Propagating and Identifying House Plants.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I know I can go over the the Propagation Forum but I thought I could get some good advice right here in our House plant forum and that maybe some of you have the same questions. I'm going to post a couple pictures of my plants and see if any of you know the best way to propagate them. First I did post a picture of my Bougenvilla on this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700572/ If anyone is interested in taking a look at it.
Here is my Chiense Evergreen, I cut these off thinking that they would root in water very fast. No they didn't. I'v had these in water for weeks maybe a month or more and they don't look any different than when they went in.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
(Zone 1)

Holly .... I love that Chinese Evergreen! I've never had luck rooting them in water either. Don't know why, I would think they would root easily that way. Hope someone will post some info here - I'm real interested to know why these guys don't seem to like the water rooting method!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The plant is doing fine in the water, even producing new leaves but no roots.
How about Philodendrons? I haven't had this Prince of Orange very long but I'd like to try propagating this too.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

As far as I know, nether Aglaonemas or Philos will root in water from just a leaf stem. To root these, you have to remove a section of the plant at the very bottom with some roots attached and pot it up. If it is a young plant, it may not yet have a multiple base where you can split it up.

Gita

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

You can always air layer around the nodes, too.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I was able to propagate that same Ag . The plant had been long neglected (Not by me!) and grown into three long winding stems with just a few leaves at the end. I cut the three tops off and planted them, then sectioned the rest and stuck them half into the soil. It seemd slow, but worked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.