Polymer crystals

Madison, WI

How are you going to use it for propagation?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I have played with the 'diaper crystals' and they do not seem to have the same properties... they are smaller and allow less air between them for rooting and they usually look opaque when full of water versus the agricultural crystals which are clear. I don't know if they are different or not. I just like the larger crystals to work with and grind them smaller if I need them smaller. They all do absorb a lot of water though.

Tammie

Interlachen, FL(Zone 9a)

I would like 5#, too.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hey, can I get in? I could use 4-5 pounds...

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Of course, Darius :~) I'm getting ready to post a Q/A on the co op forum today. Then, hopefully by this weekend I will post the order thread. I will post a link here for any posts on the Co op Forum.

Lana

Cincinnati, OH

I will take a flat rate envelope full.
Larry Wallace

This message was edited Feb 28, 2007 4:06 PM

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Here's the Q&A post finally!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/697540/

Lana

By the way, that price for a 50 pound bad that comes to about $4 per pound on watersorb does not include shipping which is very expensive... generally a little over .50 cents per pound. I just paid $28 per bag to have the 50 pound ones shipped. That makes it $4.56 per pound before you pay shipping and add incidentals such as zip lock bags, tape and labels.

I do get a discount from watersorb. That is why I am able to offer the co-op at a lower price per pound plus actual shipping. I spoke with J.P. at Watersorb yesterday... we talk a lot... he is aware I am doing this co-op using my discount.

To be short, this co-op is even less than the best price if you buy the large 50 pound bags.

Tammie

Reading the Q&A page, cost is $4.25 per pound, plus shipping to us, correct? BUT, just above here, Tammie says $4.56 per pound. Did I miss something?

Yes, you did miss something... Suzy (ILLoquin above) mentioned getting a large bag together and sharing which on the web site is $199 for 50 pounds and comes to $4 per pound but that price does not include shipping. So, with the shipping included to a single person who would then re-package and mail to others, that makes it about $4.56 per pound....even that price is more than the co-op. Clear as mud? LOL The co-op price is $4.25 per pound plus actual shipping.

Tammie

Thanks. I'm in for 5 pounds in a flat rate box. Address is in the Exchange, and I'll send PayPal. Is there a paypal address posted somewhere?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll take 5 pounds in the flat rate envelope. (I can fit 15 pounds of crystals into a flat rate box and 5 pounds into a flat rate envelope. - from above post)

5 x $4.25 = 21.25

Shipping $

Kathy

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I would like 5lbs in a flat rate envelope also....Deb

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Easy there gardeners, this isn't the thread for orders :~) I am into something else at the moment and didn't want to get the order thread started just yet. Looks like I better before y'all run away with me LOL :~D Will try to get the order thread posted today!

Lana

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 3:41 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone used these for household plants?

I'm thinking I need to re-pot some of mine this year....

If I added "some" to the potting soil, got it wet - waited til the crystals stopped "growing" then replanted my plants,
do ya think that sounds reasonable?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

tcs, yes I think that's how it’s supposed to be done – wet.

I just got mine yesterday and my very first use for them had nothing to do with plants!

We have a coffee bar with an automatic hot water maker and after everything was finished and installed, my husband put an old brownie pan underneath it (in the bottom corner of the cabinet) in case it ever overflowed. I’ve been sick as a dog and the whole house has gone to he77. The coffee bar trash (oatmeal packs, tea bags, coffee filters - all compostables, but not smelly compostables) had nearly overflowed, so when I was emptying that, I noticed the water. Well, you can’t empty a big flat brownie pan of water from the bottom of a cabinet without losing most of it, so I used 1/4 cup of my precious crystals to sort of solidify it before trying to remove it. Worked like a charm and they went right out with the trash to the compost bin, so I’ll be sort of recycling them. Sort of. The real reason I used them was because I paid for them with Paypal, and now I can justify my wise and expeditious purchase!

Suzy

Thornton, IL

suze - I hope you're feeling better, it's no fun being sick. :0(

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

The first time I ever saw these things was at the Southeastern Flower show here in Atlanta 4-5 years ago. They showed different ways to use them. Some were in vases of colored water making a decorative "Frog" holding up cut flowers. I have used them for rooting cuttings, the roots grow right through the crystals and you can plant them, crystals and all.

I put them in all my large containers and in the holes when I plant hostas and other moisture loving plants. They are especially good in baskets with the coconut liners. You can soak them in MG too for added slow release fertilizer. Once I tried sprouting seeds in them, but it was too much moisture. They are really great tho, I bought a 50 lb bag too and shared it for a long time with my garden club members.

I understand that there are 2 types of composition. Some are made of a cornstartch base which only last a couple of years - others are made of polymer which will last indefinately. I think the white ones must be the cornstarch base.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

hmmm, I bet cornstarch is the type they use in diapers. Sorry folks, had a power outage tonight. The power just came on so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to put up the crystals order thread. :~( Sorry.

Lana

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Quoting:
You can soak them in MG too for added slow release fertilizer.

what's MG?

i'm sure it's obvious - but just can't "see" it right now.

and THANKS for all that info.... I like the "clippings" idea too.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

MG=MiracleGro

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

gotcha!! Thanks. (I knew it would be something obvious)

I think i'm gonna have a ball with this polymer stuff....

Me, too! I'm making pockets for all my bathing suit bra-tops and am going to stuff them with watersorb...I might drown with the extra weight, but I'll look gooooood going down!

Suzy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ROFLMAO Suzy -- not a bad idea... stuffin' the suit that is.

I give out those glow bracelets for halloween. I make a big bowl of the crystals and put the bracelets already glowing at the bottom. The kids have to reach into the 'goo' to get their treat. It is fun for them ... cold and feels slick and wet but they do not get their hands wet. That is one of my favorite 'other uses' for the crystals besides making the neck cool ties.

Suzy, that idea with the water catch tray is fantastic!!!! You might try laying them out in a plastic bowl outside for them to dry out and then re use them too. They will dry out into hard crystals again within a few days depending on the temp and humidity. Now for the swim suit idea... might be a little 'lumpy' and they do sink in water... LOL

Tammie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tammy,

don't wanna beat a dead horse here.... but for the total cost: (for 5 pounds)

Quoting:
The co-op price is $4.25 per pound plus actual shipping.

5# would be (4.25 x 5) = 21.25 + 4.05 (flat rate box for up to 5#) then add what ever YOUR s/h charges are??

and has the 'order thread' been posted? I haven't found one yet.

**i'm just getting so excited about getting to use these**
(kid with a new toy)

TIA,

Terese

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

This is a good deal- they were about $12.00 per lb at Lowes, HD, etc. a couple of years ago.

No, she hasn't gotten the order thread up yet.. sometime today.

Q & A link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/697540/

The $4.25 per pound includes all 'handling' extras like the zip lock bags, tape and labels. The total including Shipping and handling for 5 pounds is $25.30
5 pounds x $4.25 = $21.25 + $4.05 shipping = total $25.30

I am using click and ship so I don't have to charge extra for delivery confirmation since it is included when you do everything on line. It does take me an extra day or two just becuse I have a glitch in my computer that has quit communicating between the postal service site and my printers. I have been trying to get it fixed but for now, I enter the addresses and shipping information and save them then go to my parents to house to print the paid shipping labels. I have mailed out over 200 packages of crystals in the past 2 years and have never had a single one disappear in shipping and received only 1 report that a box was damaged and open when it arrived but the crystals were intact inside.

Tammie

the edits were trying to get the link to work... LOL

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 10:26 AM

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 10:27 AM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

super-dooper

i'll be looking for the link and i'll pop off my paypal $$

terese

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Sorry I didn't get the order thread up last night folks. We had a power outage. I'm just now eating breakfast :~) So I'll get the thread up asap.

Lana

Drat! I thought I had a great look coming with my designer bathing suit inserts! ;)

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, use a thin foam liner over the crystals to smooth them out and you've got yourself an eyecatching boob-job without the surgery! ROFLOL!!! Now if I could just get mine back up where they use to be....

Lana

BTW, Tammie, make sure when you take the boxes in to the PO that they scan the d/c in to their system or it's no good. They are bad about that but if they don't scan it it doesn't show shipped or received.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What I'd have liked to see was you hopping into the pool with your dry inserts -- and then emerging a brief swim later! You'd be able to sell dips in that pool for a whole lot of money!

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 4:44 PM

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

:~D You could make a fortune. Men could put them in their trunks!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

The co op order thread is open! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/698140/

Lana

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

One question I have is about storage. If I stored them in my garage or shed and it was damp, the crystals would expand, right? I'm in the PNW. So damp damp damp in the winter, and dry dry dry in the summer.

Gwen

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

keep them in a sealed freezer bag or airtight jar or Tupperware. They won't take up much space, you could keep them inside maybe in a cabinet if in doubt. I keep some in a sealed peanut butter jar in the GH which is always damp.

They will not absorb moisture from the air so, no worries. Just keep them away from any place that they might actually get wet. I panicked one evening when I got home during a big rain storm. UPS had delivered 160 pounds while I was away and where they usually put the boxes fills with water when it rains.. I freaked..ran around over there and saw the man was REAL nice and put the boxes on my park benches under the covered walk. I don't even want to think what 160 pounds of swolen crystals would look like.

2 pounds dry fit in a quart zip lock bag... 5 pounds in a gallon bag... just to give you an idea of the volume of the dry crystals.

Tammie

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Remember, there's a Q&A thread in Co-ops about the crystals...you might find your answer there.

Lana

I have had 51 orders for the crystals since we started the co-op 6 days ago... still have crystals available.

Tammie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.