Favorite Fern Picture

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Strever.....for three years now I've been trying to get an Autumn Fern to survive a winter. Last year I put one between the house and the septic tank, in a sheltered spot and it survived! I finally found a little micro-zone for those plants that want to be just one zone warmer. Maybe you can still find just the right spot.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Strever, Nice photos. The maidenhair certainly loves your garden and Dre's Dagger is just wonderful. Pteris ensiformis "Evergemiensis" will grow here. It's a variegated brake fern and gets to about 2 feet tall. You might want to try it. It's pretty vigorous in zone 9b.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54040/

Baby pics....Interrupted Fern

Thumbnail by marie_

more baby pics.......Sensitive Fern

Thumbnail by marie_
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

marie, I really like the pic of the buddha (sp?) sitting in the ferns. On my 'to do' list is to make a seated sculpture of one of my dogs and I want to put it in the middle of a bunch of hay scented ferns that I have on the left side of my yard.

Crested Japanese Painted Fern "Pictum-Applecort'

Thumbnail by marie_

I have the Hay-scented Fern, and just love it. It has 'migrated' to some extent, but has been reasonably easy to control. However, I cannot imagine how it managed to pop up on the opposite side of the deck.....and it's a big deck.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had too much trouble controlling it, as I've read a lot of conflicting stuff about it. I have a small bank of them between some tall pines, which is set apart from the rest of my garden by a path. Hopefully I'll be ok. If I can control my Lily of the Valley, I think I'll be ok with the ferns...their roots couldn't possibly run as deep as LOTV. On the other hand, I think I've got them in pretty ideal conditions, so maybe I am in trouble! I'm curious to see how much they've spread this coming Spring. Sensitive ferns are ferns that just seem to magically pop up here, I've noticed. How old are your Hay scented ones, Marie?

Here is the real Seamus sitting among them now...to be replaced by a statue Seamus in the future.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pretty cute dog Norester, and what lovely delicate fern photos Marie.

The Hay Scented fern must be at least five years old. (I don't always have the best records.) If it weren't buried right now under a foot of snow and ice, I would run out and look at the tag. This pic was taken in 2005.

My advice is to avoid Sensitve Fern. It is a thug that does not have a deep root system, but spreads like crazy and I have had trouble getting rid of it. It's beautiful, but it is going places that are reserved for other plants.

Here you can just see the Hay-Scented fern behind the solid hosta and to the left of the bird bath. It stays low and really compliments everything else around it.

Thumbnail by marie_

What a sweet pooch!

Doss, thanks for the kudos. Thank goodness for digital cameras, because otherwise I would never be able to afford the processing of all of my duds. lol

And now, I just can't play any longer. It's bitterly cold outside and I have to finish shoveling all that pretty white stuff.

That looks really nice, Marie. I also love it's low-ness and pretty light green color. Good to know you can grow it in with your other garden plants.

Sensitive fern is not one I planted...one year it just kind of showed up at the corner of the house, where the gutter drains. It's been expanding there ever since.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Isn't it great to find a plant that fits a difficult spot like a drainsprout? Sometimes a "garden thug" is just what you need.

I agree about the digital cameras. I like to take photos of plants when they bloom so I know when it happens so I take a lot of photos and it's so easy to keep them organized by date and to find them by descriptions. That never would be possible with prints. I don't hesitate taking a lot of photos so I can try different light settings etc. either.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, I go away for long weekend (rented cabin near Cook Forest, PA for Birthday weekend) and I see this thread has been busy! Marie-so glad you decided to 'play' with us, great photos and same with strevers (of who I am zone envious). Noreaster-that's a great pooch you have and so photogenic! I have 70# yellow lab and when I have tried to get her to sit and take picture, she chooses to sit on the plant rather than next to it. So for this reason I don't have too many great shots of my Maggie :o)

I think I mentioned this before but wow is it nice to reminisce about our ferns in this frigid weather! Thanks for sharing.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm lucky to have little dogs that like to go around my plants. However I pulled out all of the old hakone grass and they are very put out with me because the love to rip it off with their teeth. I don't know if you've ever felt hakone grass but it feels quite similar to velcro. Go figure.

Thanks, Shadyfolks. Seamus is a real ham when it comes to having his picture taken. My other BT just scowls at me. Both mine are pretty good about staying out of the garden when the plants are growing. Most of my plants are in raised beds, and just before the break dormancy I go around and put up those little wire edge fences around everything so that the dogs don't wander in and trample the new growth. Then when it's safe I take the fences down, and they pretty much respect it from there.

You really gave me a flashback when you mentioned a cabin in Cook Forest- I have been there a few times for family reunions when I was younger and it was always great fun. I remember the cabin we stayed at was near a spooky little mausoleum in a field on a hill.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ah! I just noticed this thread has come back to life! (Hey - I'm slow but I do catch up.)
Noreaster, Seamus is a cutie!

Most of my ferns are still asleep. This is from last summer. Ahhh, summer. :)

I was actually shooting the snail, but I like the way it shows off the colors of the J. Painted Fern.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful photo deb. That snail is very beautiful. Too bad that they eat plants.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Doss. True. But they don't seem to eat this particular fern, tho. :)

That is a cool pic, Deb. The only ferns I have that slugs/snails seem to eat are the Hay Scented ones. I'm disappointed to hear that your ferns are still asleep, Deb, because that means mine are in a deep, deep sleep still! Hope yours wake up soon.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

That is a really cool picture, you should enter it in a photo contest...tis the season, so look around locally, you might be able to find one.
Shady

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sorry to break that news, Noreaster. We have had a couple of late freezes, so mine are probably a bit late.
Shadyfolks: Thanks!
Deb

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

DebinSC: Your photo with snail & fern rocks!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Why thank you!
I'm hoping to have more fern pics soon, but nothin' yet. I planted several 'evergreen" ferns last fall, but only one turned out to be actually evergreen. So, I'm waitin' and hopin' for signs of life.
Deb

My fave, it survived the winter~sold as a house plant and put to the test, it came through with shining colors! (or color, green lol)
pellaea rotundifolia

Thumbnail by
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love button ferns! Mine live in the garden also.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Fernman: Very cool!

thanks...i love it, and was so ahppy to see it under the fall of leaves still green!
:D

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Noreaster, my JPF woke up. :) Not a great pic, but...well..there it is.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Not my favorite fern picture, but definitely my favorite fern. I can't believe this one looks this good so early in the season.
Last year it was "brown to the ground".
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That maidenhair is great for the springtime. I just cut the damaged part off of mine. It's one of my favorite ferns too.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Deb,
Is that A. Venustum? You are so luck to have ferns unfurling, I am green with envy. We still have 6" of snow on the ground with a few inches coming tomorrow, so we are told. Winter is getting a little long for me :~(

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I believe that is the Southern Maidenhair fern
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/795/
Adiantum capillus-veneris
It's not hardy below zone 7.
Brrrrrrr........shadyfolks. And on the first day of spring too.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Shadyfolks, Doss is right on the I.D. I 'll try to send springy vibes up your way.
Deb

gorgeous maidenhair....might steal it for my desk top! love the brightness, very springlike!!!!!!!!
:Darren
fernman23

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The Southern Maidenhair has very black 'stems' (or whatever you call them on ferns) that really contrast with the pale green of the fronds. Beautiful. Your desk would be very happy.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I posted a closeup of this same fern almost exactly a year ago on this thread that shows the black stems.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3303393

It is very springy isn't it Fernman?
Deb

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful photo Deb.

black part (all stems are petiole)s)
:Darren
fernman23

gotta learn that hyperlink thing, lol
meanwhile for some easy fern learnin : ( its where i go when i forget!)
http://hardyfernlibrary.com/ferns/glossary/FrondParts.html

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks for the link Darren. Petioles or stipes. Got it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.