Polymer crystals

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know an inexpensive source for big bags of polymer crystals?

And do you have any recommendations as to brand or type?

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't have a source or brand recommendation, but I do have a piece of advice. Make sure you know how much they are going to swell before you use them (or rehydrate them first). We picked up a small jar of the crystals at the garden center to add to the soil for a large potted queen palm. The directions on the label said to add 1 Tablespoon of the dry crystals to the soil mix for the size of pot we were using, then water well. We had purchased a new square planter, about the size of a half whiskey barrel. The planter was some type of plastic. A few hours after the repotting, we here this loud "ripppp" and "crack" from the deck. When we looked out, the soil had swollen so much that it had ruptured the seams of the planter and the palm had been lifted 6" above the top of it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You must be kidding! One tablespoon did that???? I have a jar of the stuff that I'd never used (it was my mom's) but I assumed it wouldn't last for more than a few pots.

Yep. One tablespoon did that. We were shocked. It was the first time (and pretty much last) time we used crystals in the potting soil. I wantedt to test the expansion after that incident, so I took one teaspoon of the crystals and put them in a two gallon bucket with a gallon of water. When I checked them a few hours later, they had swollen to the top of the bucket. I poured them into a 5 gallon bucket and added water to cover them by a few inches. They swelled to the top of that bucket. We dug holes along the sides of the larger planters and just dropped the prehydrated 'jellies' into them and covered with dirt. We figured they'd get some moisture that way and still be controllable.

Moral of the story: whatever brand you buy, rehydrate a small amount to determine the expansion factor first. Planters are expensive.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I was thinking the same thing when I read "big bag of polymer crystals". I've had a small jar for several years. While I've never heard of them shattering a planter before (amazing!) I know that they swell an awful lot. I just use a pinch to a container. I hydrate it and let it sit a while, then mix with moistened potting mix and , wet and drain again, allow to sit, then actually plant the container. Mine gives instructions on the label for how much to add according to size of container, and it's a very small dry amount.

Karen

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

There are at least 3 sizes of the crystals, there is a fine, almost powdery type for small plants and med, and large , looks like rock salt - these are to be used on trees and other agriculture. I got a 50 lb bag once, shared it with many friends and still have a bunch, but it was much cheaper than buying the small jars.
I think to be safe, you should hydrate them first , then mix with soil. I gave some to a friend that mixed them dry in a bed before he planted pansies - he obviously used too much, with the first rain, the pansies popped up out of the soil and the ground looked like there had been an ice storm!! The instructions I had, said 1 t. per cup of water.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

ok... that's a picture I would love to see

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Whew. I'm so glad I asked you (as is almost always the case -- you have saved me!). I was envisioning a cup of the crystals per large pot, or something like that. I hadn't read the instructions. .. .

Makes you wonder if the person writing the label instructions thought "cup" was an abbreviation for "cubic pint" or something.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

The large ones like I got swell up to 1/2"+ each, so you can imagine how you could easily over do them.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

It wasn't on the label instructions -- just my mistaken assumption. I haven't even opened the jar yet.

You'll be safe until you add water. LOL!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Test them first- just put a teaspoon of them in a cup of water, use a 2 cup container! Just wait about 1/2 hr, it's fun to watch them "grow"!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

www.watersorb.com. Very reasonable prices, good product. I've been using them for years. Only have to buy once in about 3 years. I give some away too. The soil isn't ruined. You can reuse them as often as needed. My silly chickens like to eat them. So far no one has gotten sick or died so I guess it isn't hurting them.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Leaflady, How big is a 1 pound package? Would it fit in a pint ziploc?

Happy, What about this for a coop? With a 50# package, it's only $4.00 a pound as opposed to $17.00 for a single pound. I bet they would cut us a deal and maybe pre pack into 1# packages for us. A lot of their costs come from it being prepaid.

HYPERLINK@www.watersorb.com.] I like this company, and it's one I've heard of before.

Suzy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

But adding on shipping both ways would make it less of a deal. I wonder how much would fit in a flat rate box?

The prices include shipping, but outbound would still be a concern. It's about $4.00 for the 1st pound and $2.00 for every pound thereafter.

A LOT would ship in a flat rate box. Is there a limit on how much they can weigh?

Suzy

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't think so - that's the glory of the flat rate boxes.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I just looked at my jar, it's 12 oz and I've had it for years, and a lot is left in the jar. Are you sure you want that much? If you've not used it before, a little bit really does go a long way. Label directions say use 1/2 tsp for 4" pot,1 tsp for 8" pot, 2 tbls. for 5 gallon pot. So you can see that a small jar will last a long, long, time.

Most garden centers here carry it, so no shipping cost. Since it's been so long since I bought it, I really don't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it was about $8.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone used this in the flower beds to help with drought?

After reading their web site, it seems logical to me.
I'll have areas that have huge cracks in the soil from lack of rain.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I have used them in beds, just be careful not to use too many - don't know how to judge how many per square foot. Best to hydrate them first I think.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I have been buying and selling the watesorb crystals for several years. I buy in the large bags and sell to a group who make cool ties for our soldiers. I use the large crystals which I grind to an 'almost powder' in my coffee grinder for my potted plants and the large crystals go in when I plant things in the garden. 1 tablespoon will absorb about 1 gallon of water. The amount they absorb has to do also with the water used. The more pure the water, the more it will absorb. I repotted some palms using the powder and those have done much better this past year than the ones that did not get the crystals. Those have mostly died because it is almost impossible to keep them watered enough in my hot dry climate. My cannas love having the crystals in the soil also ... any water loving plant will really benefit if you live somewhere that you do not get a lot of rainfall.

the watersorb crystals are the best for craft uses also. the company is mostly geared for industrial size purchases and only do a small volume of individual sales. They are happy that I handle a lot of the hugs project business so they can concentrate on their volume sales. I can fit 15 pounds of crystals into a flat rate box and 5 pounds into a flat rate envelope.. that is a real trick but I have it down to an art.

Tammie

Oh, Taaaaammmm-mmmmieeeeeeee,

Do you want to make the 4 or 5 of us posting on this thread an offer for some watersorb at wholesale/bulk prices in exchange for something green? Like money? LOL!

Suzy

I have some of the large crystals available and a mix of medium and large.. you can contact me privately if interested. I know we are not supposed to sell anything on this site and I don't want to get into trouble. I do the crystals as a service to the hugs project but am willing to help a few DG friends along the way.

I sell just a little above my cost to cover my expenses.

TammieLee123@SBCGLOBAL.net

Tammie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh - i'd be interested too.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I think you would be surprised at the response to a co op. Maybe you'll think about giving it a try. Do you get any special discounts with what you buy? If not then maybe someone else would think about doing a co op if you don't want to do one...maybe even me! LOL J/K...I think :~D

Lana

I feel like I have been doing an ongoing co-op for the past 2 years since I started getting them for the hugs project members. They did not raise my cost when their prices went up last year. Other than that, I don't get any other discount but I do get them for less than the advertised price on their web site. I buy the large and the medium sifted crystals that are good for craft uses... they do not have as much dust in them that can be dangerous to inhale when you work with them a lot. I have my garage set up for storage in bulk and packaging. Also, getting 5 pounds into a flat rate envelope is a skill that takes time to learn... LOL believe me, others have tried.

I would be willing to do a co-op with the large and medium crystals since I am about to order again very soon. I already know the price $4.25 per pound plus actual shipping ... that is the average cost of the crystals to me with shipping... it usually costs about $28 per bag to have it shipped to me.... I may need to add a tiny bit in to cover the costs for zip lock bags, tape and misc. items used. That depends on the actual shipping cost to get them to me... that changes with every shipment but I have managed to keep them at $4.25

No matter what, they will be lots less than you can buy them in the stores and these are really good to use. Many people have tried other brands and been unhappy. Did you know these are completely safe and non toxic but they are actually a petroleum product? Interesting isn't it? The cool ties are also very easy to make and work wonders when you are out on a very hot day.

Tammie

I have never done a co op before but I think I can figure it out since I have everything already set up to coordinate orders and shipping here... I even have tons of labels to print on for shipping. Where do I start... should I first see if there is enough interest? I usually buy about 160 pounds at a time in 50 and 55 pound bags.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I would be glad to help with the co-op coordinating part if you can do the ordering, packing, and shipping. I've been around a long time and participated in many co ops, I've seen others split the co op resposibilities which makes it much easier on all involved. Will send Dmail to discuss it further. :~) The participants always make sure the co op hostess gets covered for her costs, the cost of the shipping will be added to the cost of the product per pound.

Lana

Interlachen, FL(Zone 9a)

Count me in, please. My soil needs all the help it can get...

Helen

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Tammie and I are going to co-host a polymer crystal co op. Will start it soon so keep an eye to the co ops. Will also post a link here.

Lana

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think they have a max size. I think they keep swelling and swelling. They don't stop.
I figured they would expand large, but had NO IDEA that they continue to grow and DO NOT dry up for WEEKS (without ANY new water).
I pulled a plant out of it's watery tomb, dumped and spread out the stuff in a pan. It did not dry up for MANY weeks.

Make SURE you REALLY want the excess water for that plant for an on-going basis!!!

when you put one of the crystals in water, it will absorb water for about 1-2 hours and noticably get larger for the first hour. They will continue to absorb for several hours more but they do reach a maximum size. They absorb warm water faster. It takes only a little bit mixed in the soil to hold residual moisture for plants. The smaller the crystal is, the faster it absorbs water and faster it releases it also. The drier the envoirnment, the faster it dries out. They lose mositure through evaporation just like anything else but serve as moisture resivors for plants. Roots will grow right through the crystals. I put about 1/2 a teaspoon mixed into the soil around every new plant in the ground... I make the hole about two or three times the size I need and mix them in. Plants that like a lot of water get a little more... I can have plants that like it dry planted near ones that like more moisture. Your humidity level will also determine how fast they dry out. Here in west Texas, it gets very dry and they can dry out relatively fast... over several days if left out in the open. Just like any water, the more humid it is, the slower the evaporation rate. Hope this helps.

Tammie

I will be doing the packaging and shipping for the co-op.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 10:46 AM

We are currently putting together a co op for the crystals... please just post a short reply if you might be interested in getting between 3 and 15 pounds of them. This will help figure out how much I may be ordering.

Thank you,

Tammie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

put me in for 5#

Terese

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I'll take 5#

Laurie

Madison, WI

Oh, I will. #5 Ev

This message was edited Feb 26, 2007 10:18 PM

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Go buy some baby diapers. Cut away the layers of lining, remove the soft and absorb center. Slide that into a ziploc bag and shake it gently to separate the crystals from the fluff. Check the pic. The crystals in one baby diaper filled up this bowl. I'm some mother somewhere will give you a diaper.

Thumbnail by renwings
Madison, WI

Are those the same type of crystals?

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

That's super cool! Always wondered how diapers held so much. Wonder if they put the same in "womens products". I think I'd rather order mine though than cut up diapers :~) That's just me though!

Lana

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

As far as I know they are the same. There are two types that I know of. They used to put super absorbent polymer crystals in tampons. But outlawed that after they linked it to TSS.

I'm going to use that bowl of goop for propagation. It's so cool! It even retains the warmth very well. It has been a couple hours since I poured warm water in there to activate the crystals and it is still warm. Even though I put it near a window.

I don't think I will ever go through enough of the stuff to justify a buying it. A little bit goes a LONG way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.