Broken Color Iris- Be Still My Heart!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I find that the broken color iris are doing well in my garden & catching alot of attention.

Bewilderbeast is a good example of the wild stripes I love!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Tiger Honey is increasing like a weed with only early morning sun. Stunning en mass.

Batik is died out the first tow times I planted it, but seems to do well. Third time a charm?

Anaconda Love shows promise...

The broken color iris seem to differ from bloom to bloom & year to year. Interesting to grow.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2007 11:22 AM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Mind if I add a few of my BCs to your thread, Wanda?

Here's an SDB, Gnu Generation

Thumbnail by laurief
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Are those Beared Iris ?

Whoops--Here is Gnu! Love to see what you are growing , Laurie!

These are bearded iris--mostly TB.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 6:18 PM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

IB, Blueberry Filly

Thumbnail by laurief

Love that blueberry color! Her is something a little different Gnu Rayz (IB)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

BB, Baboon Bottom

Thumbnail by laurief

Hot Dogs & Mustard plus several others were donated to my garden by a wonderful long-distance friend--- Merlie!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MTB, Kaleidoscope

Thumbnail by laurief
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. They too are my favorite along with alot of the bi colors. Thanks for the great pics!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MTB, Joseph's Coat

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

King Tush

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Humoresque

Thumbnail by laurief
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous!!! All of them. I also have a soft spot for the broken colored cultivars. I came real close to ordering Bewilderbeast tonight, then decided not to. Now I wish I would have. Sigh...more shopping to do. ;)

I've lost Batik once also. That was a couple years ago, so I just bought another one tonight hoping it was a fluke or something, and this one will survive.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I tried Batik two or three times and lost it each time. Never did see the doggone thing bloom.

Laurie

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I wonder what's up with it that makes it so whimpy?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I don't know. Blueberry Filly looks similar, and it's a reliable bloomer for me, but it barely replaces itself each year. I think I've been growing it for 4-5 yrs, and my clump has never had more than 2-3 rzs in it at one time.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I ordered Jumpin Jack Flash, and it looks similar to Batik also. I hope it's stronger.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

They are all beautiful! I especially like Gnu Rayz (IB), those colors are just yummy, and the first one posted too...wow, what beauties. Thanks for sharing!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wanda and Laurie, the two of you put up some great Broken Color irises! I love them too!! Breathtaking!

Batik grows well here in the southwest climate. Just one of those fussy growers I guess.................... could be it just doesn't like the cold and/or the wet.

OK if I add a few Wanda?

Gnus Flash

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Gnu Again

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Spiced Tiger. One of my favorites.

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Laurie, I love Joseph's Coat. I tried growing it once, but since MTB's really don't do well here....... it never bloomed, just slowly died. However, ...... I may have to try it again!! Is it a good grower for you? Or does it tend to be weak?

Violet Tiger. (Note: this is NOT my photo. I'm hoping mine will bloom this spring.)

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

This is the only one I have that looks like it may be in this category, I have no idea what the name is though. This is one I sent to you in a trade Wanda...do you remember?

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Spcied tiger is beautiful!!!

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

*Seedling. (One of it's parents is Tiger Honey.) Instead of the common white streaks, it has RED streaking.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 9:02 PM

Thumbnail by Margiempv
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is beautiful, how long does it take them to bloom from seed?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Janet, Once planted - they need to germinate. Once the seeds have germinated usually (on average) 2 years. but, they are well worth the wait. :-)

~Margie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

So it takes the seeds two years to germinate? I have never tried to do Iris, I have grown some of the old flag types from seed, but quite by mistake....lol they seeded in my yard from a neighbors and one summer I had flag iris...lol...but i have no idea when they were first seeded...so I wasn't sure. Do you just plant them in soil and wait and see if they come up or do you root them somehow and then plant the seeds....sorry, if I am asking too many questions...point me somewhere and I will read about it if that is easier...I am so impressed with what you do!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Margie,

Honorabile and Kaleidoscope are both vigorous here. Joseph's Coat was planted in '05 and gave me maiden bloom in '06, so it really hasn't had time to clump up yet. I expect it'll start clumping nicely this year since, like Kaleidoscope, it is a sport of Honorabile.

Kaleidoscope was a very happy surprise in my garden when it gave me maiden bloom last year. I planted it in '04 from a trade with a gal who sent it to me as a mislabeled SDB. I had it planted between two other SDBs and knew something was amiss when it started growing a much taller stalk after the other SDBs had already finished blooming. Fortunately, there really isn't any other iris that looks like Kaleidoscope, so it was an easy ID when it bloomed. Just so happens I'd been wanting to add Kaleidoscope to my collection for years, so I was ecstatic!

Laurie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Janet, I'm happy to answer your questions. That is the only way any of us learn.

Most iris seeds have a germination potential for up to 18 years. That is how they survive in the wild. Most of the TB seeds that I have sown will germinate within the first 3 months after sown, or the following spring (at about the same time (February and March here)). Over a 2 year period - on average - about 70 - 90% of the seeds will germinate. And that is usually because they are under "controlled conditions."

Now once they have germinated/sprouted - - it is then that they will usually take another 2 years to bloom. So - if everything goes well........you can see the seedling bloom for the first time in about 2 years and 3 months once the seed has been planted in the ground.

Click here to read this thread. It'll tell you more about planting and growing iris seeds.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/699803/

I hope you give it a try. :-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will read the other thread, thanks so much. I did want to ask this really quick question. I have a beautiful blue iris that gets the seed pods every year, but they never ripen, they usually are empty or rot before ripening...is this something I can prevent? It is a tall bearded Iris, "silverado" and it is beautiful and multiplies quite well for me...but no seed...I have never gotten seed from any of my iris...

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Laurie, sounds intriguing and promising. I'll follow any information you obtain on it, and then (chances are) buy it and try it again. "Joseph's Coat" indeed has a look all it's own! Thank you for posting that photo.

~Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Janet,

Seed pods without seeds are called "air-pods". Some, or possibly all of them, are due to bees - where the pollen didn't really take for one reason or the other. Maybe the bees pollinated it with pollen from something other than iris. ????

I've heard that seed pods will rot before ripening because they get too much rain. That's not a problem here in the desert.......... So I can't confirm that statement one way or the other. Maybe the best thing you can do - is give it better drainage by mixing sand into your soil. Or if 'Silverado' is the iris that you wish to get seeds from - - try potting it up (into a large pot), and in your area - use a good potting soil that WON"T hold moisture.

When you read that other thread, you'll also find 2 links on how to hybridize your irises to MAKE your own seeds. Occasionally bees WILL fully pollinate irises and you'll get seeds that way too.

I love sharing this info - - so don't be afraid to ask if you have more questions.

~Margie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Must be the bees, I have a kazillion! LOL I don't think they get too wet though, they drain really well, and actually are the nicest stand I have of any Iris. They have multiplied and bloom like crazy! Thanks again! When they start blooming and I can get a look into the working parts of the flowers I am sure I will have more questions...I will be sure to ask!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Janet,

One of the recommendations that is made to help avoid rotting of developing pods is to carefully remove the spathes and leaves from the stalk once the pod starts developing so that the stalk is completely smooth and naked aside from the pod itself. That way there is nothing on the stalk that can trap and hold moisture against it and cause it to rot.

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.