My cure for Plantitis

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I was having a bad case of Plantitis yesterday and the only way to cure it was to get a dose of Plants. So I went to 3 different places but Walmart was the only place that had anything new. So here is what I got. The first one is called a Calathea or Peacock Plant.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I do not know what the name of this new plant is but I bought it for my DH who likes rare and unusual plants.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a closeup of what the plant is growing out of. Could this be an avocado plant?

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This last one is one of my favorites, a Bird's Nest Fern. I had one for a long time and it sort of got forgotten when we moved last year and it died. Oh, I did get this one from Lowe's, not Walmart.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I think the Calathea that I listed above is Calathea Medallion, also known as Calathea roseo picta. What do you all think?

Jesse

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

nothing except they are hard to grow....preferring cooler indoor weather than we have

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I think it could be avocado, although when I grew one the seed wasn't green. I also think you have great pots!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to Jannich of the AV forum, the tall skinny plant has been identifided as a Lucky Bean plant. With the name I was able to find it on the net. This is what I found out for anyone who is interested.

Quoting:
It's in the genus Castanospermum, and it's a native Australian tree that grows to about 60 feet tall and is hardy only in Zone 10. It's seen quite a bit as a landscape plant in south Florida and portions of southern California, but most of us can only grow it as a patio plant or houseplant. Still, it's worth growing, if only for its rather bizarre seed pods from which the stems emerge. It's fairly easy to grow; just place it in a spot that gets filtered light and keep the soil moist but not soggy.

Jesse

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

The 'Lucky Bean' is a cool plant, no doubt, but the 'beans' do eventually 'disconnect' from the trunk of the plant....just so you know.

You definitely cured your 'plant-itis' with some beauties, Jesse!
Those would have done it for me, too;)

What size pot is that Calathea in?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Calatheas come in a range of colors and patterns. They don't like it cold though since I lost most of mine in a very cool greenhouse. They really thrived in our heat and humidity in summer though.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow hcmcdole, You have some real beauties.

I did not buy this plant to go out in the greenhouse. I needed something pretty to put by my livingroom window. It was so bare in front of that window and really needed something nice to perk it up. I really do love this plant. I have always wanted one but never found one in "perfect" condition. Most times when I have found them they had been picked over and most were all messed up. I think they just got those in so I got first pick.

Right now it is in a 9" nursery pot. Do you think I should repot it into a bigger and more sturdy pot?

Do you think this is a Calathea Medallion?

Jesse

I picked up most of mine at HD or Lowe's (those exotic angel plants). I was only able to keep a couple after that one winter. I finally bought two more last year - Wal-Mart had a special on some houseplants "2 for $6". Here they are:

Yours might be Medallion but I can't find many pictures online.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I was able to find a few and I think that is what it is.

Jesse

Hcmcdole, I love the one in the upper right - what is that one? Also, the ones with the cream border on the foliage, are those a type of Roseo-picta? I have a Medallion, like the first poster, but would love to have some of the more unusual ones too.

Randi

Randi,

I have no idea what the names were on those. I picked them up here and there at Lowes and Home Depot for the most part. Most are some hybrid of roseopicta. Ornata seemed to be more fussy.

Check this web site for some ideas on names.

http://www.agristarts3.com/PlantResults.asp?SW=calathea&SF=PlantName

Here were the other two I used to have. The one on the bottom right is rotundifolia and is one that survived the cold greenhouse.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Oooooh, great finds everyone!
:) Donna

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I picked up 2 cyclamens last week. I need more plants in here like a hole in the head!

Tom

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I know what you mean. I do not have any room left in my house or greenhouse but sometimes I just 'have' to have a couple new ones. It is the only cure for Plantitis.

Jesse

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You are plant crazy! Me too.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks dale. That is a compliment, being plant crazy. I can hardly wait until this spring to start putting all of my containers outside. But for now I just buy anything that I can find. :)

Jesse

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am lucky. I work as a gardener and I get to buy plants every week with other people's money. Whee! I take the leftover home and this is what I do with them--

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow Dale. You do a great job with all of those plants. What a great gardener you are!

Jesse

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Not a great one, just persistent. Here what I do on the job.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I stumbled across your plant...check this out..

Pachina Macrocarpa
Pachina Macrocarpa
Place of Origin: China Type: Bonsai
Certification: PHY

This plant symbolizes rich.It can bring you much money.It is welcomed by many people

Pachina Macrocarpa

(Zone 1)

Ok ... gotta find me one of those Pachina Macrocarpa plants - especially if it can bring me much money!!

Jesse: Your user name Plantcrazii suits you! With that name you have to buy plants!! Lovely choices you made too. Really nice plants!

San Antonio, TX

Stromanthe Sanguinea Triostar

Thumbnail by Anaid
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dale - ever since you posted last year (?) somewhere that people have you rip out their plants in favor of other, newer ones, I have been noticing, for instance, the college down the street had a lovely patch of daffodils, earlier than ours by a week or too! Then when their foliage should have been ripening, they were mysteriously replaced by something else. Most recently the masses of begonias that were there for much of the summer have been ditched in favor of pretty garden mums. I wonder what happened to all the begonias? And did they toss all the daffodil bulbs? And here I am, in hock to Brent and Becky's for bulbs...

Wrong forum for this topic, sorry!

xx, Carrie

(Zone 1)

I was in North Georgia visiting my sister in August and one day we were leaving her subdivision to go shopping and noticed workmen doing gardening at the entrance. I thought they were just weeding and grooming .... well, when we got back late that afternoon all of the plants that had been there were gone and new plants were in place! I asked my sister why they would remove those beautiful begonia's and coleus just to re- plant, what they pulled out looked really beautiful. She said, "Oh, they do that with the seasons, change stuff out. I asked her what they did with what they took out and she said they throw it away! Oh, how I wished I had known that ... I would have been right there "collecting the trash"!! Such a waste of perfectly good plants.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm right there with you, Plantlady!

San Antonio, TX

The same thing happens with businesses who have companies maintain healthy looking plants in their offices. I use to work for one of those companies and I asked one of the maintenance gardeners what happend to the old plants. She gave me a card and told me to go to the home office/nursery and I could buy some of the plants taken out. Im sure there are alot of these types of businesses everywhere and that they too sell to the public.

It's the difference between a real gardener like us who love and care for our plants and those plant maintenance companies who just do it for the appearance of the office.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Boy, am I on the wrong forum, though... I stopped in to talk about bringing houseplants in for the winter! I don't need more... I think, for now. I'm talking about bringing them in, and my kids are saying "Mom's going to turn the living room into a jungle again!" LOL

xx, carrie

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I know exactly what you mean ,Carrie! My husband says he needs a vine rope from the ceiling to SWING through the jungle in our house! (hence my username??!!) And still I can't have enough plants

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure I'll be allowed to bring them in this year!

Thumbnail by carrielamont

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.