I didn't even know this forum existed!!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I will start following as I love glads...remind me of my grandmother. I have ordered some, but this is new zone and new house for me....so excited you have this forum...will watch it!!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi bettygail and welcome! We hope to have lots of pictures posted this summer (right, gang?). I have purchased lots of new glads but won't be able to work my wet clay soil to get them planted until May.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have lived in an apartment for years...so I don't know all the vendors yet...I just ordered from Park Seed....Park's select or something. Where do you all order...or....are there vendors listed on this site?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I purchased most of mine at a local nursery that carries what I guess you could call "upscale" glads and other bulbs that you won't find at the big box stores. I'm still waiting for an order from McClure and Zimmerman; I ordered more of the "Atom" glads and some specie nanus glads from them. Others on this forum are growing them from seeds or have ordered fancy specie glads. Some of them are truly "jaw-dropping"!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am so excited about this......I will be growing mine down in the garden where I grow the cutting flowers.....wish I knew where to get the Ttapes....we just use those top round soaker hoses.....do you think it makes any difference...seems like the roots would grow deeper...I planted my snaps in too wide of rows this year; thus they didn't have deep roots and I lost many of them to the 35+ mph winds we get every day in the spring...I still have more blooms than I can give away...I will take a pic tomorrow and remember that some friends and I cut everything ready this past Tuesday...right now I just have a pic from the morning after the storm the night before with 60 mph winds....most of them made it.....now they are gorgeous...promise to take a pic inthe morning.
In my picture file this pic is labeled "boo hoo"

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Aha, another Glad fan! We will be waiting for your pics!

Your boo hoo pic looks 'boo hoo'!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

wallaby1....don't you rub it in (LOL)
Some of them survived...am going down in a few minutes to cut some for church.....friends and family have kept the Rockets cut that did make it.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

here are Rockets last Sunday...
now no teasing about the arrangement....I just grow them.....these were for a good friend who has advanced lung cancer....I need to find a lot more glad corms....will need, at this point, to search the local nurseries...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Betty those snaps look great...one of my favorite annuals to overwinter. Where is Taft?
Debbie

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I know Houston like the back of my hand as I lived there for many years. Taft is 18 miles northwest of Corpus Christi on 181 going to San Antonio...I live out of Taft out in the country between Rockport and Sinton. You can grow them easily in Houston, Debbie. I get them in the ground no later than the second week of November as I cut them back hard when they are planted and then cut again on Dec. 1 to make them branch. They can take easily a freeze down to 25 or 26 degrees. The Rocket series make a giant snapdragon but I didn't stake mine...then I planted Liberty series which doesn't come in pretty color like the Rocket mix does. The Liberty only gets about 18 to 20 inches tall...very pretty but nothing compares to the Rockets....I planted the rows too wide...bad mistake because I couldn't use soaker hoses to make the roots pull down for support. (I had to water overhead all winter.....never again) They do so much better if they can be deep watered well....then completely dry out.....

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

BG, my HD had all bulbs at 50%, including glads. Walmart had no sale but they have them cheap. I bought a beautiful pale yellow, 10 bulbs for $4 and a mixed bag, 10/$4. Check yours out.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Betty I've been growing them for years--that's about when I throw the seeds out too. We do have similar growing conditions. I only grow the tallvarieties too--the short ones just aren't as stunning. Since you know Houston well, I'm up off hwy 6 a bit north of the farm and ranch club. You were the one on another thread that said you liked stocks as an over winter annual too, huh? Too few people do them in my opinion--very under-rated. Probably my favorite over wintering annual, who can resist that scent.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

guess what, Debbie.....I can't find out which stock that I grew.....I am so mad I didn't keep records as this was a real winner in the garden....I am hoping that at the bottom of the heap of seed packets in the chest I will find a package or part of a package...so I can be sure and reorder the seeds next year...best one and most fragrant one I have ever had!!!
I come in on 59 and pass hwy 6....but I don't know where the farm and ranch club is....am I even close? (I know that 6 goes a long long way!!!)

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Bettygail - love the snapdragon arrangement! I am sure your friend was happy to get it and it brightened his or her day.

Sue

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks, sedum37.....I have made many arrangements in the last 3 weeks....they are one of my favorite flowers to grow...only wish I could find the seed that I used for the stock....have looked for almost a week and can't even find the right company (LOL)

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Hi Betty! I just wanted to tell you about a classified ad here on DG that is for gladiolas.

I think it is a really good deal and also benefits doggies. Always good!! LOL

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/704971/

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just received my 200 corms yesterday from 4paws....they look great....now I need to figure out how to store them for a while...still to early to plants....do you know 9kittymom??

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I put mine in the ground yesterday, I would have thought you were OK in your zone to plant now.

I only planted 25, have fun!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I am planting mine now, so I would think you would sure be able to. I am zone 6a.

I am also doing a few pots of them to see how they do.

Susan
=^..^=

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

We can grow comfortably through December, so I am not in any hurry......just lazy right now....want to stagger the time better than I did with the snaps...right now I need to finish potting up with fresh soil all my AV's....not being a good mommy right now to them....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

To many threads to keep up to.
I have posted this many times. For T-Tape,
www.jordanseeds.com
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

http://www.jordanseeds.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&id=24364&pageid=88
This should get you to the right page.
The 5/8", 1500 foot roll is the best buy unless you need more than that. We use the 8" spacing.
The layflat for across the ends can be bought at a farm supply store, maybe for less money. Must be 2" diameter. You then need the T-Tape to layflat connectors. The expensive part is the tool to punch the layflat hose. About $50, but you need it. Otherwise you can build a header system out of plastic pipe. The layflat you can drive over with tractor & won't hurt it.
Bernie

This message was edited Apr 7, 2007 10:18 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thank you, Country Gardens....just running behind on the glads...

Miss Gessie WOW your Glads are stunning how did you ever plant so many beautiful plants ! I've never grown theses . Are they hard to grow ?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I just got the catalog (no photo type) from Pleasant Valley Glads. I had no idea there were soooo many out there:LOL: Another obsession ready to begin=D

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Robin, those are snapdragons but thank you....the glads will be coming when i get them planted....running late this spring....
gail

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All those Pleasant Valley ones are show glads. Very Expensive.
I buy mine for 6¢ to 8¢ each, wholesale. Retail should be less than 75¢.
Here is a good company with pictures. I buy wholesale from them.
http://www.nowetagardens.com/catalog.html
Bernie

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh! I didn't realize that! I just thought they were high because they were not as common:LOL:
Thank you for the info and the link=)
Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.