On the Lookout for Purple Passion Plant - Phoenix Metro Area

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

My mom always grew these when I was growing up and I cannot find them anywhere around here. Phoenix Flower Shop told me that growers were banned (?!?) from bringing them to this area. I don't believe him. Has anyone seen this plant in this area? Thank you! Cindy

Thumbnail by CindyInAZ
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Banned?! No way. I saw it last year at Lowes, Bakers, and Summerwinds, Cindy, just keep your eye out. I f I see it anywhere I will try to remember to let you know.

I begin to think you have a thing for purple.........

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I got mine at Lowe's last year. And I too saw them at all the palces az listed.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

I haunt all the Big Box stores and haven't seen it there recently. Haven't checked Summerwinds though. Hummm. Thanks for the tips. Cindy

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had several of these plants and I manage to kill them every time. I have seen them many times in Home Depot. I once had a huge one in a hanging basket but killed it too. I just must not be the right plant for me but I hope you find one and do well with it.

Jesse

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

The Lowes here as purple passion all the time - let me know if you want me to pick one up for you.

Sharon

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sharon, that is so kind of you. I called a local garden center that I frequent and they offered to special order it for me. If they can't produce, I'll be delighted to take you up on your offer. Thank you so much. Cindy

Humansville, MO

i grow them here in mo
i will ship you one .
if i can find out how to do it.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

From the DG 'Trading Primer':

Sending rooted cuttings. Rooted cuttings can look as fresh as the day they were dug if some simple steps are taken when packaging them.

Dirt - remove it or leave it? This is a decision you must make. Some states and foreign countries require that all soil be washed from the roots before a plant can be sent. If that is the case, treat them similar to an unrooted cutting for packaging. Use sterile peat moss, water-absorbing gel capsules, moist sawdust or shredded newsprint to provide extra moisture and cushion to the roots while in transport.

If you remove the dirt, be sure to give the packaging material time to absorb water; for example, peat is notoriously slow to become saturated.

Adding a bit of diluted fertilizer or B1 to the soaking water will also help give the plants a boost to overcome transplant shock.

Paper towels + plastic bags + newspaper. As with unrooted cuttings, this is the minimum that should be done for rootballs with soil attached. Wrap the rootball in well-soaked (but not dripping) paper towels, then in a small plastic bag or plastic wrap, securing at the stem base with tape or rubber band. Roll the foliage in a "cone" of newspaper, similar to how street vendors wrap bouquets.

Aluminum foil pockets. You can also use aluminum foil to make a pocket for the rooted cuttings. Fold the foil in half, and tuck the rootball into the folded area, then continue to fold the aluminum around, pressing firmly to remove any air pockets. Roll the foliage in a "cone" of newspaper, similar to how street vendors wrap bouquets.

I am adding: make a copy of the trade agreement, including your user name, real name, address and email address to put in the box you will send the plant in. LABEL the plant and send along any special growing instructions.

Take the labeled box to the post office within a few hours and mail it. Inform the recipient that you have mailed them a box, and ask that they dmail you when they receive it. SAVE the correspodence!

Humansville, MO

what if you can send in dirt?
how do you do it?

Humansville, MO

cindy
do you want one?

i live in a small town about 47 mile from springfield mo

Humansville, MO

here is a picture

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO

one more

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just picked up one today and yours is far prettier than mine. Thank you so much for your generosity. Cindy

Humansville, MO

thank-you
once you get one
you will have many
they grow very good

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.