(221 votes, 29%)
Red dot

We almost always cook and eat at home
(277 votes, 37%)
Red dot

We eat out only on special occasions or trips
(116 votes, 15%)
Red dot

We mostly eat in (but it's often takeout or delivery!)
(37 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Other?
(5 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Horsens, Denmark

My DH is an excellent cook, so no reason for us to go out and eat that often :o)))

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

We also mostly eat at home because the quality of the food is so high here. Basically, we only go out to eat chinese food because that's so much work!

Sylvain.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

We both work and kids are in school, it takes too long to eat out, costs too much.
DH and I both cook; we usually cook double portions so 1 night is left-overs. Usually 1 night a week is pizza night from the pizzeria (veggie pizza) as a treat.

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

I agree w/ all 3 of the above reasons, Quality, Time and Enjoy cooking. I do all the cooking and don't mind it at all . I cook large batches of everything and freeze in portions. Have a choice of 8 to 12 different meals in the freezer. Steaks and Burgers ( already made ) go from the freezer to the grill and take no longer to cook, no thawing needed. I would much rather mix a drink, relax w/ my Wife and Dogs and enjoy my landscape . When it's my Wifes turn to cook She orders the pizza !

kdcon

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I checked other. We usually go out on Saturday night. DW cooks most meals, so it's a treat for her. We go for breakfast most Sunday mornings. I cook my own breakfast other days, so I get lazy on Sunday, plus we go pick up MIL afterwards & she spends Sunday at our house. She turned 89 yesterday, lives by herself in a nice apartment.
Bernie

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I like going out to eat, but it's too expensive, and with 3 little boys, we are limited to places that serve chicken strips and fries! I do most of the cooking, but probably once a week, I bring home pizza or Happy Meals. Tamara

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Fast food is rarely worth the bother,
In one end and out the other.
One exception anyone eats: a
Sizzling pepperoni pizza

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

We only dine out on the ides!!! ;-)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

LOL.That's what they call a callback in the world of comedy.

No denying we eat out or take out at least once a week. Time and ambition cut into cooking from time to time.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Since I really enjoy cooking we eat at home more often than dining out. We have our favorite burger place, pizza shop and a few others but we do love fine dining experiences most. You only live once but if you work it right once is enough.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

We tend to eat out A LOT. Too much actually... but that is about to change.

My DH is out of town 2-3 nights per week, the kids (16&19) are never home (one works and the other is always at the girlfriends house) so on nights i'm alone, i make a salad or something simple for me. I do not mind cooking, but usually no one is home, or when i do cook, they say they are not hungry....so many times, i'm like "why bother".

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I using to cook at home and sometimes it special to go out eat like on trip or party and some occasion ( I just don't know how to spell right!)
Anna

This message was edited Mar 19, 2007 10:26 AM

Mount Airy, MD(Zone 6b)

I just discovered "Super Suppers." It's a place where you go and assemble your own meals and bring them home to the freezer. I like cooking, but I don't like having to clean up the mess I make in my kitchen when I do. So I think Super Suppers is super! No, I don't work for the company. (Oh, the corned beef and cabbage dinner was delicious!)

Horsens, Denmark

Nifty413; what is ides?

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

About once a week out, costs too much but convenient too.

Ides, see last week's voting forum discussion: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700808/

~ Suzi :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I rarely eat out because most restaurant food has way too much salt in it.

X

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I cook at home most of the time but as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as a small pot roast or a small chicken (unless you count Cornish Game Hens which we have once a week and then I cook 2 so that we have some left over) or a small pot of chicken and dumplings or a small ham or a small pork butt. My DDH is a whiz on the microwave so he fixes leftovers which we store in the freezer and I usually fix or buy something different for myself. When I get REALLY tired of my own cooking we go out to eat. That's usually once a week for lunch and once a week for dinner. At dinner we go to a GOOD restaurant for a GOOD meal - no fast food. At lunch it will usually be a specialty restaurant such as Chinese (buffet), etc. I don't count the times I am out at lunch and stop for fried chicken or a good deli sandwich while DDH prefers to have soup or something small he heats up. We are never without enough to feed lots of people who might drop in altho they may not all be able to eat their fill of each thing.

Ann

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We almost always eat in. We don't live in town, so the only time we eat out is if we go to town for supplies, it's a special occasion, or we are meeting friends or family.

I answered that we cook and eat at home, however, since we both work outside the home, I usually do most of the cooking on weekends, and we make quick meals from that all week.

Providence, RI

Zest - I believe the Ides (as in "Beware the Ides of March") is the 15th day of any month with 31 days. Of course, the Ides of March are the most famous because that is the day that Caesar was murdered.

I live alone but still do most of my cooking/eating there. I usually prepare my main "something" for the entire week on Sunday evenings so I don't have to do much preparation during the week when I'm working.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

As we are trucking full-time, we eat 'out' while we are on the road. I cook most meals when we are home. I'd rather bake than cook, but none of us needs that 'extra' stuff. I'm finding it a challenge to keep my weight down while 'on the road'. Our truck doesn't have a frig, but we're going to get a plug in cooler soon so we can keep veggies and fruit fresh longer.

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I travel with my job, and eat out three times a day when I am on the road. So when I am home, I cook!

Morrinsville ~Waikat, New Zealand

Have you ever sat through one of those TV programmes that take a secret camera into eating places ? Particularly restaurants run by new arrivals who do not comply with the strict hygiene regulations we have traditionally had ---- Put me off completely -
Emelle .

Horsens, Denmark

thanks tootsie ;o))

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

FINALLY...I got one right without having to cheat. :-)

Chris

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

LOL Chris!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

we make sure to eat "in" on the ides....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm embarrassed by how much we eat out. That's all I'll say.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

There wasn't a 'YES' option! lol

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

We make an effort to eat at home as often as possible and keeping frozen steaks, fish, chicken, beans, spaghetti sauce, etc. makes it easier. We live several miles from town so if we have a function to attend in the evening I often meet DH at a restaurant then on to the function. We ate out more often when I was working full time - not so much because I didn't want to cook, but because it was a nice way for DH and I to spend an hour winding down from the day and having a conversation before going home and getting busy again with laundry, computer time or getting ready for the next day.

I would probably faint if I knew how much $$$ we spend eating out in a year's time. Probably enough to pave our 1/4 mile gravel driveway which has been on my wish-list for 4 years now!

Debra

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

We used to eat out as much as home because of our work schedules but i have not been working since the end of July and I cook much more and try to do it for a healthy choice. I love to eat out but do not like the temptation of making bad choices and do not want to pay for healthy, stuff i can eat at home.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Although I love to cook, I seldom do unless Dear Friend is coming over. I am not too experimental with him. I often use the pressure cooker for soups and stews and picnic pork for barbecue. One funny thing is that when he eats my great chicken vegetable soup or something like that, he says, "This is great! Next time try a little shredded potato or something like that." I give him a drop dead look, but often I try his suggestions. Then I am close to homocidal when he says, "I'm sorry, but I just can't eat this." I stopped cooking for a long while because of this.

When we do go out we primarily go to two places. One is called Joe's Inn which is located squarely in the middle of Richmond. It's such a great place. It has been there for years and years. The interior is all wood walls and wooden booths with a few tables in the aisle. The prices are so cheap, and the portions are so large that we often split a sandwich or meal. They make a killer key lime pie. The clientele are usually regulars, and the staff has been there a long time. The other place is called Buzz and Ned's World's Greatest Barbecue. It is written up all the time in the local papers for its quality, From the outside, it qualifies as "A Joint," yet the prices are astonishingly low. And it is the best barbecue around. There is one barbecue place out of town that is not fancy but they act as if it is a shrine to barbecue. It's no where as good as Bud and Ned's. Oh yes, there is a place called The Monster Cookie which has a horrible location and is a yellow concrete block place. The people coming there are usually construction workers and laborers during the day. They close early because of the crime rate. But the owner and his Chinese wife run it. Again, the food is very good home style with enormous portions.The all day breakfast menu can be served with grits, spoon bread, or absolutely huge biscuits the size of a coffee cup saucer, fried trout, fish roe, etc. The wife is about as big as a fifth grader but she is the hardest worker in the world.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

We don't eat out anymore because DH is disabled and I usually just want to get home. Sometimes we get curbside pickup at a decent restaurent instead of fast food if I'm not up to cooking. What I really like to do is make something we both like with enough for a couple of days of leftovers. We really enjoy soups, stews, chili, spahetti sauce, or a roast or meatloaf that can be served with different side dishes.

I think I'd like to stop at gloriag's to eat ;0) or meet at the Monster Cookie for one of those giant biscuits

Thomson, GA

Well, I work on the road everyday and DH is a trucker, so he eats out all week, therefore when he is home I usually cook all the meals. I started a new diet Ash Wednesday as part of my Lenten fast, and it's really hard to find suitable foods at fast food joints, so I either eat a salad or take my own stuff in a little cooler for lunch, and then fix myself something healthy for dinner. I have discovered many foods I really like since I started this thing. I don't think I will ever go back to eating the way I used to. Especially the fast food.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

My DH and I have "date night" every Wednesday when we go out to eat at our favorite supper club. Other wise we eat at home most of the time. DH does 95% of the cooking, he's a great cook and really enjoys it. He cooks and I clean the kitchen.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Dad and I very seldom go out to eat, I do have my junk places and the Tumbleweed but just once in a great while, have to save money for plants lol We would both rather have a home cooked meal but then I have the time to fix it, I don't work. If I worked like most of you I would probably eat out more.
Lea

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Never enjoyed earting out, for one reason I prefer to know exactly what I am eating, always cook from scratch plus I enjoy cooking and baking just as much as I like gardening. If I do it out I prefer as much privacy around me as possible never a short order food for me.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

We prefer to home cooked meals at home, but we do eat out at least twice a week. Workdays tend to be very long in this area, so sometimes we are just to hungry and tired to cook. Although we have more restaurants per capita than anyother metro area in the country, there are only two restaurants that we will go to. I want fresh food that isn't overcooked and oversalted. Don't you dare put my food in the microwave!

Marietta, NY(Zone 5a)

My husband claims that my cooking is better than most of the local restaurants, so why bother going out to eat? Hmmmmmm, maybe I should start burning a few things here and there........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Because I'm on my own and also travel 200 miles a day (work and back) it makes for a long day..last thing I want to do is cook...so all my meal in restaurants...very rarely on the weekend do I cook as well...nice restaurant few doors down from me sooo very convenient..no mess/no fuss...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.