MO DG RU - April 28th

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

EVA MAY----- My wife is suppose to be off to Joplin about 7AM. If you want i will leave right away from there and can help you with the set up and whatever else you need help with. I would get there around 8 or 8:15.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Oz, you will probably beat me there. I should make it around 8:30 or so depending on how quickly we are able to get going.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

h! everyone. Just glad it's Friday but the heck with this silly weather.....When will this weather straighten up some?? I'm trying to arrange going to the Iowa Roundup( Saturday May 5) since I will be busy with prom activities on the Saturday of our Missouri Roundup. Sure sorry I can't make this one. It's a fun day. There will be more wonderful plants there again to share I'm sure.
Leaflady use your good common sense about opening up your home to a few you have'nt meet. I want you and everyone to be safe. Crazy times we are living in now. I know your chicken is safe to eat though!! Sounds pretty good right about now too.......
Ozarkian my wife wants some hostas but don't know which ones to get her. They all just look green to me!! ha ha

Cuckoo

LOL. There are blues, green, and varigated hostas.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

H! there pepper. I just need to get her some when it warms up but can't tell the good ones from the others. Guess the price will dictate my choices!!
Are you ready for the MO. Roundup? You will have lots of plants to bring home I'm sure.

Cuckoo

And plants to take!! I am so ready for it!! It will be fun especially since I know how to get there now. LOL.

With the hosta, just look for some that have varigation on them and I think she will be happy. Can't go wrong with those.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

pepper Do they all flower? Are they all white or cream colored blooms? Do they spread over time to fill spots in?
Cuckoo

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, Cuckoo, hostas do spread. But don't get in a big hurry. The saying for hosta is 1st year they sleep, 2nd year they creep, 3rd year they leap. If you want to fill in spaces in a hurry just buy a couple really big ones and then when they begin to spread they will cover a larger area. I can probably get you some starts later in the year. Do you ever go to the Independence/Liberty area? I go see my DD up there sometimes and maybe we could meet and I'll bring some starts to you.

Oz, I would really appreciate any help you can give. Pepper is going to stop by the house and get the big grill unless we have to change plans.

KathyJo, are the grapes you mentioned seedless? Are they good juice grapes, table grapes, ?????. All I have is some seeded Concord. They make wonderful juice. I don't know if we will have a crop this year or not.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Cuckoo----- I do not know how often you get into Kansas City but there is a Nursery in there called Blue Ridge Road Nursery. I can think of no better place to go and look at a lot of varieties. Either that are you can go to this site.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

She can spend hours and hours looking at hosta in there. If she finds some she likes let me know and if there is something I know sbout that plant I can tell you before you buy it.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Leaflady, These are wine grapes. Although , I tasted the chardonelles and they taste wonderful. Chardonelles are a white grape.

Nortons are also a purple wine grape.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

KathyJo, are they seedless or seeded? I think I would like some of each of them if possible. I love grapes, especially the seedless ones. So does little Skyler, but he thinks grapes should only be white. LOL. He doesn't eat grapes here because Grampa & Grandma started buying the black ones years ago. He says they aren't really grapes.

I've been to Blue Ridge Nurseries. It is wonderful. At the time I thought they were a bit pricey but now know you are paying for quality. But they are often out of my budget unless I have planned it in.

Darcy is up and about in the house a lot now. I've started introducing dry foods back into her diet. I mix it into the canned foods but she tries to lick it off. She is now on 1/2 a generic Midol twice a day and 1/4 of a muscle relaxer twice a day. That left leg kicks uncontrollably at times. She now has a sore place coming up on that underside which I wonder about. I could be from the leg rubbing on it when it kicks or something trying to come out from the inside. I first noticed it yesterday. She kept licking at it and making it worse so I pour CamphoPheique on it. That stopped the irratated feeling and the licking.

I need to go let the birds out of the building. We have a light covering of snow on the yarden but nothing out in the fields. Seems strange. The ducks and geese will love it. The chickens and pigeons on the other hand will probably spend the day inside the building. It's only 39* outside right now.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Leaflady, I think they have seeds. Not sure though.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

h! there KathyJo and hope you are doing fine. I grow the old fashioned concord grapes and have also planted a few reliance eating grapes. We juice and can the concord juice to drink and to make rich delicious grape jelly. There are so many kinds of grapes out there to try. My mother-in-law makes a concord grape pie that is delicious! Sounds weird but it is very good.
Cuckoo

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have heard of grape pie.. I have never tried it , but also heard that it is really good. Someone gave me a start of some concords last year..A couple of the vines were peeping out before this blasted cold spell. I sure hope they make a comeback.

I had a nice vine of concords at the house we lived in before we moved to the country.

What are the reliance like?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

KathyJo, if yours didn't make it let me know & I'll see if I can find a rooted whip of Concords for you.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I can vouch for Blue Ridge nursery on Blue Ridge road.
That place is like Hosta heaven. I've been there once a couple weeks ago and the hostas for sale were still covered up (I hope they were still covered up last weekend).
Even if the cold air did get to them they will look good later.
The elderly married couple that own it were working and getting ready, anyway thats what this other worker there told me.
I like stopping at that place even if I don't buy anything.
Its on the way to my Mom's house so I am always stopping in there.

I've been eyeing their Japanese Maple 'Bloodgood' that they claim is the real deal - grafted not grown from seed, and more expensive too, but worth it if it stays red all year.
Will

shortleaf---- I have one of those Tri Colored Beech like he has on the front of the lot. I think it is the only one in the Lake of the Ozarks area.

I have been keeping an eye on the weather for next week and so far they are calling for storms and rain all next week. Hopefully it will stop by Saturday but so far it doesn't look like it. It could change and be sunny by then though knowing how the weather is. Crossing fingers and hoping!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh boy never know it will be happen again!...

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a few extra banana offsets I am planning to bring if anyone's interested.

I also planning to bring a bunch of Bromeliad offsets. If anyone is looking for specific Bromeliads please have a look at our list here http://geocities.com/ne0b/plant_list.htm
...and dmail me with your wishes. My list is not up to date but reasonably complete. We usually have plenty of offsets to share.

Dave.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

If the weather forecasts bad weather for the RU date I'll put my address on this thread and everyone can mapquest it. We should make the decision Thursday night.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I was concerned about getting to your house leaflady as I have never been there. Whenever I go somewhere new I have hubby drive. He was a UPS driver for many years. I however am what you call "directionally challenged". I would probably have trouble directing you across the street..... LOL

Wow Dave, I would love bannannas or bromiliads as I have neither. I did try to get the hardy bannanna for Rockrun and had it in a pot outside with the other things I was bringing to the roundup but that last cold snap zapped it I think. So much for being cold hardy!

I found quite the prize the other day. It is a shallow fiberglass pool about 10 inches deep with undulating edges. At the longest point it is about 8 ft. one way and 5 ft. the other way. I found a good spot for it but had to dig up some old fashioned peonies. Not sure what color they are but I think they are either pink or white. I will have a couple of pots of those to bring if anyone wants them. They are from a clump that was originally started by my MIL about 40 years ago.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

TT, if we move the RU it would be best to mapquest it. I'll have signs out at the highway if we do this. So far tho the weather reports look good for the park.

That pool sounds great. Where did you find it? I couldn't have something like that here because the ducks and geese would take it over.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Do not put your home address in this thread just D-mail.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh, boy, lots of time spent dmailing but probably a good idea. Thanks for thinking of my best interests. I appreciate it. I tend to be too trusting and a bit of a PollyAnna.

So far no rain or anything from Thursday on. YIPEE!!! LOL.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Is anyone interested in wild ginger or ajuga with bronze leaves?

I also have a type of tall grass, I think may be a clumping bamboo.. It gets really tall, maybe even 15 feet. I don't want to dig unless I'm sure someone wants some.

anyone for cold stratified pecans seeds? seckel pear scion wood?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I would love the bamboo if you have any to spare. I have a very tall varigated plant that I believe is called giant reed grass. I have tried to get starts of it to transplant other places a few times but they have never taken.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I will dig you some of the bamboo. is the reed grass for ponds? That sounds interesting.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a clump of the giant reed grass just planted in a raised bed in the garden. I am so glad you mentioned that it could be a pond plant. I did a search for giant reed grass and I think what I have is Arundo donax 'Variegata'. I could not figure out how to get a direct link to anything but if you do a web search you will find a lot of pictures. I can try to dig a small peice to see if you have any better luck getting it to transplant if you would like.

I found my fiberglass pool quite by accident. Hubby and I took a different route home one day and saw it leaning against a shed in someone's yard. It looked like it had been there for a while. I went back a week or so later and asked the owner if they would be willing to part with it. She told me that she would sell it for $35.00. SOLD! I later found some that were very similar on the Texas Waterlilies site and they wanted several hundred dollars for them.

Dave, I just went to your web site. It is just wonderful! Thank you for the pics and the instructions on building a propagation box.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

It is Thursday evening and raining again. Are we still going to go to the park??

Yes, as far as I know we are. Rain supposed to be gone soon. No rain for tomorrow, still gonna be nice out.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pepper!

No problem!!

Hi guys!! Had a great time meeting some of you and seeing those of you who made it last time again. Those of you who didn't make it we really missed you. You missed out on some good food and fun. And great plants too!!!

Here are a few pics from today. not very good since it was pretty dark inside the shelter but I lightened them up a bit so you could see everyone's faces.

From left to right: shortleaf aka Will, digital_dave aka Dave, and lineace aka Marilyn.

Thumbnail by pepper23

A bunch of hungry people around the grill. Dave is taking pictures, my grandma Pat is in the red shirt, Dave's wife is off to the right and Bill and Kathy are manning the grill. Poor Bill was put to work today going to Wal*Mart to get supplies that we forgot. He was a great sport about it though!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Here are EvaMae aka leaflady and Ann aka tetely_tuna handing out door prizes.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Here is grinning Marilyn. The rest of you were harder to get so I hope d_d got you.

Thumbnail by pepper23
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks. It was nice meeting all of you, I had a great time.
I have potted and watered everything I got.
Thanks again, Will

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a wonderful time! Thanks for all the wonderful plants! I came home and kept my shovel busy for awhile.. I still have much to do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.