Favorite Fern Picture

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Do you have a favorite fern picture?
For the last couple of weeks this one happens to be my favorite, so much so that I put it on my desktop!

Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance'

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My favorite fern - Mother Fern (Asplenium bulbiferum). Only hardy to zone 9 and I lost these two in the last unusual freeze. Of course I'm replacing them!

Thumbnail by doss
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Shadyfolks, wonderful foliage on your Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance'. Is that its springtime colour or does it stay like that all through the year?

So graceful and delicate lace-like fronds , doss!!.

I have soo many favorite ferns I cannot really make a choice.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Doss, I love the texture of your fern. I'm disappointed that it is hardy to only Z9. I can push a zone but not three zone, LOL! Too bad you lost them! I have to agree with you, they are worth replacing.

Bonitin- that picture was taken June 3 last year.I have a few planting in a group and they were a knock out. I was really impressed with how long they held their color, I just don't remember how long that was. I will have to pay attention and take pictures this year. I will try to remember to take pictures so we can see how they look through the growing season.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Brilliance is really lovely. And your photo is so architectural. Very nice.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's my favorite fern and favorite fern pic. Southern maidenhair. I had two pretty big ones on my front porch. They had been through two winters, but the last freeze in Feb. burnt them completely. Hoping the roots are good and they'll come back. :(
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have some S. Maidenfern that my grandmother gave to me. I love it! It froze here this year too and I'm hoping that mine will be all right.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Can't resist adding my favorite - this stand was here when we moved in, almost 20 years ago. Beautiful, and I love to watch all the unfurling of the fronds in the mid-spring. They just pop up after a few days of 60+ temps. I didn't know what it was for the longest time, but I believe they are Dryopteris carthusianna - a wood fern native to this area. This was taken on May 9, when they are the focal point of the early garden. Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Sautee Nacoochee, GA(Zone 7a)

We have maidenfern that grows wild in our forest... surely if it comes back every year, yours will! :)
I need to transplant some more.. its alil fragile.

Nin

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are stunning, Dax.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

DebinSC- you have another one of those ferns I would love to be able to grow, nice close up

Dax-your house is the perfect back drop to show them off and a great example of ferns as a foundation planting.

Thanks, doss and Shadyfolks - what's amazing is that I took them for granted until I started DGing and learned to appreciate them. Now I'm adding about five more different kinds of ferns to the beds this year - I'm sure they will be very small for a few years, but I just love the textures - I've got a couple Japanese ferns and the one pictured above - Dryopteris "Brilliance" on order. I've never seen the Southern Maidenhair before - beautiful! I suppose it won't tolerate Zone 5, though --- Dang - Dax

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't think I have any great fern pics, this Japanese Painted one I like.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Japanese Painted ferns are so lovely! Wish that I could grow them successfully here but they just need the cold I think. They just sort of fade away..........

Yes, aren't they lovely (Japanese Painted)? I planted a couple last year and they basically barely survived - But, I'm hopin they will creep this year so I have more than a couple leaves on a plant. They are so striking when they look like yours, bigcityal - Dax

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I like the variation you can get with Japanese Painted Fern.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks

Dorothie - I figured there had to be something I could grow that you couldn't.

Most of my ferns stay pretty small. Some near the foundation are kind of sandy and dry I think. I really like Cinnamon, but mine is just hanging in there.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

This is my favorite fern pic - native ferns in the woods behind the house. They're not up yet this year, though. I have several japanese painted ferns in the shade beds - love them!

Thumbnail by sstateham
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

sstateham, love that picture of the unfolding fern frond.

A picture from spring last year in my brother's garden:

Matteuccia struthiopteris.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

bonitin - What a great shot!

Yes, bonitin - just gorgeous!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

sstateham & bonitin, those are both great shots. I love the close up for the detail and the Matteuccia struthiopteris ~wow, makes me wish that spring were farther a long.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi,

Here's one of my Matteuccia struthiopteris a couple of months after I planted it last year. I hope that mine grow to look like your brother's, Bonitin. His are beautiful.

I also have a couple of little Maidenhair ferns--my favorite fern--that look brown right now. I sure hope they survived the winter.

Loretta

Thumbnail by lorettamar
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

bonitin: those are really beautiful. Nice light.
sstateham: I have a similar one to yours, not as close up or sharp, but still a fave. Thelypteris Torresiana...in my back yard.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Ferns are just so photogenic!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I checked yesterday... Mine are starting to awaken. YAY.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I like this one of my Japanese painted ferns. Now that I have figured my camera out, I can't wait to take pictures of all my plants!

Thumbnail by astilbebain
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Don't you just love the color variations of the Athyriums?

I wish I could go out and check on my ferns/garden but I broke my foot 4 days ago, I'm having surgery tomorrow.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, so sorry that you broke your foot! And good luck on the surgery. I hope that you will be able to get out into the garden this spring.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 5a)

this is my favorite fern picture (even though they are in the backgrouind) taken last year May 15th

Thumbnail by sammigirl
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Fabulous photo! What is the groundcover? I love the way that the red tulips set the depth for the beautiful ferns in the background. Breathtaking.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that's Aegopodium podograria (Bishops weed) I had it at my old house... loved the stuff.
That's a gorgeous photo.

anyhoo -- here is one of my fern babes sprouting.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Bishop's weed sure is beautiful. But wow the negative comments on it in the plantfiles! Guess it's just a little too vigorous.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's a wider shot with my Cinnamon in it.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a pretty border, AL. Your garden is getting stunning.

Here's another favorite - blechnum gibbon or Silver Lady Fern. I may have lost it in the freeze although most of them are coming back.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2007 4:06 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oops forgot to post the photo.

Thumbnail by doss
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

No ferns in this picture and off topic - I'm posting this in defense of bishop's weed. This is the north side of my old house, with a steep drop off down to my neighbor's fence covered with grape vine. The grass wouldn't grow there, and one year I killed all the grass and spent a ton of money to put in mostly lamium. The next winter was extremely cold, and the lamium didn't make it. I despaired in the spring, as my slope started eroding into my nieghbor's yard until my neighbor gave me a bunch of bishop's weed she'd taken from the north side of her house. The bishop's weed did the trick, the slope was saved, and in the last five years it's never crossed the fence line back into her yard!

Thumbnail by StPaulPeg
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Peg, sometimes an assertive plant is just what you want. I grow runner violets under my walnut tree where nothing else will grow so I know what you mean. It sure is pretty on that walkway.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dorothie. I can't really expand my shade beds until the kids are older.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I had my bishops weed similar to Peg's. Lining a side walk, that way it "stays in check"
though in my north beds... it did get into the grass, but we just mowed it... and it was more out of site since it was on the neighbors driveway side.... but never found it too invasive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.