Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

I got my Timber Press catalog yesterday, and the lead book is

The Encyclopedia of Grasses for Livable Landscapes
Rick Darke
ISBN: 0881928178
484 pp
1046 color photos
Pub Date: April 15, 2007

$59.95, but there are pre pub offers ranging from $37 delivered at a variety of online sites.

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

It arrived today! It's been raining most of the day, so the timing was perfect.

What a great book! Some of it, both text and photos, is partsworks (snatched from the last book), but there is so much more in the new one, it's incredible. It's more than I hoped for at first (2 hours) glance.

I haven't run all the stats, but the first thing I checked was how many Carex species are covered. 70 in the new book, compared to 49 in the old one. As expected, the new book includes many cultivars which have come into the market since 1999. The 'Encyclopedia' section is 240 pages compared to 169, with far more photos and larger pages. Photo count overall is 1000+ compared to 500+. Tons of new design photos.

So far, my only regret is there isn't much more care/maintenance information than in the old book. The general care section is virtually the same as before, and there still isn't much species-specific information, as in the Greenlee book.

My early opinion is very positive. It's definately worth $40, tax and delivery included. We have a cold snap arriving tonight, and I intend to stay warm and cruise this book more closely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.