Are these seeds on my Scheflerra?

(Zone 1)

I am almost ashamed to show this photo. I have this Shef that was a gift for our 15th anniversary and we've been married for 37 years. Anyway, this plant is in a pot junked in the corner of my backyard. I have been a Bad Plant Mommy as this thing has been very neglected for years as the photo shows. Anyway, I was just out covering some stuff in the yard to try to protect it from our 28 degree temp's tonight. And, I noticed what looks like clusters of berries or seeds on this Sheff. I have never seen this before, so I am posting this photo to see if someone knows anything about Sheff's and can shed some light on whether this is somekind of fruit, or seed pods.

Thanks,
Lin

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Here's a close up:

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I have no idea -- didn't even know they would do that!! I was going to tell you how old mine is, but honestly can't remember, but it's about five feet tall. It is in a pot and badly needs to be repotted. Hope someone else can answer your question.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Lin love your plant ! I want one. I was looking at a Dwarf Bonisa plant of it, also the vareigated plants.
Easy to grow in ground in FL can grow 10 ft plus tall !
I think those are fruits on your plant and that they do drop seeds and grow more plants.
Just think lol

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Looks like seeds to me to. Lin you can be that bad of a Mommie if you can make seeds...lol.
:) Donna

(Zone 1)

:) Donna: My plants are so neglected most of the time, I guess they just like it here cause I practically never fertilize and they just get watered ever couple of weeks! I think I'm going to plant this Shef in the yard where it will do much better. Here's a photo I've posted on other forums of a huge one in my back yard that originally was a houseplant back in the early 70's!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wowzers, Lin! That is one big houseplant...lol!!! It sure looks cool.
:) Donna

(Zone 1)

Here's another smaller one. Both of the Sheff's in the ground usually have leaves all the way down to the ground, but I have been pulling those branches off to be able to see the plants in the flower beds below. This one is will get taller than the roof too, but I've been keeping it pruned shorter.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I can't get over the size of the leaves!

(Zone 1)

Allison: I just love those variegated Sheff's that are being used as landscape plants outside now. They have been popular in South Florida for a number of years, some of them are a dwarf variety, only getting about 2 1/2 - 3 feet tall, so they make a nice border plant. I will have to take a photo of the ones in my sister's yard the next time I'm down that way!

Here's a photo of a variegated variety I've had in a container in my deck area for years. It's kinda scrawny looking right now, needs some TLC to fill out a bit.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Lin do they root easy ? Can you send me a cutting please if they do ?

(Zone 1)

Yes Allison, I have grown them from cuttings before! I will include one in you box!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Awesome Lin !
Thanks, Allison :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.