Christmas Cactus ... is it sick?

Dallas, TX

can anyone help my friend?

It been a bundle of blooms this year with different colors that I have never seen before. The problem is that these wilted extensions are falling out of the soil. It seems like the roots have died. I have been avoiding watering it just in case it is root rot. I was looking at this plant just now, and it looks doomed. I feel like I am losing a baby.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture?

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Without a photo it's hard to tell, but I can tell you that mine does something similar every couple of years. After blooming, whole stems get wrinkled and wilty looking, and then just fall off. They are easily rooted, even though they look dry. A couple of months later, the plant (the original, not the cuttings) is usually full of new growth.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

that is exactly what some of my stems are doing even tho they have big open blooms on them....I've been heartsick...good to know there is still hope...thank you....Deb

Dallas, TX

too bas he didnt take a picture. ...He says his son came home and told him it had a fungus...he repotted in some new soil amd gave it some sort of harmone... So we will see. His son is botanist of some sort. Thanks guys

Sylvia

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I strongly doubt it's a fungus, as the 'wilting' you described is a pretty common problem with the Schlumbergeras and Rhipsalidopsis, especially after blooming.

It's definitely a sign of root stress (I find mine do this often, too, especially the Rhipsalidopsis/Easter Cactus! I can't seem to get the watering 'down pat'!)and is most likely a watering-related issue.

The 'pros' say to pull on the wilted sections, and if the roots have rotted, the plant may pull out of the pot easily. At that point you'd want to try to root some of the healthier sections.
If the roots *haven't* rotted, (I hope not!) try putting the plant in a shady area and cut back on the water, as they're attempting to 'take a rest' right now.

You might want to try watering from the bottom (put the plant in a saucer of water and let it soak up what it needs) rather than from the top.

Marysville, WA(Zone 8a)

I agree with Nan that it's root stress. The soil is probably compacted, which means that it's very, very easy to over water. With bad soil soil you have to be absolutely perfect on your timing for watering, you get a tiny window.
I don't think watering from the bottom will make a difference though. If you do try that, make sure that the plant never sits in water (even a little bit) for more than a short time. That would guarantee root rot.
First I think you should get those blooms all off. If they plant is in danger, they'r just adding a stressfull load to it. Then try watering with a little hydrogen peroxide in your water, maybe 1/4 cup/gallon. It works miracles with root rots, and you can't over water with it as long as you don't let the plant sit in a pool of water. Overwatering is really a lack of oxygen to the roots. The hydrogen peroxide gives that oxygen back even in a wet environment.
If it was mine, I would probably risk repotting it now into a higher quality, free draining mix. Maybe add a little extra perlite or pumice to increase drainage of your new mix.
Remember that Schlumbergeras are epiphytes, and they live clinging to trees like orchids, not down in heavy wet soil. They need lots of air to their roots. :^)
- Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.