Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather # II

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: I never get tired of the vaporizing coffee!
Rann: So happy things are going well for you.
Blooms: Great photo of the apricot. So pretty and delicate.
Se_eds: I remember seeing almond trees blooming in Calif. They were lovely.

The "cold front" came through here overnight and we had about and inch and a half of rain between midnight and 6am, which was great because we really, really needed the rain.
"Cold" is certainly relative tho, as it means the high today is 73 instead of 81! ;-) It is supposed to go into the upper 30s overnight the next few nights. Oooh! It's so hard for me to imagine the snow I'm seeing in everyone's pics when I've been out planting impatiens and gerberas.

Here's one now.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Ooo, that's great, Deb. Nice apricot, too, Blooms.

We could use some rain. It would be nice to get something like an inch and a half of gentle rain over two days before the "rainy" season is over, if it isn't over already.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on March 16, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
79 °F / 26 °C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 45 °F / 7 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016 hPa
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 8 out of 16

narcissus "Jetfire"

Thumbnail by Kelli
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Yup and it's hard to imagine planting impatiens and gerberas while watching the snowstorm raging outside!!!!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sorry Boojum. Now I feel guilty!
I'll try and blow some warm breezes your way!!
Deb

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been so long since we had rain the Doxies are barking at it....they forgot what it sounded like. LOL We are 6.8 on the dry scale and 8 is high deser! There is even some thunder!

Doing the rain dance of happiness.
Pati

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Saying "Yayyy" with Pati! :-)

(Zone 3b)

noon. 10*F above zero and sunny, too.
The flowers are fantastic and that some are getting much needed rain, snow for others, the weather is sure a mix of everything.
Hope this portrays some idea of springtime here.
Taken last Nov., looks the same today. Frozen solid Little Susitna River.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Sunny and warm here in Bucharest, though a little bit cold at night.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 5a)

How pretty Adina! :-) Can't get enough of these beautiful flowering trees :-)

Debi - I can't imagine growing gerberas outside - I just know them as cut flowers ;-) Wonderful color!! Enjoy the cooool front :-)

Yay Pati - for the rain :-)

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Our taste of spring is now long gone with temps in the low 20's, plenty of snow and gray overcast skies. We have another warm up forecast for next week with temps back up into the 50's. Eventually winter will give up and not come back. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Adina.......love the blooms!

kiska........The ice is gone from streams here. We have had some flooding in low areas with closed roads some people forced from their homes.

My little Panasonic digital camera quit a while back so I purchased another one today. It wasn't a good day for photography but I couldn't resist taking a few pics of our wintery day to try it out.

This one is Conneaut Creek.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

A local rural scene........

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

A cardinal at my feeder. There must have been at least 20 of them today. It's not very sharp but it's handheld, zoomed to the extreme and the light wasn't very good.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And finally, a small stream running through a pasture.

early_bloomer

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

E_B: All very nice! Looks a bit chilly, though. ;->

Of course, I may have spoken too soon about our not-so-cold front. Apparently, we have a "scattered frost" warning for tomorrow night. Poor daisies. Better figure out some way to protect 'em.
Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

e_b I don't exactly know what you consider a 'good day' for shooting is but the shots are Great!
I'll take overcast and snow to sunny and brown anytime......
That Cardinal shot really pops and it is framed perfectly in fact the all are. Nicely done!

Grey and cool here today...the clouds did break about 4 o'clock so at least the GH's heated up a bit.

Here's some of the little ones poking their heads up again...
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I think ( hope) we are all glad for the precipitation we have received - at least we should be. It is currently 28 degrees here in central Pa. I measured 10 inches of snow - but it should stop by midnight. It is a little breezy - meaning there are drifts out there. LOL.

The bird feeders were wild today with a multitude of black eyed juncos, titmouse, cardinals, blue jays, purple finches and goldfinches, and downy woodpeckers. The flock of juncos are new here - probably blown up from the south on the storm and headed north. They seemed very tame and cleaned out the bird seed feeder and worked over the suet cake. I will have to refill everything early tomorrow. And put out more peanuts for the blue jays.

Got to do the snowblower thing tomorrow. It is good practice for rotor tilling. (giggle)
Drive carefully, and stay safe, all.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We actually are full-up on the precipitation.
In fact we are a bit ahead finally.
We've been on flood watch once a week for the last month.
We could use a few weeks of just sun to get everything sorted out.

Glad the rest (well most of the rest) of you are getting some much needed rain though.

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Looks great, E_B - the cardinal is just as picturesque as can be. The landscape colors look like everywhere here; black, white and shades of gray...but, I can't complain, it grows on you after awhile. Sorry about the people having to leave homes w/flooding.
Ric, what a nice group of little green plants greeting a new season. We'll get there, too...
se_ds; you're going to have a ton of snow to move..that's quite a snowfall.
the Little Susitna after the thaw in a few weeks.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Marylyn_TX re your surprise that my location can be warmer than yours (at times in summer).........unhappily so am I. But at one time these fellows lived even here so Canada (even Saskatchewan) was pretty warm year round.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

This pic might be better. BTW his name is Scotty and he was discovered in Eastend, SK. He is only the third T-Rex found in Canada. 75% of his skeleton was recovered. Alberta's 2 were only 20 and 25% complete. Sue, found not far over the border (in the Dakota's), was over 90% complete.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2007 11:09 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I went with DH this morning at 7:00 and we just walked in the door a few minutes ago. :b

I plan on going back with him next Wednesday. The little museum still holds all of Scotty's fossilized remains and the tour operator said at this time of year you'd get a private tour (Eastend is in the middle of nowhere ;) and we would be able to see his skeleton in the lab.

Weather wise our returning Canada Geese have it a little better off up here (re Billyporter's pic ;) Well actually I guess the ladies do..... the courting gentlemen have colder feet.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2007 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Mind you even the mated fellows are finding they are walking on thin ice. The ladies are really giving them the cold shoulder (as it were).

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

five hour drive home and this is what we looked at through the windshield........I can hardly see/think (DH is already asleep)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Adina/Ric your views of spring are soooooooooo nice to see!

Early Bloomer those pics are fantastic!!! What is the name of your new camera? I absolutely love the picture of the horse and esp the one of Cardinal (we don't see them here).

BTW the geese are only spoiled at locations here where the wildlife federation has adopted a marsh.

Kiska another gorgeous mountain pic.

Currently:
30 °F / -1 °C
N/A
Humidity: 87%

Expected High 50 °F / 10 °C

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If you need Geese DMail me we can send you hundreds!!!!! LOL

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll happily send up a couple of these fellows! ;->
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOLOLOL they are coming on their own now thanks Ric! One of these days soon the sky will be black with their returning V's. I had to laugh when I saw those elevated roosts............so many cities spend the summer moving them out to the country. ;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I can send a few thousand also. - sunny, clear w/high scattered clouds 36°(F) slightly windy (if I can hear it in the trees when I'm inside it is "slightly windy"). Where the sky can be seen for the high clouds - it is BLU.

Hoping the earth dries enough in the raised beds to work with it tomorrow. Need to mix in some compost and start putting in some "cold weather" stuff. (like broccoli).

Have a good Saturday all, it is off to work I go.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'll take you up on it Debi! Ü (they are not what we normally see)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lilypon: The Chinese Gesse are actually very pretty and look like swans when they swim, in fact I believe one of their names is Swan Goose, but they aren't shy and have spent alot of this winter in our back garden. Very vocal! The Canada's tend to keep closer to the pond and don't attack people! :-D

Pretty nippy today. 42F and breezy. (I had to put on long pants and socks! 8-> )
Going to have to cover up/bring in alot of plants tonight as we're actually expecting a freeze. It had to happen.
Deb

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ah um maybe just send 2 Debi. We've got nasty tempered white Trumpeter Swans already in our Central park but to have some unusual ones I'd put up with a *couple* more (the young children won't be impressed however.........but the swans do a pretty good job of training them).

This message was edited Mar 17, 2007 11:03 AM

(Zone 3b)

9am, sunny, -5*.
So glad to hear that the geese are on their way north - they are a true sign of spring.
There have been dinosaur fossils discovered nearby here, too. The school kids take field trips to the "fossil beds" and come home w/fossils of ferns and other things.
More hockey today as the high school team finishes their season w/tournament in Anchorage.
DebinSC - sounds as if you'll be busy moving plants today..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: yes, I've squeezed everything that would fit into my teeny little greenhouse and have already been out piling up mulch and spreading sheets. Bringing plants inside is nowhere near as nice as putting them outside!

All of you still under ice and snow may snicker freely at this silly southerner! :)

Deb

(Zone 3b)

Not only snickering, but shaking my head in wonderment as to what a few thousand miles will do for an area:}
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh trust me we do. ;) Watching the threads where peeps complain about having to protect their plants for three days does make us chuckle a wee bit. Especially when we think about our spring and fall where we go through weeks and weeks of watching the thermometer and hauling in and out/covering/etc. And then it snows on July 3. :'( Okay I should make note that was a once in a lifetime occurrence.

Kiska when I posted the above I did think of the fossilized forest (of tropical trees) that was discovered on one of the Islands in the Arctic. I was wondering then what has been discovered in Alaska....which dinosaurs have they found there?

This message was edited Mar 17, 2007 1:11 PM

(Zone 3b)

noon; sunny; 13*F above zero -
Lilypon; after a quick google search, I see that there have been 8 types of dinosaurs here.
In 1991 the first Ankylosaur was found near Palmer, in the Talkeetna Range. I remember when that happened and what excitement it generated. There have been hadrosaurs there, also.
Up above the Brooks Range, along the banks of the Coleville River, there have been fossils of horned dinosaurs, hadrosaurs, thereapod and trodon.
http://www.vertpaleo.org/education/pasch.html
This is a link to some of the info.
Earlier this month - nothing's changed in the past few weeks.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's probably in the 50s out. Stiff breeze makes it a little chilly.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Looked at all the pics. Love all the geese shots.
It's rapidly on it's way to 80* so I gotta get back out there.
What happened to having a little SPRING - this is summer.
Quick shot of last night's sunset

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Shoot I posted the zoomed in close version.
Here's the wide view.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Blooms your views are fantastic, using one for a desktop (hope you don't mind) Wx here is sunny but coolish (great now I have to add that word to the dictionary). Oh well life is good. Or I will make it so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.