Please help name that plant

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Just picked this one up at ALDI foods for only $7.99. Actually I bought 6 different plants. What can I say, I've got spring fever and they have some nice looking 10" plants.

All the tag says is "Tropical plant". (thats a tremendous help)
Anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by dodgedame
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oooh..you have Aldi's there, too?
I got a nice Ti there last weekend.

Yours is a Ctenanthe.

(Zone 1)

Yep ... I have a very large one - its called 'Ctenanthe' and here's the link for it in Plant Files:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53679/index.html

Pretty, pretty, pretty! I love Ctenanthes, but I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to keep one alive, as I have very low humidity here. Let us know how yours does for you!

Randi

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nice plant !!

Thanks soo much, that was fast!

I also bought a Ti and a couple of dracaena's, a weeping fig and a philo selloum.

(Zone 1)

Forgot to include the photo of mine:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Love those leaves.Hope she does well for you : )

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Woah Lin,That is huge! So Lovely.Wish they could grow here.

(Zone 1)

Dodgedame: They get very large as you can see .... a lot of folks have them in the ground here in Florida, but I've kept mine in a pot in my pool area .... they require a LOT of water! This is one plant I don't think I can ever overwater!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol, dodgedame...there was another Ti I really *wanted* to buy...but the old budget could only be stretched a li'l bit;)

Nice, Lin!!

Hey, folks...this one actually does pretty well indoors.
It's really not as 'fussy' as the others.

(Zone 1)

Hey Cedar: You could grow it as a houseplant! A couple of weeks ago, I took a cutting and stuck it in a jar of water just to see if it would root! Yep .... a root coming out of either side of the node below where I cut it. Will have to see how it does once it's potted up .... I'm going to take some more to root - will have some to trade if works!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Love that plant dodgedame!
Nan if its not too fussy It might just be ok for me.LOL
Well Lin,Sure enough,it rooted good for you.Looks nice.Well if it does good for you I might just have to see what I can come up to tempt you with for a cutting come spring..: )

(Zone 1)

I'm definately gonna root some more cuttings, so I will have plenty for y'all to try! Just remind me in another month.

edited to say: I'm going out right now and take some more cuttings!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 1:57 PM

Love the color on this Ti.

Thumbnail by dodgedame
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

That's the *other* one I wanted!!
Very nice...lucky you;)

Never had a dragon tree before....

Thumbnail by dodgedame

All of these are houseplants for me. I have the perfect patio room for them. Hubby calls it the rainforest.

Thumbnail by dodgedame
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautiful plants ! Happy growing !

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

All Gorgeous dadgedame.Your patio room sounds wonderful! Ahhhh : )

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love to take a Ti and use in a giant pot in the center surrounded by other plants...the foliage is soooooo pretty as is the variegated foliage one....can't spell it....

(Zone 1)

LOVE that Ti plant! I had a very large Ti years ago, but after a few years it began to decline quickly and finally died. I haven't tried one again. That is a really nice specimen!

I have a large Dracaena marginata (Dragon Tree) that looks pretty awful right now. It got squashed when we covered it a few weeks ago when it was cold one night. The heavy blanket my hubby put on it really mashed it down. This picture shows how bad it looks ... It needs to be re-potted and I also need to prune it back. I will root the tops when I cut them off next month!

(Zone 1)

I also have this small one with the dark leaves .... it needs re-potting too, has a big fat root growing through the bottom of the pot, so I need to cut the pot away and give it a new one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.