ZZ question

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't want to hijack the other zz thread, so I posted this.
I keep reading/hearing from people about how easy a plant this is to care for. Not for me. It would seem from the threads I've read that over watering was the problem, but I tend to water them like a Xmas cactus. Not as much as a "regular" houseplant, but more than my true cacti.
This is what it looks like when the stems die back; parts of the stem are alive and healthy after the rest of it dies.
I admit, I'm totally stumped. Any advise would be appreciated.

Marsha

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

No one ever hijacks a thread, silly!! Actually, did you get the website on the ZZ plant that administration gave to me?? There is a lot to study about this plant. I will give it to you...maybe in the meantime, some pro will jump in and be able to help you. Mine is new so I haven't had time to kill it yet (LOL)
[HYPERLINK@members.chello.at]
let's try something else
http://members.chello.at/norbert.anderwald/Zamioculcas/index_e.htm

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 8:48 AM

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually, I got the zz from a trade with a person on GW about two-three years ago. I swapped a good-sized San Pedro cactus for it.
Thanks for the link!

Marsha.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

My small one was 22.00 at Lowe's so I really want to be able to take care of it properly.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought one of the "$20" lowe's ZZ after it was marked down to $8. :)

I have it in my office and it gets light from the ceiling only....has been doing great for a month and I have about 8" of new shoot to show for it. I water about once a week; just repotted it because it was tight to begin with.

David

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've been growing ZZ's for 3 or 4 years, and I've found that this is just part of their nature, they seem to be somewhat 'semi-deciduous' and they occasionally shed the upper part of a stem section, exactly as your plant shows, Marsha. (My bigger/older one has several stems that look just like yours.)

In my own experience, they seem to do this when 'maintaining' in low light....and don't seem to do it when grown in good light.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Nan,

Thanks so much for your advise...there's nothing more frustrating than having an "easy" plant that is not as easy as people say. (And not being able to figure out why!)
Since I've moved it into a South window, I'm hoping that I get enough light for it to stop shedding leaves and stems. If not, it's going to go live with a friend that has a sunroom.

Thanks again!

Marsha.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, isn't that the truth, though?! (Ü)

ZZ's were 'touted' as such a low light wonder, that's where I grew mine for quite some time (in low light) and that's what happened to mine, while others growing ZZ's didn't experience the same 'shedding'.
I discovered that they were growing theirs in better light, so I tried it, and haven't had much, if any, of that happen again.

Not to mention that low light to one person can have a totally different meaning than it does to another.

I hope it 'perks up for you....hopefully you'll see a big growth spurt soon.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

I agree with Nan about it doing better in lower light. Mine sits back from a north window and it's doing great. I only water mine about once per month during the summer and not even that often during the winter.

Blessings,
Awanda

Thumbnail by ACsAgapePlants
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Great plant Awanda!!!

I have 2 ZZ's, now 3 years old.

Tom

Hollywood, CA(Zone 9b)

I have had a ZZ for three years now and each spring it puts out 3-5 new shoots. I have mine in a green house where it gets bright light but no direct sun. I water it about once a week, but the humidity stays around 70%. I have killed these in the past with; too much sun, too much water, too cold.

Lonny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.