Crossvine

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Last spring when it appeared that the crossvine ran out of places to go, I hooked up a decorative chain to the tree above and the problem was solved. The vine is loaded...it's kind of overcast this morning so the light isn't the best. The blue, is a strand of dragonfly lights...
Big Fern in back ground is Australian tree fern...
Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think tomorrow will be the big opening of the majority .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and on up the tree it goes

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow!! Post please post pictures of the big opening. I think I will ahve to go out and get me one of these!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay..will do..I thought for sure today would be the opening, I think they're waiting for that sunny day.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

three opens ones...i

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That is magnificent....did it hold through this winter this well???? what is a cross vine....what family?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes it usually is the first bloomer when it's still fairly cool.
I don't know what family it is. I bought that and and unamed brug, that is also a prolific bloomer at a landscapers nursery. He has 1 sale open to the public at the end of the summer...just generic tags.
I know someone will know..actually I read about there are only 9 family of vines or something..I'm lucky to remember cross and vine....and then it was a while for that...lol

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks and i will look around, too, for information on the botanical name

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oy...I use to call it a trumpet vine...then found out it was a cross vine..now I can't find it in plantfiles.

I found an inovative answer for vines...I bought two 40 foot bamboo ladders, one is on the east fence, the other opposite on the west end of the deck. Going to have orange sky vine with Murtoni Grandiflora (a more frequent bloomer than the grandiflora) I did have a jade vine 30 feet up the ladder before jack frost played his joke here. 27 fri night...70 saturday..the plants are still freaking. I do have another jade vine..but..I might put it in front, by the house..protected

This is the view from my kitchen...If your observant, you'll see one of the ladders on the right. I have poison arrow vine planted there

This message was edited Mar 13, 2007 10:14 AM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

RJ your fern is gorgeous. Mine took a beating during the Feb cold spell. I has a couple of shoots, so I guess it's OK, but at this rate it will never be a "tree".

Lovely crossvine.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey vossner..
you know..I am still trying to figure that one out, as right next to it is a large bird of paradise that got fried ...the fern didn't seem to notice..it just kept extending fronds..
I have 2 fern pups too....nothin...they're just as happy..
I never expect it to get to a tree ..until...it start getting so big..it's building a trunk now...

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy--I have just one question (beautiful pics!). How on earth did you get up that tree to attach the chain? I'm thinking that's a great job for one of the teenagers around here--they seem to think they are immortal and their bones will never break.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think it is Bignonia capreolata. I know it is from the Bignonia family. Those ladders are unbelievable large.
And that fern is georgeous. I wish they would grow here. But no such luck in the desert.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You know those tree trimmers, I hooked the chain on a plant hook, set on the extended tree trimmer, and I wish I could say I got it the first time...bzzzzzz..the 3rd try...I use that thing all the time.
I was lucky with the ladders..I was in Thailand buying for an import store I part owned and saw them upside a coconut tree in Chiang Mai..I told the taxi...stooooop...good thing I was shipping in a 40 foot container. It was really a fun experience..stressful too..but...I made sure my garden had it's decor..
Thanks for the name on that vine..I'm going to go look that up.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Rj...we have been playing today...now back home...no big finds except the 'baby pink' Jatropha. This is interesting info I found. No wonder it didn't freeze....it is hardy to zone 6, but a slow starter.

Bignonia capreolata Crossvine or Anisostichus Z: 6-9

Semi-evergreen, self-clinging vine. Handsome foliage & flowers are principal ornamental features. Excellent for covering a fence or trellis. Should be more widely used. Foliage is not as heavy as many vines, so it's good for lighter weight trellises or where you don't want a solid cover. Mocha scented blooms. Takes deep shade but flowers better with sun.

Please note: As young plants, Bignonias are slow. It is not atypical for 'yearlings' to be somewhat diminutive plants that probably won't have roots that fill out the quart pot they're planted in. This is normal. They're potted in late winter but pretty much sit patiently and wait until hot weather -- May-June before they start growing. You will see a marked jump in growth the second year and thereafter.

Soil: Moist but well-drained H: 30' W: Varies w/ support

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep..that's him.
It's been 3 or 4 years. This will be the first spectacular bloom, although it does seem to want to bloom. It even throws out some blooms in the fall.
I wonder if the seeds will grow true? I remember picking 2 seed pods last year.

They are really easy to root Randy. I did two in a sonic cup last fall because I was too lazy to walk and get a pot. Just dirt and cuttings. Both took and I got a single bloom on each one already. Took really short cuttings (about 6").

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It use hibiscus fertilzer on it. Space City Hibiscus Fertilizer, 18-8-28 soluable. In fact, Phillip and I were talking about it yesterday...both of us use it practically on all tropicals, with great response.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Debbie..... I was trying to think where I would get woody cuttings.. , it's not really a very thick vne. We're they woody cuttings?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

If you don't have thick woody close to the roots, then that is just the way the vine is... Glad to know about this fertilizer....where did you originally get it???? Southwest fertilizer on the corner of Renwick and Bellaire Blvd>????

They weren't all that thick Randy--actually pretty thin.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah..that's what I was thinking...they are slender.
Yes..Southwest fertilzer..that is their own brand, and their best selling product I was told. That and the alfalf pellets they have are already combined with cotton seed, seaweed, mollasses and fish emulsion...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks RJ.....they will take an order over the phone and ship...I have done that....thanks a lot....

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful, RJ!! I got one two years ago from DonnaB at the plant trade. It is still alive but haven't seen any buds yet.
:) Donna

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks- It seemed to like the chain idea...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Today was the good bloom

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

say "spider"

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

side

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

blue sky background

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

have to get back to the March Madness on TV....but have to tell you this is one magnificent plant you have nurtured to this peak!!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm in total envy!
:) Donna

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

RJ the last picture is great!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thankyou. Usually 1 out of 10 things you envision turn out like you envision it...so now..9 more to go..lol

Denver, CO

(Hello, al, Gal-from-the-Peg, DMJ, and Marie)
Great specimen, RJ, I love the even coverage of flowers.

I would be forever indebted to anyone who can answer:
Has anyone grown this is undeniably alkaline soil?

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

This vine is a must have according to the book "some like it hot"

It is a must have for me too.I have 2 seed pods that I snatched from "Brookgreen Gardens" last year but I think I will go for a more mature plant.

Your plant is sensational!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I have two bignonea capreolata 'tangerine beauty' which I'm using to cover a great expanse of brick on my ugly Square-shaped house. The soil here is more acidic; sorry that I cannot answer your question, JamesCo. I love this vine!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Loved the pic's RJ. poor poor little spider . . . going to be lunch for the lizard??? . . .do lizards eat spiders???

James--it grows like a weed here in UNDENIABLY alkaline soil! =)

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Love the lizard pic! I would love to have the large format pic so I could put it on my desktop! I just love lizards (and yes, they eat spiders as well as lots of other creepy crawlers, which is part of why I love them!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.