Germination % of Wintersown containers

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Some Clematis seeds can take more than 1 season to germinate. One needs a lot of patience when growing them from seed. I know of people who have grown them very successfully from seed, but I prefer to purchase them from reputable Clematis Internet sites or from the big box stores as plants. Even then, I repot the vines into 1 gallon containers with well amended soil and fertilize until their roots peek out from the bottom of the container. Then you know that they are large enough to safely plant in your garden. If you are interested in growing these gorgeous vines, hop over to the Clematis Forum where your questions will be answered in full detail.

Susan51: Once my seeds have germinated, I enlarge the vent holes on the shoulders of the container and continue to do so as the seedlings grow larger. Once the temperatures really heat up (like a couple of days ago), then I pull back the container's top and keep them pried open with a plastic utensil or straws. Tender sprouts can get "cooked" quickly so it's important to keep their soil damp. I've even moved some of my shade loving perennials to a more protected area.

Cordeledawg: Which sprouts have you already planted out? I think we need a separate thread for this. Would you mind starting it? Thanks! :~)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I think i'm up to about 63% germinated. only 26 with no seedlings.

most are milk weed and those bean vines.

I did sow 3 more containers... 1 was a flat where i have 5 types of seeds, and i did 2 more of sunflowers.

OH, i found some Red Poppy seeds i will sow and my Bird & Butterfly mix I'm gonna put in milk jugs then do the HOS method.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is some pics from my WSing thats sprouting :o) I have lots more than this but can't take pics of them all.

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

These were started in the house.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Here's the tomatos, I sure hope my dad is planning on putting in a garden. lol

Oh these are in the house too.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Connie, your dad will be eating lots of BLT's! Now that really makes me hungry. I think I'll plant some tomatoe seeds! Good looking sprouts!

Deborah♥

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.