ZZ Plant

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

I was at the local garden store yesterday, and saw for the first time a ZZ Plant. I've heard they are easy to grow, and do well in a low-light environment. My spot at home for it would most likely be in an east-facing window.

Has anyone had any experience with ZZ Plants, and if so, can you tell me about them? It's really a nice plant, and if it will work in my home, I might get one.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

IMHO, it will LOVE that eastern exposure.
ZZ's do OK in lower light (though they grow even more slowly) but with some eastern light I think it would really thrive for you.
They're not fussy at all, the only thing they won't tolerate is overwatering.

I think you should go for it, and that you'll be *very happy* that you did, Candace!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

What is a ZZ plant? Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure, but it sounds like it must be sleeping.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

that's probably why they do best in lower light....Deb

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Zamioculcas zamiifolia
http://www.plant-care.com/zamioculcas-zamiifolia.html

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I have one to and it sits close to my lights. It seems to be easy to take care. I have it sitting in good drainage and water it but not alot when it is really dry.

I just ordered some seeds for the Zamia Furfuracea which is also called the Cardboard Palm which they consider to closely look like the ZZ plant.

:) Donna

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link, Nan....Deb

Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a houseplant must-have!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

It is, I've gotta say!
I have 2;)

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Check your local HD quick, mine had 6 inch pots full of them for only $10. What an unbelievable price.

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank everyone for your input on the ZZ plants! I will have to stop at the garden store this weekend and take another look at them. One of them may come home with me yet!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh now I really like that plant.Might have to pick one up too if I can find it this weekend.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I found one the other day...and it didn't have a name on it...plant ID forum...someone nice in DG administration came on and gave me a link...let me see if I can hyperlink???? she said to treat it like a shefflera and keep it on the dry side..mine is in an 10" bulb pan.
Zamioculcas zamiifolia [HYPERLINK@members.chello.at] I have one too.

I did something wrong...but there is the info she gave me
HYPERLINK@members.chello.at

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 8:14 PM

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

They are ALL OVER now in the past few years. SUPER easy to care for and a GREAT low light plant. water after they get dry. Mine throw up one or 2 new shoots a year.

Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.