is any progress in finding out what it is.

Caseyville, IL(Zone 6a)

Me too!For aweek now I check this thread almost every hour.Cparts youare way braver than me, the first night I read this thread I closed all of my windows and curtains.I'm dieing to know what it is, but I also want to beg you to stay out of the woods.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am very comfortable in the woods. (usually) I love it. The dog has been crazy chasing stuff around in the swamp the last couple days. Really sniffing around. But whatever it is scared of him, so it is ok. Looks like the raccoons may be out of that tree, so that means others are out again and may be what is running around leaving a scent. No quills in his face, no skunk smell, so that is good.
You will laugh at what scares me. We were setting up our little camp just inside the woods yesterday. We have a tent pavillion, some old cable roll tables, log benches, firepit and a couple of campers. I grabbed a piece of wood to level a table and under it was the biggest hairiest spider I have ever seen. The wood spiders get pretty big for our climate. Now I have seen other's "pets" on other threads here. The pictures even give me the willies. I should capture it and sell it as a pet huh? Ick....don't think so. Here I was....face to face with this large hairy beast....and the bear spray was at the house. I slowly backed away and right into the web. This web was spanning two trees about 10ft. Obviously trying to catch a human. Good eats for a long time. I was able to get out of course, but the creep factor was pretty high.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Self portrait...Friday morning....45' sunny. Notice the bear spray hanging off the hip.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Before I could get the camera away from the face, this is what I saw.

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Cparts, You are a riot. I am with you however on spiders. I would rather run into almost anything but a big spider or ever a small one for that matter. They give me the creeps and I feel like screaming when I see one. There is rule at my house that if you stay outside you live and if you come inside you die. That is my thoughts on spiders.

Cparts, love that leafy "fur" camouflage you're wearing in your self portrait Really makes you blend in to the forest.
:)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I like shadow portraits. Although this one did add about 20 lbs to the hips.
Good walk this morning. The entrance to the woods by the house is gated. I walked around the gate to see strange tracks in the loose sand. Further got some good prints. Looks like a cow was wandering in the woods. We did hear some mooing yesterday and this morning, but there are cows across the lake, a little less than a mile away, so when the wind is right we hear them. There were tracks all over. Always something! It really looks like cow tracks. This guy must have been really, really lost. Because the cows around here are pretty far away.
Here is a picture. (used my foot for size reference)

Thumbnail by cpartschick
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Actually I have never seen a cow hoof print before, but I have seen horses, and it is not a horse. The print is cloved, and rounded and big. (glove as size reference)

Thumbnail by cpartschick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.