Taming the wild garden

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a pic of Tyler after being scolded for digging in the lawn, and as you can see he took it very well, looking away as to say " I DIDNT DO IT" just like yelling at a cat maybe that's where he learn it from. He is so smuge!!!!!
LOL just have to love him.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

The catch of the day, Ugly little monster.
My cats are always bringing me gifts. Never know what you might step on in the middle of the night.
First time I got one from a dog especially a puppy , Alive !!! Who a thought

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Would anyone besides Laurie ( they are on the way) like to have some seeds from my Blue Star
Columbine. have lots and would like to share. send me a d-mail

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Tillysrat, your hosta area looks so inviting! It's very peaceful looking, but I suppose that peaceful look is just meant to distract us from what lies underneat the surface: mole chasing cats and dogs!! LOL!! I wish there had been a film of all of that ruckus to catch the little mole. Poor thing. I think he is kind of cute, although he looks scared to death. I mean, he's just doing what comes naturally, but I guess the same can be said of the cats and dogs. He reminds me of Mr. Mole from the Beatrix Potter story books. I see he wears his velvet coat, but what has happened to his glasses??

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Was there a mole in the Potter books? I remember the one in Wind in the Willows - now that was a poor little chap! I seem to remember he was always getting almost left behind.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

He my have lost his glasses when I scoop him up in the flower pot, Ha Ha
He has a new home, at least not in my garden. I to wish I had a video on the chase and send it to funniest home video's I could have won some money.!!!!!!

Ridgefield, WA

What a lovely job with your gorgeous hostas! There's just something about a hosta that makes me exhale. They massage my senses somehow.

There is a mole in Appley Dapley's Nursery Rhymes, or I think that title is close. I believe the mole is Diggory Delvet (all dressed in velvet). Likely I was thinking of a combination of this and Mr. Mole from the Wind in the Willows.

I have to share my favorite hosta with you. I believe this is Sagae. I think that this year it is absolutely glorious. Plus, I remembered the slug protection early in the spring - (patting myself on the back). Slug protection is like birth control. It doesn't do anyone any good if it sits in the drawer.

Thumbnail by
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

that's a beauty - how big does it get?

Pix, that one could convert me - I have never felt that I could bear the slug heartbreak to grow hostas (bad enough fighting with the Bl**dy rabbit and my french beans this year!) - but this one does bring on plant envy. Lovely.

But your line about slug control, fortunately I am just going out to walk dog - because I am laughing out loud (ohhhhhh, shoot, I just got LOL! Am I quick or what!!!!! I have been chewing on that for months and months!) Well, I am really going out to walk the dog with a grin on my face, aren't I clever. You know, that has been needling me for ages - hmmpf.

Out I go, LOL.

Yes, I admit that this hosta gives me a "weak-kneed moment" in the garden. It's about 3 feet high, give or take a few inches. Took it about 3 years to get this size. In addition to the slug control put forth by my humble self, this hosta has rather thick, corrugated leaves that are more slug resistant than most other hostas. I tend to prefer these kinds of leaves because I, too, suffer hosta heart break when slugs manage to get to them before I do.

Now Laurie, since you are 'in-the-know' about 'LOL', how about ROFLOL??? HMMM??? Took me a long time to figure out both of those. I finally asked my DH! LOL!!!!!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I adore Hostas and, Pixy, that one is indeed glorious!!! My favorite is the one my grandma planted 40 years or so ago and I dug up last year at my parents' house, then divided for all the family members to have . . . at least a dozen relatives have now planted one in their garden. It's Hosta Undalata, a common one, but the emotional connection is HUGE!!!

I'll send some photos later, but I'm out the door now to my folks' place. In the meantime, I am ROTFLMBO!!!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

O' Kay I'm really at a loss now, I thought I had it now I think I'm wrong,

That's a gorgeous Hosta can't wait for mine to get bigger
and your right, gotta be two steps ahead of them slugs. I think I have every kind there is.
Tilly

Rolling on the floor laughing my backside off. (That "B" is often substituted with an "A")

I got home too late to take any photos of my grandma's Hosta - will try to accomplish that tomorrow. I delivered four today to relatives - we now have one of her Hostas in nine homes, with three to go (and I'm saving a couple - one for my daughter in Southern CA who hopes to move back here within a year, and one for the granddaughter who got married last Fall and will hopefully have a home someday) . . . I just love the idea of so many of my grandma's relatives loving her plant and having an actual piece of it. Two of my dearest friends have one as well.

I think gardening is amazing - it just goes on as it always has - people taking parts of their gardens with them when they moved, people passing parts of their gardens on to others that have moved. Its always been like that. Long may it continue.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Laurie,

That's one way being in the UK is better than here. You can really feel that history every time you step into your garden. I was amazed when I started reading this thread about your trees that, 100 years ago, were a hedge...

Murmur,

I think that's such a wonderful thing you are doing! What a neat connection and tradition you are creating.

I agree with susybell. There is so little sense of history like that in the U.S., except maybe on the east coast, but even that is very 'young' indeed.
It's amazing to think of you having your grandmother's hosta, Murmur. I'm the only gardener in my family that I know of, but I don't really know most of my family at all. I wonder if any of my ancestors gardened for pleasure. My grandmother lived on a farm, so gardening was how she ate. But she died when I was much younger. I can only hope that one or both of my children will take up gardening. It would likely be my boy rather than my girl, but I'll be satisfied if either one of them show even a slight interest.

Having my grandma's Hosta is thrilling. My parents still live in the house where she planted it and I am going to be digging up more of the things she planted soon as the folks are very frail and we just can't predict how long they will be able to stay there. Here's one of the plants from last year's dividing - it's not one of the best ones, most of them are gone to their new homes, but it will grow like the others. The ones I delivered Wednesday were exceptional - my cousin was thrilled!

I dug up some of her Lily of the Valley earlier this year and it even bloomed for me. The garden where she originally planted it is an incredible mass of it.

My grandmother's father was a landscape gardener in Ireland, and continued to do the same kind of work when they emigrated to the US. So those of us in the family who garden (about 50% that I'm aware of) came by it quite naturally, we like to say.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I wish that when my mother sold the house after my father passed away. that she had given me the chance to to dig up some of his plants, but I lived to far away.
He was a natural gardener, I was the only one that followed in his foot steps.
It is very wonderful on what you are doing. One of his favorite plants was a red rose planted in a toilet, and since we grew up in Pasadena, Calif. He call it The Rose Bowl. Thats one I would have love to have kept.
Tilly

Tilly, what a great memory! I think you could do one of your own in honor of your dad.

Definitely, Tilly. I grow the John F. Kennedy rose in memory of my dad. He had one outside his window in the nursing home and he loved to see it. I made sure it stayed in bloom for him.

Murmur, that is a very nice hosta. I think I have one just like it that I got from a friend. I love the colors of the variegation in that one.

I would love to know whether there were any gardeners in my family, but, alas, it is not to be.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I have thought about over the years, but Pixy you gave me a great idea, the Kennedy rose is one (He love him) I never thought of and I need to replace the toilet in the master bath soon. But what do you think If I made a special place in my happy trails garden for it I could put a old western sign post that says rose bowl Or Californy 30 mil or the outhouse 2 mil. Don't get me wrong my dad loved crazy things like that, He would of love it. He was a outdoorsy type. But love fishing mosly,

Okay here's a very wild idea, then, Tilly. Take the old toilet and remove the tank. Have your masculine husband dig you a big hole put the toilet down into the ground up to the rim. Plug the drain with plumber's putty and seal it with silicone caulk to make it water tight. Then fill with water, put a little aquatic soil in the bottom and plant a small water lily. 'Landscape' the area around the rim with small plants that will hang over the edge, like maybe black mondo grass (which stays short). Get a garden gnome with a fishing pole and make a small sign that says 'gone fishin' or something your dad would have liked. Grow the rose next to the little fishing pond. So cute I could just die!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL I love the idea, printed for hubby show pics when its its done
Thank you and I know just where its going to go.
Tilly

All right! Can't wait to see the photos.

Pixy, you're a creative genius! Tilly, this is too much fun - can't wait for pics!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Told hubby about it loves the idea, He said why wait to replace the one in the house when we have one in the old mobile that's used for storage, This my happen sooner than I thought. Now I got to go shopping for the plants we need. I have so many projects going. I will never have to worry about nothing to do Ha Ha !!!!!!

Laurie: Got the seeds today, and I am a real moron, after reading your note I was thinking what kind of rice is this, whole grain, long rice etc... Then I realized it was the name of a person. I'm still laughing at myself.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I found these on my butterfly bush, I have never seen this before, can someone tell what kind of eggs these are. They are really hard. I tried to mash them and they rolled away, I put them in a jar incase they are a good bug.
Tilly

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Can't wait to see the potty pond!! LOL!! You won't even tell what it actually is made of!
Could those be butterfly eggs?

There should be a small, classy-looking sign somewhere, perhaps almost hidden, indicating "Potty Pond." LOL - Pixy, you're the greatest!

why they refer to it as Snail Mail is beyond me - that was great post service! (I think Graham Rice would be much amused!)

Happy sowing.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I bet he would be amused, Can't believe I thought that, I being a asst. mgr. at a retail store, O'my makes me wonder how I got there, Will be potting them this weekend without the long grain rice. LOL

I have a place in mind for the potty, but I don't think the plants will like it. At the top point of happy trails is a large cedar that hang almost to the ground its almost like a cavern and just below it after you inter is the creek, It would look great there but know plants live there, I have a pic of it I think if not I'll take one later the mosquitoes are out in force today the weather has be very humid. I am highly allergic to them.

No Pixy my butterfly bush can't laid eggs! but no joking I have never seen butterfly eggs before, but sence I have been adding alot of plants to attract them it couls be I will post a tread and see if someone knows.
Tilly

No

Laurie, I got my seeds yesterday, too - and I am so excited to get them going! Thanks so much for your lovely note and for the directions on sowing - I will do my best to follow them to the letter!

Well, my imagination does run amok at times, Murmur, and often in many directions at once. I don't know if that makes me a genius, or just confused. So many wierd ideas. So little time, space, and all the rest. Here's my latest bizarre idea: we found a dead crow in the yard and rather than just put the poor thing in the recycle bin, I had to try to cast the thing with alginate (the stuff they use at the dentist to do molds of teeth). So I did it, and then poured cement into the mold. My kids think I am the wierdest woman who ever walked the earth. Likely they are correct, but they are my spawn so what does that say about them??? I uncast the cement crow tonight and I am not impressed. I don't know if I will try to salvage it or not. Probably not. I don't really need another project. So it's right next to the cement angel I found in the neighbor's trashcan. Not that I was looking in the trash, I assure you. Just driving by and it happened to be right on top. And it's a really nice angel. One wing was broken off and I just could not leave it there. It was really rather a touching sight, this cement angel with a broken wing, sitting reverently with bowed head on top of the neighbor's trash. I directed my son to zip out of the car and nab, I mean rescue, the thing, which he did with much eye rolling and a few sighs. So now I've made her another cement wing and she is almost ready to find a home in the garden somewhere. It' s not perfect, but I don't think she cares. It gives her great character, to be sure.
Tilly, I think you are right that no plants would grow in your little water garden (or 'potty pond', as it were...LOL!) if you put it underneath a cedar tree. Too much shade. Plus, you are going to have to top this little pond off frequently if we ever get consistently warm weather here. You'll want easy access to it I imagine.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Pixy, you helped an angel get its wings! lol......
I don't suppose you ever do workshops or classes, do you? I've seen some of your creations in other forums and they're gorgeous!

Tilly, I can't help it, I've got to say this....if it was a fountain it could be "Flushing Falls"...

sorry, I'll go away now. I get kind of weird late at night....

no, no, no jokes before work!

Susy, what a great way for me to start the day - with a hearty laugh!!!

And, Pixy, you do know I love you, right? And would happily adopt you in a minute if you needed a mom.

I'm off to the big city soon, taking dinners to the folks (our version of Meals on Wheels). Hope everyone has a perfectly delightful day!

Ah, you guys are so nice! Susybell, I'm happy you enjoy seeing my little creations. Only the photos of the 'cream of the crop' get posted, you know. I would be completely out of my league giving any kind of class or workshop, but I am always happy to answer questions about how I've done things, if I know the answer. LOL!!

Murmur, that's one of the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me!

Flushing falls??? LLLOOOLLL!!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Suzy; that's not a bad idea, got to work on it. If I ever get any time off with some decent weather, I live in the conversion zone you never know whats going to happen. The weather channels never get it right, its always nice when I go to work bad on my days off.. woe is me>>>>But I still like Pixy idea never know I might come up with both..... Now there's a thought.

I saw something very neat on the news this morning about pennies and slugs.
If you put pennies around your plants the slugs will not cross them because they get a little electric charge from them and keeps them away from the plants, If this really works start saving your pennies girls are yards will be richer than we are.
I have a big jar of them and Sat. going to see how smart this person is who said this. I have swamp bottom land and and a creek that runs thru it and it is slug H>ll
if you know what I mean. If it works think of all the money we can save on slug bait it would be worth just pennies.

Pixy, in the garden gate magazine I saw something I think you would really like.
Saving angles and making cast of crows, have you thought of making a bird bath out of a rubbard leaf, If you would like to have a copy let me know I can scan it and E-mail to you or mail it, its really cool, but you don't have to have a leaf that big.

Tilly, I hope Pixy will post some of her creations here - she has made some stunning things that will just take your breath away. I saw that article, too, and have saved it for the day I have time to give it a try. Someday! Sigh.

And I am going to try the penny idea - I'll try it around my Hostas that are getting eaten even with Sluggo around.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.