Fun Quiz: Do you know what is/are the ides?

There are a total of 472 votes:

The 15th day of March; Julius Caesar was told to beware the Ides of March
(261 votes, 55%)
Red dot

The first day of the Roman New Year, marking the first day of spring on the Roman Calendar.
(30 votes, 6%)
Red dot

The 15th day of May, July, or October in the ancient Roman calendar.
(12 votes, 2%)
Red dot

The 13th day of the other months in the ancient Roman calendar.
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

All of the above.
(129 votes, 27%)
Red dot

None of the above.
(31 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I certainly remember hearing that - I think before Caesar gets stabbed in the back, but can't recall what it means.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

The public school system worked, and I remembered 11th grade literature! :-)

edit: Now that I think about it, it was 9th grade. :-)

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 9:45 AM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Another trick question from Terry: The Ides were the 15th day of March, May, July and October, The 13th day in the other months. Both the Romulan and Julian calender were quite complex.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
Both the Romulan and Julian calender were quite complex.

I think the Vulcan calendar is even more complex than the Romulan's. ;-)

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Romulan! LOL! Roman calendar, Farmerdill. The correct answer is all of the above; the Ides fell on the 15 on some months, 13 on others, was the first day of spring on the Roman calendar (Rome is warm!), and was the day on which Julius Caesar was stabbed, as recounted by Shakespeare.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh yes, Nifty, very good point, I forgot entirely.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually, the first Roman calender was reputed to have been devised by Romulas ( Romulan) and revised by Julius (Julian). The main reason it is tricky, is that Answer One specifies the 15 th of March. Answer Two, throws in the New Year , Anwer Three, leaves out March and does not cover the other ides, Answer Four would be correct if combined with answer three but is incomplete in itself. Sorry folks I have been around multiple choice testing programs too many years.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, Farmerdill, I've been around Star Trek for too many years. No disrespect intended! Good information there. :-)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey..it made me laugh Nifty

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Chuckle....I think I should turn over the garden quizzes to FarmerDill - I think he'd do a smashing job with them!!!!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, your choices confused me. I thought it was "all of the above." However, if it's the 15th of May, July and Oct. and the 13th of the other months, then Mar. would be one of the "other months." And I knew Mar. 15 was definitely the ides, so I decided my memory was failing me; and I chose the wrong one.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I KNEW that one!! All the above is the right answer but I really only knew that a couple of answers were correct so I took a leap of faith and landed softly. Those Romans were a wily bunch. You couldn't trust them. If they didn't like you they made you catnip for the lions. And since they ruled the world (as they knew it) who was going to complain? Like our present gov't if they want to change the time, they do. They wanted to change the calendar - they did. Not only beware the Ides of March et al but just "Beware".

Ann

Morrinsville ~Waikat, New Zealand

After plodding through all your replies I am now thoroughly confused ,whereas I wasn't before ! Mind you ,I didn't really know before anyway -something to do with Caesar being stabbed ...."et Tu Brutus "
Emelle.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Nifty LOL. at least I knew about Caesar

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
I've been around Star Trek for too many years.

Et tu, nifty??

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't know about Caesar, I just guessed to get to the answer. :p

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Cool idea Terry, how about a 'special-guest-appearance-question' from FarmerDill some time! :)

Anytime he (or anyone else) wants to dream up a question for us, the door is always open ;o)

Horsens, Denmark

Oh my goodness, I mostly get these questions wrong, but got it right this time.
And I just took the one that seem least unlikely for me LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I got it right too .. remembered my latin. The word ides comes from Latin, meaning "half division" (of a month).

X

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Finally, an all of the above! It had to be right. It was, too, I mean before I knew. It sounded right.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually I would flunk all of you. Every answer is either incomplete or contains one inaccurate statement except none of the above. No wonder the kids have so much trouble with the SAT.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I cheated and looked it up!!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. I just guessed. Then I saw I was partially right but had voted with the majority.

Farmerdill-give a us a quiz!!

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Julius who? Didn't he open a winery, with brother Ernest?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This was a trick question and actually none of the answers were correct.

Jesse

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary... "the 15th day of March, May, July, or October or the 13th day of any other month in the ancient Roman calendar."

Should we assume the meaning has changed since the conception of the word? People today use the word "moot" as an adjective to mean "not subject to debate," which, of course, is contrary to its original definition.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Farmerdill - I didn't actually vote, am I still wrong ;)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was tricked...lol. I thought the question was, what ARE the ides of March are, not where is the word used or made famous.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The question was " What are/is the "Ides"? March 15 is one example of the twelve possible examples but does not answer the question. The Julian calender year began with the Kalendae of January ( January 1). Kalendae from which is derived our word calender is the first day of the month. Takes out anwer two nicely.
Remember the famous question? How many animals of each type did Moses take aboard the ark?

tsk, tsk, tsk. Farmerdill is reading way too much into the answers. I'm not sure I would want to take a test he created - yikes! (*grin*)

Simply put, I took the definitions I found for describing the ides and divvied them up among several options, so as to make an "all of the above" answer. Because - as carrielamont pointed out - I rarely offer an "all of the above" option (since the goal of the weekly question is to stimulate dialogue, not create some scientifically accurate survey ;o)

None of the answers is completely correct on its own, but all of the answers combined would be (pedantics notwithstanding) correct.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Eheu! a pox on he betides
Who confusing quiz provides
To Julian calendrous ides
Where lore and logic doth collides.

The months in half it subdivides,
And ushers in the fresh spring tides.
But some the fifteenth it decides
While others triskadekaphides.

Reputed day of Caesarcides,
As Shakespeare's Witch she prophesieds.
"Et Tu", to Brutus, he confides,
As dagger into toga slides.

What brought forth these strange asides?
My guess so bad, it wounded prides.
So with encyclopaedic guides
I'd best review all Roman ides.

Selma, AL(Zone 8a)

WOW

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Its also my birthday and my wedding anniversary - smart husband, only has to remember one day, gets two points.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

So, if it's all of the above, then everyone who didn't say "none of the above" is right, right?

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

My hats off to Don - and doth repeat.....WOW

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

A simple WOW will not suffice
For clever wit and rhyme,
Although in gardening season's vice
We may not have the time
To splurge with praise
So well deserved
One who has turned a clever phrase,
As we have all observed.

Methinks perhaps this clever child,
His brilliant wit effulgent,
Must verily publish more his script -
He must be more indulgent
To brighten up our daily lives
And dazzle us with verse
That is, of course, if when he strives
He vouchsafes being terse

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

re the winery - it was Ernest and Julio Gallo

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I'm with Farmerdill and I think the answer is none of the above.

Jesse

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.