How to transplant JM's from container to bed?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

We did it!!!!

We quickly learned it was going to be a difficult job.

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

The tree resisting...

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Out of the pot at last...

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Final destination is in sight....

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

And in it's new home next to the pond. I hope he is happy there and was not too traumatized during the move.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

The companion JP found a new home in our future fern and azalea garden with a nice view of the fish pond.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks again to everyone offering advice and encouragement. There's nothing like DG and the friendly people who are members here.

Debra

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for posting photos of the move...It should give pause to anyone who thinks moving a larger JM even a squat dissectum is easy...Two things that has nothing to do with JM's but your waterfall is much like mine flagstone I assume. #1 there are differnt types of flagsone ( limestone) and they differ greatly hopefully you bought or got it from a reliable scourse cause I went the cheap route the first time and it crumbled in about two yeas to a cracked mess ...my new stuff is first rate but pricey. #2 I don't know how your pond is layed out but I can almost gurantee you alot of the water will go off to the sides off your waterfall ...I personally use clear sylicone glue/caulk safe for fish tanks to keep the water flowing straight I build it up quite a ways and put flagstone over the top to cover it after it dries...it needs to be replaced every year or two up here but works pretty well some still goes sideways under it but not much ...now if your pump is like a fire truck you may not have this problem. ;>)..David

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Iit's lovely fleurs. What a rootball. I hadn't realized that the containers were quite that big. You are really going to enjoy it and I wouldn't worry about the trees. JM's are really tough.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

David,

Your idea of using the clear silicone is great. We used a black foam in a can that expands 3x it's volume between the stones to prevent leaks. It's designed for ponds but clear would be much better. The pump pushes the water through the falls with more pressure than I expected. Now I understand why the pond supply store owner insisted we needed the water weir when I thought we could just hide the 1 1/2" tubing. Without the weir the water has the potential to almost overshoot the whole pond! We are still 'tweaking' but the weir has a piece of liner material attached to the front that allows for directing the water. Otherwise, we would definitely have water going off both sides. There is a photo of the water coming out of the falls at the link a few posts above. How do I know if I have good flagstone or not? Yikes! I hope we don't have to replace it in 2 years.

Doss, the pots are huge, very thick and incredibly heavy! The trees were root bound and did not want to come out. They had to cut off the roots at the point they were growing into the gravel at the bottom of the pot for drainage. We had planned to trim the roots to promote growth anyway so, hopefully, it didn't harm them. I'm amazed only a few very small branches were broken.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 3:13 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, glad that you got them in with such minor damage. They are such beautiful trees. What is going to replace them?

Why are you root pruning them???

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

There is unfortunatly really no way to tell on flagstone that I know of...but your winters are mild so you should be alright...I went actually to a quarry and hand picked mine the first time IT WAS REALLY CHEAP ...in more than one way I found out ;>)...it was a chore replacing it that much i can tell you and finding a place to dump the cruddy stuff...it was sort of layered like yours which gives me pause ...thats how it cracked apart in the layers they seperated and crunbled all over...but I think the cold winters and freezing waters had alot top do with it ...in your area I wouldn't worry to much... so I'd just put the half empty thought behind ya ...but if it eventually happens let me know I'd be curious ...but as I said ...in your area I don't think you will have a problem either way ...David

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I totally understand what work that was. My little Crimson Queen was a lot of work to dig out, it did NOT want to come up, I can tell you. The good news is that it seems happy in its new pot, for the time being, and its next move will be its last into a permanent and prominent position.

I can't wait to see how that bed matures as you get it planted out.

Laura

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Debra, I'm so glad you started this thread. I have a big JM to move from planter to ground as soon as I get my layout figured out, and I know your experience will help make it easier. Congrats on getting yours both DONE!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Doss, a nurseryman suggested scoring and pruning the root ball assuming it was root bound. After all the trimming just to get it out of the pot, I was afraid to do anything more so planted as is.

David, I wonder if there is any kind of safe, clear sealer that could be brushed on the tops of the flagstone to help protect it?

Laura, good luck with your Crimson Queen. They are such pretty trees. What size pot is it in now?

Janet, just how 'big'???? I don't envy you and your upcoming challenge!

It may be a couple of weeks before we can do any serious work on the leaks. DH is going out of town to turkey hunt this weekend so it will be the following weekend before he has much time to devote to it. That gives me time to contemplate my planting strategy....also need to get an electrician out to run a switch to the skimmer end of the pond (the outlets are on the wall behind the waterfall now) so we can turn power off/on without climbing behind the pond.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Have you thought about timers? Ours have been on timers forever.

"Big" is 15-gal. root ball, and about 7 ft tall "Bloodgood" Just leafing out now, and I wish I had the spot ready for it. Unfortunately, I still haven't got layout figured out, and I refuse to plant another tree (since I just cut down 2 REALLY big ones--weeping willow & euc) until I'm absolutely positive where I want it!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Debra.......nice job! Your place is really lovely and I am so looking forward to seeing it in person.
carol

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I'll post a photo in a new thread so as not to take yours off topic.

Laura

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Carol. Looking forward to having you.

Laura, following you to the other thread....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.