ID this plant growing in water?

Williamsburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Can someone ID this plant? It is growing in water and the roots almost completely fill the clear glass vase. I appreciate your help!

Thumbnail by lisaj20
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lisa, could you please show more of the plant itself, the upper portion. That might give us all a better idea. Thank you

Here's one

Thumbnail by lisaj20

here's another

Thumbnail by lisaj20

one more

Thumbnail by lisaj20
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow!!! Can't believe all the roots in the glass! How long has it been in there? I don't know what it is, but I want one....lol.
:) Donna

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I'd say it is a "Peace Lily - Spathiphyllum" growing in there....used alot in a vase with a beta fish living amongst the roots....Deb

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I would have thought that to but the veins in the leaves look different.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I looked at that too, but then just figured it was 'cause they're growing in water with no nutrient/mineral stuff....so leaves distort....whatever it is, it is gorgeous and quite a conversation piece......Deb

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Wow, is right!
It sure looks happy!

My guess would be one of the 'birds nest' type anthuriums.
Where did the plant come from?

Could you possibly show us a photo of the 'crown' of the plant....where the stems grow from the roots?

Someone else suggested anthurium and the leaves do look similar. I am not familiar with an anthurium. What do the roots look like? As you can tell, the roots on this plant are a vibrant green.

I spotted this in an office so I have no idea how old it is. The secretary growing it said someone who used to work with her gave it to her about a year ago. Beyond that, I don't know where it originated.

I think the 4th picture I posted is the only one I took which would show the stems and the roots. I'll look when I get home to make sure. I hope I can get an ID - like you Donna, I want one!! Lisa

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Lisa,

A couple of years ago when all this plants and fish in the vase was THE thing, two plants were usually uses. One was the petite Spath and the other was the Anthurium. The third was some form of Chinese Evergreen, or Aglaoenema, which I never saw used, but the leaves in your picture resemble the latter somewhat

I feel the Spath is out, because of the veining as stated above. I do not think it is an Anthurium, because their leaves are fairly heart-shaped, unless there is some variety that I am not familiar with.
I still don't think it is either. I do not really recognize the shape of the leaf.

Could it be some kind of a Philodendron????

HGita

What do you think of this anthurium? A possibility?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1640297

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Lisa,

Definitely! The leaves look very similar. Do you know the name of this one you just linked to?

Gita

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I doubt it's that one, specifically...BUT....
That one *is* a 'birdsnest type' anthurium.
There are a few that are 'relatively' common, as the birdsnest types go (they're not exactly common to the houseplant trade, but they are with collectors, and a lot of them are grown if Florida.)

Here's a link to some photos of Anthuriums, including many of the 'birdsnest' types.
Granted, some of these photos are of mature plants, so may not completely resemble yours.
I have A. cubense from this vendor and she doesn't have a photo of it on her website.
I can't get a photo right now, as my camera is already full of photos I haven't had time to upload (sorry)
I was thinking it resembled cubense, crenatum, barclayanum, hookeri or bakeri on this site

http://naturalselections.safeshopper.com/59/cat59.htm?444

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.