A few glad I just purchased...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, you all inspired me to go search for some nice glads:) Today I brought home 5 Nova Lux-yellow, 5 Plum Tart and 10 Velvet Eyes which are sort of purple with a reddish throat. They are from a supplier named Langeveld. I saw some of the glads I bought from a Brent and Becky clearance sale starting to sprout--Theresa is what they are called, sort of orange colored.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

They should make a statement together dmac!

Don't forget the pics!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks:) I'm looking at the glads 4paws is offering in the Classified Ads area too. I had kind of forgotten how great glads are and hadn't planted any for a few years. I do have a few die hards that reappear each summer with no help from me. One is solid red and I think the other is White Prosperity. One actually pushed up through a giant bearded iris rhizome! Made a big hole in it:LOL:

My goal is to take photos this year...I'm getting a new camera and playing!

A good digi camera is a must! I spend half my time playing with mine, it makes gardening so much more enjoyable.

When you are out looking at flowers you take more notice of them when you take pics, and see many bugs and butterflies you wouldn't otherwise notice. Life is enriched manyfold!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I just wanted to post the link to 4paws classified ad.

I am hoping to encourage somemore lookers and perhaps buyers for her. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/704971/

Susan
=^..^=

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Already did:) Good cause too:)

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Jerry Baker is a funny man. Nearly everything he recommends has some good basis to it, but whether it actually does anything in the end is sometimes a measured "yes" (to the good) and smetimes "it can't hurt, and would only do good if it does anything at all".

Take the mouthwash, for instance. We apparently need to use it at full strength to kill germs, bacteria, fungi, whatever. But lets calculate how that translates in in his bulb mix: 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons of water. To make this easy to follow, this is how I do it:

1 tsp = 1/3 Tablespoon
1Tbsp = 1/16 cup
1 cup = 1/4 quart
1qt = 1/4 gallon
1g = 1/2 of 2 gallons

(1/3 x 1/16 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/2) = 1/1536
or 1 divided by (3x16x4x4x2) = .000651 = the concentration of the mouthwash in 2 gallons of water.

Now, compared to your 100% potent mouthwash that you need, do you really think .0651% is going to do anything? True, you are soaking the bulbs for an hour or so, so:
You are supposed to slosh the mouthwash in you mouth for a minute, but you soak bulbs for 1 hour (60 minutes) or more. So lets be absurd, and just say that you could reduce the amount 60 times, and get the same results. (Ridiculous, I know.)
100% divided by 60 = 1.67%
.0651% divided by 1.67% = .039 = approx. 1/25

Even with such an absurdly generous premise, that would still be only 1/25 of the concentration of your mouthwash. Yup, this, in my opinion, goes in the "can't hurt, but doesn't do anything" category.

The only thing that I see that is truely bad (again, in my opinion) is that Mr. Baker uses way too much soap in his elixirs that are repeatedly applied. Soap does good things, but it also can break down the natural cuticles of plants. These are the waxy coatings on plant surfaces that prevent dessication. All plants have these protecting layers, and some plants are extremely susceptible to soap. Those would be the ones where insecticidal soap is prohibited. This is why it is always recommended to use a mild soap with plant materials, like Palmolive or Ivory, and never a strong soap, like Dawn or detergents.

FYI, Insecticidal soaps can work in two ways: 1) insects have these cuticle layers too, and can dessicate, 2)soap can clog breathing holes.

Jerry Baker is a funny man.
I could go on and on, but, I think it's time to get off my high horse.
Sorry 'bout that.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have one or two of his books and some of those "common" household items are things I'll never have at my house. I made a shopping list one day because I was determined to try to make up one or two of those concoctions and I had quite a list. I'll never have chewing tobacco in my house, no one uses that stuff. I just decided to try to buy organic products and use sparingly. I'm not a big sprayer type gardener, I pretty much just let things go and water it. I don't mind sharing with a bug or two. Well, Japanese beetles get on my nerves:LOL:

Nipomo, CA(Zone 8a)

I am glad for to her your opinion. Thanks for sharing it. I have tried one or two of his tonics,a few years ago I tried his tonic for speeding up composting. That seemed to work well, however, I had never composted before so I wouldn't know otherwise.
I tried the above bulb bath. Don't know yet. I like his common sense way of writing. He writes like a regular guy, not some high mighty published master gardener. I like that I can understand what he is explaining.
I did hose down my lawn with soap and water, last week, with the thought of doing some dethatching.
My dh grandfather was a lifetime farmer and he used the soap and water thing to help make fert. absorb better. Anywho....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I hope you don't think that I was dismissing all of the tonics/treatments in the books! =) I wasn't, I still have the books and for the most part I use the homemade soap spray for aphids and such. Some of the other ones with long ingredient lists just seem more involved than what I want to do. Of course, in the past I've had pretty inexpensive plants in the pots and small flower bed and wasn't so precious about them, since finding Dave's, my tastes have grown and some of the plants I have are pricier and harder to replace so I may still go out and buy the stuff for a tonic or two.

The soap and water treatment really is great for helping soil stop the repelling water thing that sometimes happens when it gets to dry:) I like plain talk writing as well, much more approachable and just getting the information across. Please post when you decide how the bulb bath worked or if you try any other tonics/treatments, it would be very interesting to know what ones have proven to be useful!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I am so dissappointed. Almost every one of my packaged glads were misnamed and I don't think it was an accident!! These companies don't care and expect us to have forgotten what we planted so it doesn't matter that now I have a bunch of unknowns in my garden. I am not griping about what they look like because they are nice but they are not the ones I chose and paid for!

So far Bambino is the only one that appears to be correct....

Thumbnail by pardalinum

This is supposed to be Laguna but I had to rename it Laguna NOT! It is a chartreuse green but doesn't have the pink edge...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

This one and a tall solid red one were in the package labeled Schu.

Thumbnail by pardalinum

This was supposed to be Belinda, a red and white glad....

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That is really terrible! If I read the package correctly in the early photos, they are supposedly from a reputable bulb company right? I think I saw those same packages in one of the higher end nurseries in our area. Do you think contacting them and letting them know about the problem would be of any benefit? It might just lead to more frustration....
They are beautiful but Noids for the moment.

Two companies are involved-- "Simple Pleasures" and "Van Bloem". I will let the garden center that I purchased them from know. I purchased open stock of Frilled Coral Lace and it is true to name.

OH, here is Frilled Coral Lace...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Dirty little scammers, they're all doing it! I have Flevo Bambino too, it is very pretty. Got mine from Great Western Gladiolus here who grow some, buy in others from different places. I listed it as a substitute, I ordered 5 each of 3 different expensive US glads at £0.90 each plus Violetta which was cheaper and looks correct.

The subs. were actually cheaper, they asked for a limited cheque so they could make it out to the correct amount if they couldn't get some varieties. They cashed the cheque soon after they got it for the full amount so I assumed all was well, but no, the order came to around £18.50 with postage, actual cost was £5.10 less! No refund, no credit note, the glads were shoved in a re-used padded envelope with the original order I wrote out, that was it! On top of that I sent stamps which should give me a second catalogue in August including species.....we shall see!

Theone expensive variety I did get ws Chartreuse Ruffles which should have a bright pink-purple picotee edge, this is it...

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Wow! I guess I have nothing to complain about. At least I got something for my money! Chartreuse Ruffles Not is very pretty anyway. Still waiting for "Maggie" to bloom, it got a late planting. Oh yeah, I bought all those glads but of course didn't have room for all of them so ended up giving some away!

Nearly all of my cheap supermarket glads are orange-red shades, a couple just opening look white. They do make a splash though, I quite like them.

This one has some white splashes on it,

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Frilled Coral Lace is gorgeous! Gotta find that one one day:)

The flowers on Chartreuse Ruffles are tight and small, it is pretty but I DID want the picotee! I wonder if it will have it next year...?????

Gosh, neither did I have room for mine but I put them in pots! I left most of them in the neighbour's sunny greenhouse as it has been very cold and wet, now dry and warm. I took the first one to flower out just before the onslaught of rain, then put it back, it was getting battered!

I have Black Jack to come, it's just making some spikes for which I am thankful, last time I bought some they did nothing then rotted.

This is my Bambino, some are brighter.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I do like Bambino. Maggie is supposed to be similar. Black Jack is one of my favorites. I no longer have it. It was out in the winter wet area of my garden with the poor lilies glug glug glug. Now I am digging everything out there and starting over with wet tolerant plants.

My cheapies will be staying in the ground, the rest I 'think' I will lift from the pots. Can't wait to see Black Jack, I have been very pleased with the others I have, they're all interesting.

This is Nori...

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Monica, I had one flowering Nova Lux!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Parda, How frustrating when you don't get what you ordered. I feel the same way, i.e. I'd like to get what I picked out even if I enjoy the blooms from the ones I got instead. I've had pretty good luck this year (one mix-up from a Dahlia supplier, but they were quite gracious about providing a replacement for next season). When you purchase seeds and bulbs you are really at the mercy of the supplier because there is no way to tell what you are getting until months later.

Horsens, Denmark

Had the same problem with “false” glad. This one turn up to be White prosperity, that I love, but I bought about 36 bulbs of it.
Now I have 42 :o) or is it :o( ?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3275968

nova lux and Callianthus are blooming as well (love the sent of callianthus, it is almost as jasmine). no signs that the other glads are wanting to bloom (four different ones) I do hope they hurry up before autumn sets in.

Oh wow Janet!!! Is it really blooming? But there were only baby bulbs I send weren’t they? So glad the glad is blooming :o))
I like the bright yellow colour it has
Look at Papilio, really in love with this one.

Thumbnail by zest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.