Maternity Plant

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

saw this plant in a plantopedia book i have. and was amazed! this type of succulant has big leaves and then little baby plants come out the edges of every leaf. its also called a mexican hat dance. anyway, i bought 5 babies from each of 3 different types this lady on ebay had. I posted many pics in my journal showing how i put them in soil. but they are soooo tiny, they will probably take FOREVER to have babies of their own.
stephanie

Thumbnail by sjonesartist
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

here they are once iput them in soil.

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

the smaller ones

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here is a website with info and some pictures: http://www.bryophyllum.com/b/commonnames/

North Augusta, ON

lol...I had one of these once, was a cool plant, but a pain in the neck if you keep your plants in groups. The silly little babies fall into, and grow, in everything!!!!
Have Fun,
Lee Anne

(Zone 1)

Is it the same plant called "Mother of Thousands" ????

(Zone 1)

I just went out and took a photo of this plant (or in the same family) growing in a vacant lot across the street from me. I have had it in pots before ... my neighbor grows it and gave me a cutting. I got rid of all I had, because like threegardeners says .... it can be a pain in the neck! It will spread like crazy and drop little babies that take root wherever they land! It is unusual and pretty, though! And .... Stephanie ..... I think they will probably grow pretty fast!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Here's a little more of a close up shot. These plants probably grew here from the babies flying in the wind!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

very cool plant lady. i wonder if mine will flower.
i didn't see any iimages on the internet with flowers on the type i have.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I luv the flowers on it.
:) Donna

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

yes plant lady lyn, aka mother of thousands, also aka mexican hat, stephanie

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

Took these pics on Feb. 14th. only 5 days, and they are almost double this today! these really perked up, and have white fuzzy roots reaching out from mid leaf to the soil.
I'll take more pics in a few days. i can't wait till they start having babies for me to send out for adoption!
stephanie

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have one type of these. They are only a few inches tall in a three inch pot but already showing babies.
I have one big one inside for the winter; sure would be cool if it flowered this summer for me.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Would you believe, after I saw this plant flowering at Canaveral 2 years ago, I became enamored of it & started collecting different species of it? This one is B. tubiflora. I haven't gotten it to bloom yet but another species bloomed for me.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 9:55 AM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's another one. My friend who lives in Deland sent me some of them & they are happily growing & multiplying in my greenhouse.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.