Ok , Who has Lilies spring out of the ground

Fenton, MO(Zone 6b)

Just curious who,s got lilies showing. I haveTrumpinator up about 3 inches but its been coming up since January .

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I do! I do! But still being cautiously optimistic.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I do - have some Asiatics over a foot high!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine are also all up and growing.. Some of the first are a foot or so high also.

Larkie

Louisville, KY

I have some orientals out of the ground about 3 inches.....and I have 3 buggy crazy trumpet lilies that look like telephone poles emerging about 6 inches tall.. Wow they are impressive

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Ha ha says she, looking at the 2 ft of snow still on the lily patch.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have asiatics and orientals up. Just barely poking their heads out, but they are up.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

My Triumphators are up too , but they are close to the house and these tend to come up way ahead of their other lily friends. Latvia is barely showing its tip too and that one is out in the yard. Otherwise, after a good careful look around, I don't see anything else.
Timeinabottle, like your Buggy Crazy analogy!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I think most of mine are up, some are nosing their way through the mulch. "Skyscraper" from Buggy Crazy has 3 fat noses coming up! I think that sets a record for any of my lilies. Some seedlings are looking hefty enough that they should have their first bloom this summer. Can't wait!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

The frost is finally just going out of the ground here... soon my pretties will come forth!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow, 3 fat noses?!?! Pard that'll be purdy!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Only here would the phrase "3 fat noses" be considered great news! :) LOL

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

LOL, Ticker. Good one!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

When the snow leaves my part of the country, I will still be the last one with lilies emerging here.

And that's just the way I like it. I hate having to protect my Lycoris squamigera's from late spring subfreezing blasts.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

OK here are the 3 fat noses! Notice the size of the cut off stalk from last year.

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So..... would it be a compliment if you were to tell someone that you especially liked, "you're a real a fat-nose" ? I think it must surely be!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow, pard, now that is impressive! 3 noses! Wonderful!

TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some asiatics and orientals coming up and of course, my day lilies are up.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Only lily fanatics would be so excited at little shoots poking through the ground... :) Just shows how eager we'll all be when we get flowers!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Moby, I guess it's better than saying "you're a real fat head" or some other appendage.. :) LOL

Diann

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have some! Asiatics with fat noses, lots of babies around them too which really need moving but I don't think I know where to put them! Behind those I have some L lancifolium flaviflorum, they always look skinny.

My L philippinense or whatever has some leaves too, it hasn't been that long since it died back.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Speak of "fat noses", just received a partially sprouted bulb from the PNWLS sale with two fat noses. The bulbs were huge. It was a variety called "Menorca". Hooray! Two fat noses!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have a few asiatics and LA's up!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Doesn't this one look like a flower sprouting from the soil ?

Lilium martagon, the only lily I have and also the only one as far as I know that can tolerate some shade. It has tender pink flowers.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

All my potted asiatics are sprouting up about 1-2 inches now. I don't know why, but it seems a bit early for that:) It is already getting in the low 80's lately, much warmer than normal for this time of year.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I like the look of that martagon coming up, bonitin, it's all that whirly foliage getting ready to pop out.

Just waiting around here on this thread, for the right time to say:

Bonitin, your pic belongs on the foliage thread too, please.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/695580/

I love the foliage of L. martagon, it reminds me of a well-formed Agave!

Thanks for the reminder Lefty, I looked at your list and noticed L speciosum rubrum, mine is through but I trod on it. It was only just through, with two noses, and I knew they were there somewhere but failed to see them when I was looking for a spot to empty a pot of something much less important! I think they are OK.

Yesterday I noticed L. gloriosoides peeking through in it's pot, it doesn't seem long since I scratched down and it hadn't started, I was thinking of repotting it and perhaps removing a couple of scales! I wonder if it will offset, it has been around long enough to if it was going to.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Leftwood, it is done!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks so benign, that little sprout, Wallaby.

Who would ever know it would grow those sinister (but loving) pincers!
-----------------------------------

How interesting: I just looked up "sinister" online (for some reason, the spelling just didn't seem right), and an alternative meaning for the word is "of or on the left side; left".

Just my style.

(Now everybody sing that Gary Lewis & the Playboys tune:
Don't ya know that she is just my style,
Everything about her drives me wild . . . .
)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Trimphator was my first to break thru too! A few asiatics now, here & there. No martagons or species yet. I'm out every morning shooting the new ones with Plantskydd. No use letting the bunnies nibble all my buds away!

Moby--we didn't kill all of yours when we moved them? Maybe you ought to sneak over to your old yard and see if we missed any--midnight gardening, anyone?

Yes Lefty, your style for sure, and your are left handed! It always looks that wimpy, amazing isn't it!

Is it just me or doesn't anyone else know that tune?

How about L. duchartrei for a 'to the side' style. It must have tipped a little sideways when I buried it, I scraped down and it was only a little tilted but it's gone to the light. The other one is in a narrower pot and is in the middle, it's just peeking through too.

Bonitin, L duchartrei will take some shade too.

http://www.dunngardens.org/summer/lilium_duchartrei.html

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

dmac,
Your early warm weather = global warming I bet. Hope we lose our snow soon up here. Supposed to reain, but only a sprinkle so far.

BTW, talking about Global Warming, bought an amazing book today called "The Weather Makers" by Tim Flannery.

inanda who can join in to this thread and say I have lilies sprouting from their pots.... on my table by the window.

Does this count.??

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Of course it counts, inanda ;0)

Alexander, AR(Zone 7b)

I have tiger lilies, asiatic lilies, and daylilies popping up all over the place. We've been averaging around 80 degrees the last two weeks - and just had a day and a half of soaking rain. LOTS of green everywhere. I'll have to get the lawn mower out this weekend!

Thumbnail by chef_tish
Alexander, AR(Zone 7b)

Another pic

Thumbnail by chef_tish
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I can't believe how many are popping up ~ most everything except the orientals. No 'no-shows' yet, but I did lose a few irises and maybe a lavender. Pretty sucessful move, I'd say.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thanks wallaby, for the link of the L. duchartrei. I have a weak spot for drooping flowers.

Wallaby, duchartrei has that wandering underground stem naturally before it decides to pop up, so I doubt any slight tilt in planting the bulb would make any difference. The duchartrei I received from Chen Yi last spring did the same thing planted in the ground. I came up at a low angle, just like your potted one, but grew pretty vertically afterward. However (and not that anyone would actually remember), the leaves on mine are suspect and I am not sure it really is duchartrei.

I have it planted in a mound of soil, and it is covered with a sheet of plastic this winter to keep the moisture out. Hopefully it will survive my cold, hopefully it won't rot, and hopefully it will bloom this season.

Thanks for the info Lefty, I did wonder as L nepalense does the same, but the other smaller duchartrei I got went straight up! I will have to get them, or one, in the ground before they get too big, can't wait for flowers on those! I hope the big one at least flowers this year, the nose is very pointy.

We can compare leaves! That's a lot of hopefullys, hey you had better get flowers, we could swap pollen! But, how do I know mine didn't originate from there?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.