Love the hairdo on this curly girlie....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

A spider plant was my first venture into green stuff and is a longtime favorite. The recent addition to my collection was a compact one with a pretty hairdo. Looks like she is fresh from the beauty parlor...

Thumbnail by podster

This is one of the senior citizens of my spider family...

Thumbnail by podster

There is quite a contrast when perched side by side...

Love these guys and would love to see your photos too....

Thumbnail by podster
Silver Spring, MD

So beautiful. My spider it about the size of one of the babies on the plant at the left. I'll post a picture next year. Hopefully it will be as lovely as yours.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Pod, LOVE the curly-q one! It really does look like she just got back from the salon.

My only spider baby is a solid green that I've been trying to get a good pic of, but it doesn't seem to be very photogenic, lol! Funny thing is, I actually got it from my hair dresser, LOL!!!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the curly spider plant! I'm planning to get one when the weather warms up.

I have three different spiders - the "classic" variegated one, the Fireflash, and one of the curlies. Have to say I love those spiders too - seems to be the popular opinion on this board. They are so easy to care for and so attractive, brightening up any room. The curlies are just too cute, with a personality all their own!

Randi

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Pod, your 'Bonnie' is gorgeous! I love them, but can't keep them to save my life. I think I neglect them too much and I've never once changed them out of that dreadful HD peat. Yuck! I'm going to get another one and will promise that I'll do better by it! They are so darned cute!

GH

This past summer, I kept the large one from producing spiderlets by pinching the runners. It seemed to make them fuller.
I have some solid green ones also. Not a great photo but this link is easier than searching thru the pictures. http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/si/109008/ They seem different though. They are more hardy. They can die down from frost and will come back full and pretty in the spring.
GH ~ is it just the Bonnie that you have trouble with? Now you tell me.. LOL I guess that means I'll have trouble too.
Seaorchid ~ do you have a photo of Fireflash. What color is that one?
Nannanavarro ~ you will be amazed at how quickly it will grow. The spider is so carefree and delightful.
Stownes ~ I wish a had some of these babies big enough to share. Check with me in a few months.
Heathrjoy ~ the only photos that look good are the ones I take outdoors in natural light. Guess you better not do that right now... sorry!
On the first photo, I can visualize a face under the curly locks. They are definitely fun plants. Thanks all for the compliments....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh, the curly one is so cute. I have one big honkin' regular spider plant right now, the momma of 24 babies I've got potted up to take for trading at our local horticultural society plant share in the spring. Must search for a Canadian source for a curly...

Grow_Jo ~ I think the name for it is Bonnie. This one wasn't marked but all research points to it. The photos I've seen don't favor with the tighter curls but I have found nothing else. Sold as one of those no name foliage plants.

I like it for indoors as it doesn't take up as much room. The way the babies grow fascinates me... They actually grow upward and put on babies. When they get bigger and heavier the stalks appear to drape down but still close in to the plant. Pretty neat and compact.

Thumbnail by podster
Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Very nice!! I hope I can increase my collection at our southeast swap in April!

David

David ~ these are close to instant gratification plants. They are generous with starts of plantlets.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

I have tons of plain green ones; just none of the others. Hopefully some folks have had some bountiful harvests of variegated babies.

Speckledpig ~ Remind us later in the summer and I am sure you shall receive.... : )

Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

I have many variagated I'd be willing to send to you who wants. I need to cut them off mine & repot some new ones too. Here's a pic of my decrepit oldsters! Believe it or not, they're green with white margins. I'd love to find someone that has a white with green margins. I had one once but lost it when I moved.

I'd also LOVE to have a start from that curly one, Pod. I'd never seen one like that.

~*~ Suenell

Thumbnail by Cambium
Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

I should be ashamed to post this one but it's lonely. LOLZ

Thumbnail by Cambium
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow!!! Ms. Curly Q is gorgeous! I'll have to keep my eyes open to.
:) Donna

Cambium ~ the reverse variegate is unusual with such thin white strips on the edges. Hadn't seen one like that. And how can your second photo be lonely with all those kids hanging around.. ; )) Pretty basket with so many plantlets.

Donna Thanks for the compliment...

This guy is loaded with spiderlets but they are still too small to pot up. Hopefully later on this summer we can arrange it... pod

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

they look so great in the flower box, so pretty... I may have to do that!
i'm dying to get my hands on a curly one too!

bought some babies off a girl on ebay, i posted them in my journal if anyone wants to see.
stephanie

Thumbnail by sjonesartist

I'm in the same boat as HG, I have not had any luck with Bonnie :(
Mine were only the plantlets,they would look great & then seems overnight dead.
Pod,your's is gorgeous-I think you could grow a telephone pole & it would look great.

Thanks Ms Cactus! Glad to see you back. I am now afraid of killing this sweetie and will probably do so with too much attention.

Mine were only the babies,not yet rooted.
I want to try again but will try with a full grown plant.
I think I may have over watered??

After reading some of the comments on this thread... I'm wondering if these are more difficult that the plain vanilla variety. Anyone? Successes, failures... Can you give us some pointers....

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Gosh and here they grow like weeds inside , pots, outside ground .
Use good draining soil, feed, and don't over water, Mist them, they do like humdity .

Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

My white with green margins ended up being fragile enough that they didn't make a long-term commitment with me like my green with white margins or the plain green. I'd had the white ones for several years in AR but moving to FL they died. I don't know why. Maybe they needed more root room & didn't like getting old in the same pot? Maybe too much water? I really dont' know but I'd like to try again if anyone has a start for me. I really loved the looks of them & Pod's curlie gals!

~*~ Suenell

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Very Nice!
Supposedly easy to grow, so why can't I grow them? Have tried to root many babies from my mom's plants and they have ALL died. It lives longer if I let it dry out to die.

...and here I was trying to root a piece in "water"... no hope for me!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

The Airplane plant has those babies that has dried rootlets hanging off the bottoms of them. The longer they're on there, the more those roots form up. I cut them off the stem, leaving a short piece on it then just sorta shove the plantlet into soft moistened soil & leave it there a few days for those roots to realize they've touched ground. Then I sprinkle them with water. Those roots then slowly become more like tubers. The older plants have almost finger-sized tubers that are sorta like a potato, full of water. I dont' know if those would be considered tubers or just a specialized type of root.

Like Allison said, make sure they drain well but I've grown mine in all kinds of soils & types of light.

~*~ Suenell

Boy, I have noticed those roots. Amazing how they will push all the soil out of the pot to take over. This curly spider is strange because it will appear to put on a baby and then, the stalk grows out of the middle of the baby and has another. They are stacked on top of each other. And the stalk grows up rather than hanging down. I had one break off when I brought it home so am trying to establish roots. I did start by putting it in water, then read here and said oops. It is now resting in soil. We'll see!?!!?

Lamar, AR(Zone 7b)

OH I want one so badly! 8-D *gives big ol' happy smile w/glasses on*

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, evidently the problem has been with me trying to root in water. (I KNOW my mom does! She must use babies with further developed roots.)
Now that I know to root in soil I would love to find a baby from 'curly q' or one like that 'hawaiian' beauty that someone posted. Those 2 pretty lady's would be quite a pair!

How about a "Hawaiian Bonnie"... wonder if there is such a critter.... : )

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

You guys mean you can't root normal green ones in water or just the bonnie?

I read it to be the Bonnie. I've done both the green and varigated all right.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Yeah, okay. I root my plain ones all the time in water. Maybe Bonnie is just picky.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

The babies root quickly and easily in soil, when they have well developed roots. I like to call em nubs. LOL I broke one last fall and just stuck it in a pot with my WJ and it's sitting up nice and pretty today. I can't wait for my Hawaiian momma to start making babies. Now, if I can just find a nice big 'Bonnie', I'll be alright.

GH

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

No, I have not been able to root the common variety in water. Guess they rot. Anyway they always die. Quickly. I've tried multiple times.
What is a Bonnie?

I don't know for a fact, but think the curly spider is known as a Bonnie.

Anyone have a 99 cent only store? Found my Bonnie there. You need to get there when the plants are just put out because they do nothing about taking care of them after that. First thing I check out when we stop there. Never know what you'll find. I've had good luck with their bulbs too. Harold

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.