Need ideas for a long bog garden (Part 2)

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

This thread is the second part of: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/680363/

I have not planted anything into the ground yet. Though I am seriously thinking about doing so this weekend or next. The weather appears to be holding on to warm weather, so this might be the time to do so!

Here is a photo of the little above ground pond and the peach colored flowering canna that is in the corner of the bog garden..

This message was edited Feb 10, 2007 1:25 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Here is a photo of some the ditch lily tubers I received from some folks here on DG (Day Lily forum). They are probably considered weeds by most day lily growers, but they are very hardy and might be a bit invasive, but this is one plant I don't care if it spreads. They are lovely in bloom. Some of them are the double-flower variety as well. They look like they like their new home here in Florida!

They were just tubers when I received them a few months ago. I need to get them in the ground soon as the roots are starting to grow through the bottom of the pots! lol

This message was edited Feb 10, 2007 1:14 PM

Here are some Liatris in pots that are starting to come up. (Don't know if you can see the leaves peeking through in the pots.) I bought 20 corms from Wally World about a month ago and planted them the following weekend when the weather cleared up. I have heard that they can be grown in moist soil. Anyone know?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Looking great Becky!

Do you have any Hedychium or Butterfly Gingers? They have this incredible fragrance, and can be grown in boggy soil and even directly in water.

Here's some lovely ones

http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?categoryID=5

Fly-girl - TropicalKaren sent me a rhizome from one of her Ginger Lilies. Which is going into a pot this weekend. And she also sent me some Dwarf Papyrus as seen in this photo. I am growing it in a pot in both of my ponds.

And here are 2 more large cannas (same color flowers as the first photo in this thread) that were donated to me by a trader on another garden website. They are doing great! I also have some Calla Lilies in two pots (to the left) and the 5 pots in the front are dwarf canna (various colored flowers) and the large pot on the right is a White Flower Ginger Lily rhizome that hasn't started growing enough yet to see it. (They were all Wally World purchases!)

This message was edited Feb 12, 2007 5:55 PM

And here are my seedlings of which some of those will go into the bog garden.

I don't know how much of a bog garden this is going to be overall. After adding dirt and compost to the bog area, it has raised it up a bit and is not as damp as it was beforehand. Though further down in the ground it is still very damp/wet.

I am wondering about possibly just taking many of the seeds I have from trades and just planting them in many of the 4' X 6' bog garden sections and just seeing what happens. I am definitely going to look up the seeds to see if they like moist soil with full to partial sun before I plant them. But I don't know how this might look if it all starts growing. Any ideas or advice?

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hey Becky do you want some Canna seeds???????????? They are Canna 'Tropical Rose'.....

I know you like cannas......................

M

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Becky looks like you are off to a great start. Striped Beauty Canna grows in Damp soil, Bog sage for the Butterflies is another

Mark - I love canna! I do not have any Tropical Rose. I wish I'd know you had some before you sent my Iris seeds to me. I am sorry you are spending so much money on postage for me. Can I at least reimburse you for the postage???

I have to tell you .... I just received the 2nd shipment from the woman on ebay for the water irises and guess what? They are CRUSHED again. She wraps them with a thin bubble wrap which is almost flat by the time I receive it. Never, ever again would I even consider ordering ANYTHING from her! She made good money off me, so you'd think she'd buy a bubble envie to send my seeds in instead of wrapping them in a small piece of bubble wrap. How dumb can ya be???? Grrrrr .....

Donna - What is Bog Sage? Sounds interesting. Is it a Salvia of some sort?

I wish Paige would read this thread. I know that she often grows her gardens from seeds. I think she mentioned one time that she just throws them out in a fresh bed and waits to see what happens. I've never done that before so I am not sure of exactly how to do this. I have a lot of seeds of misc. stuff and many of them like moist soil .... soooooo I think I am going to Go For It!!! Wish me luck! I am game for anything at this point and can remove and move plants if I don't like how they look if the seed germination plan actually works for me! I just need to refrain from weeding!!! LOL! That will be the HARD part.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

here's a good link for you Becky. I have got to get more myself
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg04/sg040520.html

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

wow, 6-7 feet tall, that is some salvia.

Oh my, I missed the size of those salvia! Heavens to Betsy! Those are some mighty tall and large salvia! LOL! Would probably be an interesting plant for the back of the border. Ironically, it says that it does NOT like having wet feet. The name is totally misleading! Bummer!

Salvia like dry and rubbish soil Becky...................... well they do here!!!!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

likes damp soil but not sitting in water

What a productive day! Got some more tubers, roots, and bulbs potted up today. It seems that this year Wally World had a good source for those starter plants. All those bagged rhizomes, bulbs, tubers, and roots are actually growing in my pots, so I decided to pick up some more while I was there today. This time I got 3 red canna tubers, some Acidanthera bulbs, Gladiolus corms, and1 tuberous root for a red flowering Dahlia. (Of course, not all of this is going into the bog bed.)

I also added another 5'X5' bed around my small crepe myrtle bush in the backyard. I am going to add a Wild Lime, Pawpaw, Hercules Club, and Cassia bushes to that area as well. Maybe not all of them, but I am going to try to squeeze as many of them in that bed as possible. It's a full sun location and the crepe myrtle looks so ridiculous out there all by itself. lol The bush bed is just a few feet from the bog garden.

I also planted in the ground one of the peach colored cannas and 2 of the ditch lilies called Kwanso fulva. One of the traders who sent me the ditch lilies added 4 clumps of this variety. As you can see from the web link, the flowers are gorgeous.
http://www.nccpg.com/gloucestershire/plantweek18c.html

I planted those 3 plants right next to the small pond in that bed.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Those fulvas are gorgeous! It sounds like your yard is going to look fantastic, you must shows pics along the way.

Thanks, fly-girl! I hope it all turns out okay when it's done. I'm a novice at this gardening business! And unfortunately, I learn best by trial and error. I try my best to read up on the plants I am trying to grow, but sometimes the info is confusing or I don't know all the details until it is too late. But, the nice thing about gardening ..... if it doesn't work you can pull them up and start over with the garden bed. :-)

Gardening reminds me of an artist palette ..... it starts off like a blank canvas and then you add the colors, texture, and sizes. So much fun!!!

Mark - Guess what????? I got your bubble envelope today. THANK YOU so much! Well .... now I can see what the Iris seeds are "supposed to" look like!!! They came in perfect condition! You are the bomb!!! {{{hugs}}} Now let's see if they germinate. Should be interesting!

I also am very interested in the seeds you sent me. Have you grown any of them in your garden? One thing I found most interesting was that your seeds are packed in foil and then placed in the seed envelopes! I've honestly never seen that here in the U.S.A. ! That's really a great idea to preserve them longer! I received orange cosmos seeds from a group swap, but I like the red and pink colors better for my gardens. I will definitely be growing the Cosmos seeds you sent me! And those Jaffa Ice plants ..... WOW! What can I say??? I've never seen anything like them. They remind me of Sunflowers, but a totally different color! I'll be trying those as well. And I've never seen the Lavatera before either. Very, very pretty! Looks like I've got more goodies to add to my garden beds thanks to you! My beds will be full this year! Yay!

Mark - You HAVE to post some photos of your gardens come Spring or post some old photos from previous years. I like what little I have seen of your gardens. I want to see more for inspiration. I like what you have done. It looks very lush and well planned! :-) You're not a landscaper are you? I know you do the taxi business, too. But you definitely have a gift with gardening. Please post some photos! Pretty please!!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh goodie, pleased they arrived in good condition................. for the life of me i cannot understand why that stupid woman sends them in an envelope....... ridiculous!!
Plkeased you like the other ones i popped in the packet too.............. hehehehe, knew you would like em!!

The Jaffa Ice were great last year in my garden................. they are relly pretty!!!
All seeds here come in a foil envelope.............. as you said, it keeps em fresh!!!

Dont really have any photos of the garden Becky, only round the greenhouse area.............. usually spend more time taking pics of the crocosmia!!!!! But this year i will take some, just for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww, thanks Mark! I really would love to see more of your gardens. I need inspiration and ideas! Your Crocosmia are beautiful and I know you have a lot more plants than just those. So I know that not only I but everyone else would love to see your gardens!!!! I look forward to it! :-)

The only pics i have are of the greenhouse area................... but i guess you will have seen those already!!!
I will do some though.............

This is one Becky............

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia

Oh Mark! Your walkway to your greenhouse is so pretty! Lush and colorful!!! Very nice! :-)

The weather is flip-flopping back and forth here, though we have not had a hard freeze yet. Close but not quite. I want to start planting seeds, but am afraid we'll get a freeze that will kill everything tender. I hate this indecisiveness and lack of prediction in the weather in my area. (sigh) I'm such a control freak! LOL

fly_girl - I had to chuckle when I read a thread on another DG forum. Someone potted up some of the blooming ditch lilies and took them to a Farmers Market to sell. Sold each one for $40.00! LOL LOL LOL They are considered WEEDS by the day lily folks! But boy are they pretty and very hardy and very quick to spread in the right conditions. Can't wait to see some blooms from mine. I just never know about new seeds and plants until they bloom. Just like the canna tubers I received..... they were supposed to be red and loved by hummers, but instead are pale peach and I still don't have hummers! ROFL! But that's okay, I actually like the peach color and it's going to match the plants around them. It's always a surprise for me! Gotta love those surprises!!! :-)

Oh it is lovely in the summer Becky, hidden amongst all that is a bench............. i love to sit there in the summer and just smell the air and listen to the birdies singing!!!!!

What are these ditch lily things????? I have not seen one.................. what do they look like???

Crocosmia are loved by hummers Becky....................... shame we dont have hummers in this country.

Oh i forgot to add................. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 8:58 AM

Becky

A lovely pic for you........................... the sky this morning!!

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia

Mark - Oh my! How beautiful at sunrise over there in the U.K.!

A bench hidden in your garden is perfect!! I have plans to have little seating areas in my garden, too, once it gets lush and beautiful like yours! That would be the ultimate!!! :-) Mark do you have a bog area or pond in your yard?

Here is a link for the ditch lilies. I've been told that they can be invasive in my zone, but frankly I don't care. I think they are very lovely and easy to grow. What do ya think, Mark? Something that I should try in my garden? I might plant some of them in another area that is dryer to curb the growth and possible invasiveness of using them. Not decided yet. But I love them!!!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/201/
and this link tells more about them:
http://www.gardenersnet.com/bulbs/tigerlily.htm

Morning Becky,
I have been lurking on here and following your progress...Everything sounds ike it is going to be beautiful.
I wish I had known you had wanted ditch lilies, I mailed a ton off to people and then tossed countless more. When you plant them in the drier areas they don't spread as fast. At least that is my experience here, and I have also planted them in pots and planted the pots to keep them from over running my beds.Then just pop out the pots and thin when needed......Well off to lurk on other forums......Lauri

Thanks, Lauri! That is the same advice I received from the people that sent me some of the ditch lily tubers. I really like them now and don't want to hate them in a couple years, so I am still debating how and where to plant them permanently.

Do you have the Kwanso fulva variety or the regular wild Ditch Lilies? I have heard that the Kwanso grow slower and don't spread out as much, but I don't know how true that is?

I have the Kwanso fulva variety and mine love it when I work up the beds and admend them up real nice and planted them in the dirt without a care in the world....LOL I soon learned the hard way, they will just take off and sprout everywhere you don't want them.....if you need more just holler....

Hello Lurker Lauri...................... hehehehe

How are you today????????????

Onery today and you Mark??? Are you being onery???......................hehehehehe..............

I am never onery honey.................... hehehehehehe

LOL you are always onery love.......................hehehehe

any seeds growing yet Becky???????????????????????????????????????

Mark - I hope to be sowing seeds next weekend. Haven't been able to do so before then! I've got a number of starter plants ready to go into the ground, but it doesn't look like the ground underneath the cardboard is ready yet. :-(

Hopefully next weekend or the following weekend.

Oh good................ bet you cant wait to get some stuff planted and seeds set............

Well Becky, you are now speaking to the national collection holder of Crocosmia.......... I found out this morning that i have been given full status............... woooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited...

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Mark, congratulations. That's a wonderful acheivement! You should write a book about your collection. I'd love to see them in an album.

Hi Cordeledawg................ Thank you, it has taken some doing, but got there in the end!! Write a book, hmmmmmmmmm the history of crocosmia is a long long story!!
When they are in flower this year i will be out there with my camera and adding them to my site.... if you havent seen my site, click the link below

http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/

Mark

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Mark, I just signed your guestbook #2. Love your pictures. You must be a professional photographer,surely you are! Love the little rain droplets on some of the crocosmias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.