Making it harder than if has to be

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

How about using the tops of containers as 'cloches' or as mini-cold frames? Does anybody do that?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

we're at 48° right now, with expected wind gusts to 45mph. I've recovered all the containers that still had lids, or lids that would still fit on (due to seedling height) and they are all snug on my porch out of the wind and rain... now here's to hoping that when it hits 31F, it's only there for a few minutes before it starts to heat back up.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I too love this method as it's a 'sow-n-go'. I really don't understand all the fussing. I planted my containers, this is my second year doing this, put them outside and don't touch them unless I am checking to see if there are any sprouts. Once the seedlings are big enough, I start transplanting them into my garden. I keep my records so I can see from one year to the next what worked and what didn't. The ones that worked real well last year were increased this year. Here are my results so far and I'm still sowing! http://lakehousecreations.com/wintersown_2007.htm

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

How long does it take to make all those spreadsheets etc., Anita? I said that wrong - how much time do you spend entering data? I am waaaaay behind - I think I have the non-waterproof pen problem solved, but now my data entry is a bunch of pieces of paper with notes scribbled on them.

xxx, Carrie

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I've had seedlings so big that the were growing out the top of the milk jug - but I also kept them in the shade and watered! This was last year when I didn't have time to plant everything out. They did fine, though.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mobi, if they're that big, are they still seedlings? Maybe 'plants' or 'young plants'. My 'seedlings' are 1/2" high, at most, lol. Nowhere near the top of container!

xxxx. Carrie

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

This was last year, so far, this year I still have very small seedlings.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank goodness! I thought my sprouts were way behind...

xxx, C

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Be glad they're behind -- weather here Fri & Sat nights will be in the teens. That is enough to kill a lot of things, and cripple things like trees. The foliage is bad for the whole season and it takes a couple of years for them to recover. I have a feeling my WS sprouts are history.

Suzy

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Let us know if you do lose them. I have never lost seedlings to freezing temps but it would help to know if you did or did not lose them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

my MG's looked terrible... wilted and leaves shriveling... so i brought them in out of the cold. I wasn't gonna lose over 40 MG's .... I'll pamper them a bit, a long with the 3 sunflowers (I Posted that image somewhere) poor lil things all wilted and shriveling.... all the others looked OK.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I had some early sprouts, that wilted and died from the last spurt of freezing temps, so now I made sure to be a little fussy. ......... I have sooo many tiny new sprouts I would die if they were all gone in a couple of days. So I threw some burlap on top of them. They were already all grouped close together, I hope that's enough. I would love to have just left them but I did lose 4 or 5 containers full of babies the first time.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Carrie - it doesn't take long, because I update it as I sow the containers or check for sprouts.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Nikki, were they annuals an/or perennials?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It takes me a long time maybe because my computer's far away from where I do my containers and I do a whole bunch at once; afterwards it seems hard to get another big chunk of time. Also I don't have a good set-up like you do yet.

xxx, Carrie

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I think both, I just waited to sow the annuals, but they did already sprout. The only things that haven't were the sweet peas and the daylilies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.