2007Winter photos, from folks in warm climates Part 2

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That is it for today. Time to go put my pepperoni pizza in the oven.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Dale,
I LOVE your Croton.

Hey, it is STILL cold here in zone 8a TX. Supposed to start warming up over the next few days.
STILL can't plant outside YET!
So, thanks for letting us folks enjoy how it must be to live in zone 11....

Dale, If you ever get seeds of your Senna didymobotrya
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3254965

Can I beg you for some?
I like that much better than Cassia alata, which I plant every year.
Annual for me, but they do take off fast.

Keep those gorgeous photos coming.
Emma

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Do I have another? From last summer.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Dale

What's this plant? #1) http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3258722

and #2) http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3258665 the bottom left orange/red one????

I like your picture of curley speckels; are Florida nurseries just loaded with coleus? Can't you grow coleus year round in Florida??? If it wasn't for the hurricane threat that seems to make a bee line for the Florida coast, I wouldn't mind living there. Not that we don't get our share of hurricanes on the Texas coast, but let's face it, Florida has gotten more than their share the last few years.

Gail

We would be broke if we ever went to Florida plant shopping . . . the coleus alone would do me in . . . I wouldn't be able to eat for a month--maybe a good diet plan huh?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Gail,

Answer to queston one-Epidendrum ibaguense (E. radicans) Costa Rica to Columbia. Full sun, in the ground (terrestrial) orchid. Many hybrids yellows and reds and lavender etc. Makes a great cut flower. Should be more widely grown. You could grow it in a pot, but, would have to bring it in during frost. Very tolerant of cool and hot conditions. I have seen it used as a hedge plant in Coastal CA.

Answer #2-Nemesia Hybrid, a winter annual here, might not work for you. It does not like the heat, it is a good plant for cool areas, like the Left coast.

Coleus year round from here south, 50 miles north they are annual. They are marginal here, some make it, some don't. Plants that are mostly green tend to survive our 'winter', reds do fairly well also. You can just never tell what will survive until you try. If you go to my trade list your will see the survivors.

Dipt in whine does well here, but, I have to restart it because it will die if it gets too leggy/woody. Here is pic of mine from about two weeks ago.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

There is a home tour going on this week end in the Hyde Park area of town. I saw some nice containers.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I love modest sized palms.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We have a good variety of palms here.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We don't have many wildflowers, like Texas does. We have a few tho.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

modest size, eh???? (LOL)
They are wonderful!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Dale, it's been a few days since I've visited this thread! I am soooo drooling! Spring just can't get here fast enough for me.

LOL @ Patty & Gail! Just think, if you actually lived in Florida, you'd only have to buy one plant of each that you wanted! You wouldn't go hungry.....but the plants would survive for years!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I know Brinda. I just get green with envy every time I see all the pretty coleus the Florida people grow and to think they keep them year round. Just not fair to us that spend a fortune every season trying to control our addiction to coleus.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Patty....you're so right! But I've learned long ago that I can't control this coleus addiction! LOL And Dale sure doesn't help either!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I feel no guilt.

Coleus are always sneaking about the yard.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You should!!! I even see a pot of adenium sitting there with actual leaves on it!!

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

winter success story 2007! winter grown celosia germinated in october 2006 and this years spring germination putting out their third set of leaves!

Thumbnail by bulbhound
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

my crown jewell 15" and not going to stop at 16, finally a tall hybrid, i cant wait for the seed to develop.this was the only plant out of thirty or so that top 12"

Thumbnail by bulbhound
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey dale--what's the name of that red beauty in the left corner of your latest picture; I like that deep color. You do so love to tempt all of us coleus addicts, don't you--admit it--devil is your middle name!!!

Congrat's bulbhound; I wouldn't have expected celosia to bloom like that in October; wow. Nice greenhouse setup too. What's all the seedlings down below the celosia?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

BG, still no guilt. It's minature, red & white eye.

Bulbhound, What a nice space, Lexan has always been my favorite covering. I wish celosia would grow here, too cold in winter, to humid in summer. There is one a purple 'spear' flower type, but, gets way to tall for my beds.

P, I got it from NCFarms. I think it is called trailing Burgandy.

Last year's coleus-no survivors from this group.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

dale, I ordered a lot of expensive pelleted seed for 'Cramers' and 'Bombay' as they are field grown in Boerne, Texas for all the Central Grocer Markets throughout Texas....Do I have a chance with these?....I don't ever grow the kind like Bulbhound grows as I know our humidity is too high.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh I like that shorter, deep reddish maroon one right smack in the middle.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Gail are you talking about celosia? I don't know what 'Cramers' or 'Bombay' are. I have grown celosia/cockscomb (both the spikey type and the taller round headed one) here in the heat of summer from seed that I bought at Parks and have also bought transplants before too and they have done just fine all summer long. They even reseeded too.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

yes, it is gorgeous and here is the page...look at both the Bombay and Cramers...I like bombay best
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=58&subcategory=77

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pictures Dale!
Thanks for sharing!
I would love to know the name of the scented geranium with the silver beautifully cut leaves with a pinkish huge from your post of 6March 12.40am.
Annuals: Post #3251502 by dale_a_gardener

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

dale I just love your threads. I sure I wish I could grow good coleus, but I have monster snails and slugs that are over welming. I planted a couple last weekend and I even put sluggo out, and today they were eaten to the ground.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Because of dale, we are all wanting coleus more than anything!!!!
I thank you, too...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

OK....may not be the right place to post this, but these annuals came out of my garden today for a friend at church who has advanced lung cancer.....only snaps and stock are blooming right now....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

What is stocks?

Jesse

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

There are only 3 cuts of stock in there...in the middle...of bouquet....very fragrant cool weather annual....only takes 3 cuts in a vase....kind of like the intensity of a stargazer lily in being fragrant...most people grow the 10 week stock..which gets about 10" tall.......this one gets very tall.....wish I had grown more....
I looked in the plant files and all I saw were the shorter varieties...http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=Stock&Search=Search

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

uh oh....I didn't do something right....sorry...I thought it would hyperlink...just look up stock in a generalized search....

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, gail, you have a wonderful talent for arranging cut flowers. Those stocks are beautiful. You 'bout got your canna beds ready? I'll be digging soon for ya.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

jesse, http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1386/index.html

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I was out plant shopping today...

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Betty--LOVE those stocks...they are my favorite over-wintering anunual down here. The scent is just to die for, in my opinion--second only to rangoon creeper.
Debbie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

These don't look near as good in digital as they do in person..

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Love, diascia....I have some in that pretty apricot color.
As far as stocks go, next year I am going to grow an entire row in the garden of them.....everyone wants them....me most of all!!!! Never ever have I grown a flower I loved this much and the best fragrance!!!!! As I have given them away this year, people come back for more stock....can't wait until the fall!!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Gail, do you sow them in the fall in rows? I'm sowing some stocks this week. Do I need to wait until the fall?

Dale, your camera takes great shots. Keep them coming. I've went online at different sites and bought seeds just from studying your pictures. Taking lots of notes on your combinations. Keep the pictures coming. I have zero talent in flower combinations and need all of your visuals.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't answer for you in zone 8a. I know that the only way i can grow stock is to start the seeds Oct. 1, put them in the ground by the middle or 3rd week of November and then pray that they get big enough to withstand our usually first freeze the end of January or in February. We had some really cold nights this year....down to 28 on two occasions, but they have been gorgeous....I am too tired tonight (I planted with my brother the entire vegetable garden today....can't move I am so sore)
You can grow stock in your yard anywhere...I just choose to do a lot of growing down in the garden...showing you a pic taken a couple of weeks ago......
Please dmail me to remind you of what I like to grow in the fall in the way of cutting flowers and somewhat of what I like to grow for summer, including fillers....my bells of Ireland are just starting to be ready....a little late .....
this pic was the night after a storm of 60 mph wind for only about 30 minutes and most things survived...couldn't believe it!!!.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Betty--one thing I've noticed with the stocks is they must have some cold snaps (excuse the pun) in order to bloom. Really warm winters and they won't bloom. I usually start mine in November. Are you a commercial grower too? I don't do stocks commercially, just for my own pleasure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.