It's about time...Yellowwood

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I'll only add to Scott's fine photos that the big Cladrastis kentukea he just illustrated had been the national champion yellowwood, not just for Ohio.

I guess when it began to disintegrate, it had to abdicate the honor to a similarly large individual located at Cave Hill Cemetery, in Louisville.

One more perspective on the old fellow...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

VV you must have climbed the neighbor tree. Just so it wasn't a Monkey Puzzel tree. Ouch.

I'm just a larger hybrid than Scott. That's why he only got me in the shin (see other thread).

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Steven,

In answer to your question, I would think you could plant them all out, especially if you can protect them from rabbits, or, as your case may be, bison, elk, moose, musk ox, grizzlies, coyotes, mule deer, black bear, brown bear, jack rabbits, antelope, caribou, timber wolves, grey wolves, marmots, prairie dogs, or the occasional marauding cattle, sheep, llamas, and ostriches that have escaped your neighbor's pastures. Have I forgotten anything? Horses? Do bald eagles ever supplement their diets with vegetation?

Scott

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Have I forgotten anything?

Humans, particularly public authority employees and electricity company employees ;-)

Greensboro, AL

How about racketty coons, wolverines, and porcupines??? I sure hope those sweet little yellowwoods make it.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a 8'fence with a jack russell terrier so no rabbits, the rest can'get in. Except the humans. I worked outside all day preping the site. It is perfect. I had soil ammendments sitting on the site all winter and it was just waiting for that special tree to get started. Tomorrow I will show you the site. Now to come up with a place for the Halesia. I think I have one. It was fun today seeing the tree in my mind fully grown and looking great.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I have a question that I am hoping someone knows the answer to. Do the old seedpods eventually fall off of the yellowwood or does the tree have these littered throughout the branches for eternity? (I know this sounds like a stupid question.)

I cut a bunch of the seedpods out of my tree last fall to save the seeds, but the remaining pods are still firmly attached to the tree. I know the pods will fall, eventually, but how many years does it take? (:o) And when the pods fall, what happens to the part of the tree they were attached to? (I don't know what to call it?)
Thanks,
Mike

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Usually the seed pods and retained leaves fall with the new leaf eruption in the spring. I don't know Mike.
This is the new home for my Cladrastis with a south-west facing sunny location and will have a backdrop of Ponderosa pine. Should have a nice contrast.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Concord, NH

Thanks for this thread, all of you. I've been looking at this tree for a number of years, and guess I'd better get serious about looking for a few. It's good to know that despite its limy soil origins, it's flexible as to pH since I've got definitely acid soil. I've been debating back and forth about the regular species vs. 'Perkins Pink.' From the photos (though it might just be my computer monitor) it looks like it's not very pink - quite pale. I'd welcome any opinions about whether folks like the white or the pink better. Is there any difference in autumn color between the two?

This message was edited Mar 25, 2007 12:37 PM

Peoria, IL

Babs,

I have never seen 'Perkin's Pink' in flower either and would say one thing about the pictures in this thread. This is not a slam at anyone taking the pictures but I suspect that most were taken in some automated metering mode. When this happens, the camera weights the exposure for the object that make up the majority of the image. In this case, it exposed for the leaves. Getting true color of the flowers would require metering on and an exposure for the flowers. Since it didn't happen, the camera did a fine job getting the leaves looking normal but the flowers were "blown." Anything with red hues in it needs an underexposure of about one stop for accurate color rendition, depending on conditions. One other factor is your monitor. If it is set too contrasty it will lose color information. I'm looking at them on a calibrated monitor and they are washed out so I'd guess that the color is a bit skewed because of exposure at the time of capture. I suspect that they are a nice pink and well worth buying.

Regards,
Ernie

Eau Claire, WI

Perkins Pink has light or pale pink flowers. I'd compare it to the early efforts of yellow flowered Magnolias. The initial offerings (i.e. Elizabeth) were more off yellow rather than a rich, dark yellow. Maybe down the road we'll see a darker pink, but for now we'll have to settle for something a bit more subtle. It's still pretty nice, however, and a good solution would be to plant one of each.

Fulton, MO

I have two 'Perkins Pink' and both have flowered. IMHO, the colors in the pics are about right. The pink is quite subtle.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Ernie, Keep coming with this type of info re photos. Most of us, speaking really for myself here, do not have a clue about this type of thing. Very valuable information. Thanks, Ken

I'm in Ken's Klub, except that even after reading Ernie's Exhortations, I'm Still Stumped.

Peoria, IL

VV, Ken

perhaps a couple of pictures will help. These are screenshots from Adobe Camera Raw, a program that allows camera-type adjustments to an image in the computer after taking the shot and seated comfortably in one's chair. If you goof up when taking the shot, the RAW image is much more flexible than a jpeg. One thing about it is that it doesn't give you the heavily saturated and contrasty images that come in JPEG straight from the camera. The photographer gets to choose how contrasty and saturated the image is. Anyway, the picture that I chose was 'Blushing Knockout' Rose, with a similar color to 'Perkins Pink.' It was taken on a calm, misty/rainy, evenly lit day in Mansfield, OH without flash; perfect conditions for photography. In ACR, I have adjusted the exposure in this image by -.50 stops until the red channel quit clipping the right edge of the histogram. See the cerise-colored circles. The whole red channel being in the histogram means that all of the red color that is possible is now availble to see. The foliage in the background seems a little dark. Note: once a person "learns" what their camera can handle without blowing things, you can over-expose a RAW somewhat and then pull it back in ACR and still recover all of the information. Techno-freaks like me do this to maximize the signal to noise ratio and hence, overall image quality. It's pretty complex and I don't have time to a good job explaining it. If anyone is interested, here's a link to a lot of links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=expose+right+Raw

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by malusman
Peoria, IL

In image #2, I have adjusted the image to +.20 or .70 stops more than the first image. Notice that the edges of the petals have started to go white and the pinks aren't as pink. The red channel has ran off of the right edge of the histogram, indicating lost color information. The foliage in the background looks just about correctly exposed, perhaps a little dark for my eye.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by malusman
Peoria, IL

One last picture. Taken under sunny, hazy skies in Ithaca, NY. Pulling the exposure back 1.05 stops gets things pretty close, with the red channel still just clipping on the right hand side of the histogram. 1 stop underexposed was just about right on this image.

Regards,
Ernie

Thumbnail by malusman
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

My PP yellowwood is easily going to put on 3' of growth this year - I am just amazed. I didn't realize this tree grew so quickly. My tree is going to bloom again this year, too, though not as heavily as last year.

My Crimson Spire™ oak is also going to put on an amazing amount of growth again this year. Last year the tree grew about 3.5' in height. Oaks slow? Hogwash!
Mike

Fulton, MO

Giving this thread a bump.

My buddy has a nursery. Every now and again, he lets me pick through his compost pile, and 3-4 years ago, I found this. Now I thought that it was Cledrastis kentukea ‘Arnold’s Pink,’ but I seem to have failed to write it down. Further, I have another confirmed Pink Yellowwood, and it is much, much larger, with no blooms this year whatsoever.

Can anyone confirm for me that this is Cledrastis kentukea ‘Arnold’s Pink’ as I recall?

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

Another view

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

Flower

Thumbnail by stressbaby

Nicely done, stressbaby.

Talk about a resurrection! This thread deserves an anniversary celebration - there are a lot of good valuable thoughts herein.

In the best Resin rendition: Spell check...Cladrastis kentukea is American Yellowwood. The history of the pink one is that it was found at the Perkins Institute for the Blind up in Massachusetts, and distributed by the Arnold Arboretum as 'Rosea'. That might be where you get the idea of 'Arnold's Pink'.

I think the exact same plant has been distributed since 1996 with the name 'Perkins Pink'. The only variable is if seedlings from the parent plants are in circulation; they have the propensity for pink bloom as well.

Those are nice pink flowers. I reckon I'll have to plant one around here one of these days. Are those one of the purple Physocarpus in the background?

Fulton, MO

VV, I stand corrected. Thank you.

Yes, 'Diablo' in the background, as well as Cercidiphyllum japonicum ‘Rotfuchs’ which, oddly, seems to grow better than either of the Cercidiphyllum japonicum species plants I have.

And I agree, great thread.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Great to see this thread bumped! Beautiful specimen you have there stressbaby :) I've noted also that this seems to be an outstanding year for Diablo - seeing them everywhere with blooming like I haven't seen in years! The cool, rainy spring a lot of us have experienced seems to be making everything very happy this year :) I was fortunate this year to catch our 'Perkin's Pink' blooming - usually I miss it because we're away so much during the spring! I think the color would be a little darker if it wasn't crowded out by a Magnolia planted too close on its right. We had a gentleman here over the weekend who may be helping us do some heavy pruning and limbing up of trees in the area and I think the Magnolia has lost the fight to stay or go - 'Perkin's Pink' wins this battle!

Thumbnail by rcn48

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.