Polymer crystals

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Tammie,

I love, Love LOVE! my crystals! I have been experimenting and playing with them and using them in all my seeding and containers. My newest experiment is putting them in a plastic container with a couple of store-bought sweet potatoes to see if I can get them to root (and throw vines) in the crystals. I am so happy I got these and was in the right place at the right time!

Suzy

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, they are fun to play with. I root cuttings in the crystals all the time.. I would bet the sweet potato will do well. It is so much easier than dealing with water by itself and you just add some water when it needs it.

Have fun.

Tammie

Madison, WI

Tammie,
With water you can easily change it, to keep it fresh. So with the crystals that's not an issue then, is it?

I do get some algae on the crystals... they get sort of green.. I just let it dry out a bit before adding water.. it does not evaporate as fast as free water so it takes a lot longer before needing to add water and if I forget... the plants never figure out that I have forgotten them.

Tammie

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

There are several points to remember when using polymers: First, don't use too much, because the absorptive characteristics of the polymer are such that if you use too much, it will compete with your media for water to such a degree that your media will crust over and water will run off. Second, you can soak them in MG, but the actual amount of fertilizer taken up will be minimal. Third, polymers aren't a substitute for watering, just a tool to extend the time between watering. Your media needs water just as much as your plants do. - illiniguy

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the tip!

Lana

Lone Tree, CO

I am looking for some feedback on a product I tried last year. Has anyone else tried FertiSorb? I purchased it over the internet from the company's website and it was wonderful. I used it in both my pots and beds and the results were amazing. It caught my eye because it is a polymer and fertilizer in one and with it being as dry out here as it has been I thought it could not hurt to try it out. I did not have to fertilize all summer and I plan on getting more this year.

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

There have been some positive posts for Fertisorb on the Garden Watchdog.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I ordered the Watersorb crystals from the co-op here and used them for the first time today. I had some large plants to relocate so just put a few crystals at the bottom of each new hole, mixed it with a few inches of new soil and added the plant. I watered really thoroughly afterwards. We'll see what happens. In this dry desert climate anything that holds moisture in the soil is a blessing. When the weather warms up I'll be using the crystals in some pots for geraniums, petunias and other annuals. Potted plants here can need watering twice a day which I can't manage. I think the crystals will be a life saver for me.

June

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LL, what is the "hugs project"?

xxx, Carrie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I AM SUCH A DUNCE! This week I put a few things (well, more than that) in pots until I can get beds built. Did I think to put some crystals in each pot??? DUH!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Carrie,

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3244419

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Is it too late to order 5 lb. If it's not, where do I send a check. Many thanks

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

orchid923, you need to go to the co ops forum and find the thread for the Watersorb co op and order there. Your questions will be answered there.

Lana

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Lana -- I have done that.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

How do you add the crystals to already established plants in the ground? For example daylilies that you don't want to dig up?

Thanks,
Susan

you can dig some small holes around the plants and then put some crystals down in them. The roots will find the moisture reserves over time. It just takes them a little while to grow roots to where the moisture is.

Tammie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Tammie!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the prompt shipment Tammie!
I used some crystals in my composter that I couldn't seem to get to cook.. it dried out too fast or I got it toooo wet... I sprinkled a few wet jelly globs in when I added fresh greens and stuff and I'm cookin now!

that is a really good idea.. they would help regulate the amount of moisture.

Tammie

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Tammie, have you tried making cool mats for your dogs? Do you suppose I could just sew some up in a double thickness pillowcase? It seems it would be great for travel and crates in the hot summer.

Yes, I make cool mats for the dogs. I too use pillowcases but you do not have to double them up... single thickness will work unless you do a lot of squishing or fill too much with crystals. The first one I made has a lot of crystals and that thing is HEAVY when fully hydrated. I have even used it to sit on when working in the yard... or put my knees on.

Tammie

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

That's a good idea. So about how many in a pillowcase for a 30# dog?

I sew the case into channels... then put crystals in each... sew across the center and add more crystals... that way they can't shift to one area. Very quick and easy. Hydrate a 1/2 tsp full and see how much that is. It will give you an idea of how much area it will fill.

Tammie

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Very good; thank you, Tammie. I've already done the experiment; I'd never have thought of the channels. :-)

Albany, GA(Zone 8a)

http://watergelcrystals.com/order.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.