Seed Germination ?

Manning, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't use the paper towels, use the coffee filters instead. They work much better since the roots can't infiltrate them. I found that the seeds sprouted faster than the time listed on the package. Seeds that normally took 7-10 days were ready in 4 days instead. I planted the sprouts as soon as they had a root on them, but most already had a small leaf. I have never planted lavendar or poppies so I can't address your questions about those. Here's my advice, if it's a tiny seed, sow it directly in dirt in flats and transplant after they get about 2 inches high.

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

I have sown tiny seeds with the paper towel/baggie method, and instead of trying to get them off the paper towel when they germinate, just tear the paper towel up into bits and gently press the scraps onto well moistened growing medium. The roots go right through the paper towels and into the soil below. As long as you have contact between the paper towel and the soil, you are fine. I have done this with very tiny seeds like artemisias and digitalis.

Portland, OR

Thanks for both responses! I will use the coffee filters on everything but my tiniest seeds. I am hoping this technique will work especially for my lavender seeds. Last year I direct sowed them in multiple spots AND planted them in seed trays and my success rate was 0%. Wish me better luck this year!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

My father in law told me about the baggie method last year. So this year I tried it and it has worked fantastically. (I am not sure if that is a real word.) I use the cheapest sandwich bags I can find. A folded wet paper towel fits in perfectly. The very small seeds are a bit difficult, but it does enable you to plant only germinated seeds. I am lazy and don't want to waste space. The best things from this thread have been the clear plastic cups and the coffee filter. I am going to try these two very soon!! Thanks for all of the info guys.

Oh a quick question. To start the seeds you use seed starting mix. Can you reuse the same plastic cup to put in the potting soil mix? Although I do suppose that the cups are inexpensive enough that you can purchase more for the transplanting to potting soil. I guess I answered my own question!

Manning, FL(Zone 9a)

I transplanted my first plants that were done with the PotMaker pots made of newspaper. The roots had already started coming through the newspaper. I unfolded the bottom of the pots and planted them. To tell you the truth, the pots themselves were extremely flimsy from being moist for several weeks, they actually fell off of most of the plants without disturbing the root system one bit. I'm pleased with how the seedlings grew in the PotMaker pots. Will post some more pictures later today.

Pretoria, South Africa

After reading this thread, I decided to give it a go. I ended up trying all my seeds this way. My Brugs stated rooting within 2 weeks. The Achillea is said to take 1-3 months, and mine rooted within a week. The plants are already growing away. The same goes for my Potentilla. Three days for "Bells of Ireland" two weeks for Malva Zebrina, three days for Cranesbill, one day for Millet and the list continues. I even tried Heuchera and I am happy to say that my H."Firefly" were put into pots today. I cover the rooting seeds lightly with vermiculite, and so far I can only say I am extremely impressed! I will definitely never sow my seed any other way. I must add my Malva Zebrina actually grew it's roots through the coffee filter. I had to tear the filter to be able to transplant it. The one day there was no sign of any germination, and two days later the root was growing through the filter....

Another thing I tried that actually works well is to make drainage holes in plastic with a soldering iron. They are not expensive, and once heated they make lovely holes in no time. The upside is you don't have to wait for hubby to do it for you.
Make sure to work in a well ventilated place as the melting plastic smells awful and I don't think it is all that healthy to inhale.

Wichita Falls, TX

i just read you alls ideas on germinating the seed with either paper pots or in baggies. i'll be trying the baggies techniquie. i figure the techniques are for little seeds, though. what do you do if you want to use a pit from a plum, peach, etc.? can the pits be used to germinate a new plant? please forgive my ignorance, i am more of a brown thumb when it comes to gardening. plants just don't seem to live long at my house. so to save me some money from buying a plant at the local store, i thought i would try to grow my own. any ideas? any help will be appreciated.

Savannah, TN(Zone 7a)

Just thought I'd add this as another idea for "recycled" seed germinating pots. I use old styrofoam takeout boxes(they've been cleaned and washed) and empty TP and paper towel rolls cut into 1.5" tall pieces. I punch some drainage holes in the bottoms of the boxes and then load the whole thing up with potting soil...then plant my seeds. It's also easy to transplant them later into larger pots.

Thumbnail by wolflrv
Savannah, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's another shot of a full shelf of them in my greenhouse.

Thumbnail by wolflrv
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Last year we used styrofoam coffee cups to start our germinated daylily seeds in. They are much easier to put the holes into instead of plastic....you can use a pencil or skewer. They handle the moisture well, and are very easy to tear away from the plant when retransplanting either into pots or the ground. It does not disturb the roots at all. They are cheap, esp. at the dollar store. Family Dollar had them on sale also. Plus you can write the name of the cross on them with either ink or a sharpie. For the daylilies we ended up using the 20 oz because they grew so fast. We start them inside in Aug or Sept. and then repot them in 2-3 mos. It should work for anything.

After you tear the cup away from the plant you can tear the cups up into smaller peices for the bottom of larger containers, pots, to help with drainage. This was all my Mom's idea. She is very creative!

Texasgal77

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I have been using these styrofoam cups for about 5 years.Because of the ease of slipping the rooted seedling out of the cup,I have been reusing them again and again.Very rarely do I have to break the cup to get the seedling out.I have been using the same cups since I started.

I also use plastic knives as plant markers for the seeds.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Downscale_Babe, Plastic knives for plant markers are a good idea! I've also used old venetian blinds and even cut up margerine containers!

I like using the styrofoam cups!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.