Algae in jars

Manassas, VA(Zone 6b)

I have a number of plants - mainly spider plants and philodendrons - that live in jars of water on sunny windowsills, etc. I change the water in these jars periodically, but occasionally get some "enthusiastic" blooms of algae, turning the water and roots green. I have read that this is not detrimental to the plants, but I figure that they're probably getting little enough in the way of nutrients from the water, they probably don't need to be competing with the algae for what's there.

For what it's worth, most of the containers are food jars, drinking glasses, candle-holders, coffee mugs, and the like, usually with a handful of glass beads to provide some anchorage for the plants.

I suppose shielding the containers from sunlight would work, but I kind of like being able to see the roots, too. Will a dilution of hydrogen peroxide help to avoid these blooms, or do I just need to change the water more often?

Thanks!

-- Seamus

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

H2O2 will act as an oxidizing agent, breaking down and oxidizing algae, mold, fungi, and even the beneficial bacteria in the water. This will increase nitrogen availability and make additional oxygen available to the plant's roots.

You should still change the water frequently (twice weekly, at least) but H2O2 is a temporary quick-fix. Start by adding 1 oz/L of 3% solution (the drugstore stuff) and work your way up to 2 oz/L if there are no ill effects. I dilute a 35% product to 6% with deionized (distilled) water and use 1 oz/L to irrigate containerized plants with. 35% food-grade H2O2 has no stabilizers and is a better choice than the 3% over-the-counter solutions, but either will work well.

Al

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

PS: If in doubt - remove the plant(s) to a different jar & add the H2O2 to the old water to test results.

Al

North Augusta, ON

I have aquariums and I just toss a couple snail in my jars to deal with the algae, they don't seem to mind......I've even used creek snails, but mostly my big fancy gold ones....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.