shrimp plant help, please?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I was given a shrimp plant by Xomed a couple of years ago. Alas, she no longer seems to be a member of DG. The plant is blooming profusely but I have some care questions. How often should it be fertilized and what should I use?
Also, should it be pruned to make it bush out? It is a bit leggy, although doing great otherwise.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't tell too much from your picture, but if you think it's leggier than it should be, it's possible it's not getting enough light. Can't help you on the fertilizing--I tend to not fertilize stuff nearly as often as I should!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Love your Shrimp plant !
Culture
Light: Shrimp plant does well in full to part sun.
Moisture: Shrimp plant likes a fertile, well drained soil; water generously in hot weather to keep plant looking fresh.
Hardiness: USDA Zone 8-11. Shrimp plant is killed to the ground by hard frosts but usually recovers quickly when warm weather returns.
Propagation: Start new plants from stem cuttings in spring or by division of clumps.

Plant filles I fount this one different than yours does not give a lot of info but people that grow them write about them ! http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1870/index.html
Hope some helps you !

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I had one outside when I lived in Phoenix. It was in fairly poor soil, I never fed it. It was planted under a willow tree, so it got filtered sunlight. You can pinch it back to make it fuller.

Yours looks quite happy, good job!

thanks folks. I really wanted this plant and was amazed when Xomed sent me a mature one. I had a wonderful aunt who grew one in her parlor and I always admired it so was pleased to finally have one. I promise to take good care of it.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I have a huge one outside that I prune back when it gets leggy. It gets full sun all day and seems to thrive on neglect. The hummingbirds love it!

I will trim mine back, then, and put it out for the summer. Thanks everyone.

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

When you trim it, you can root the cuttings. These root really easily with rooting hormone and stuck in soil. I've never had one fail.

I had to trim mine back to put into my tiny greenhouse. I thought it would do some growing and blooming because I understood they liked to bloom in cooler weather. Maybe it's too cool in there; some nights down to 45 deg. I haven't fertilized it yet. Should I just wait until its warmer to expect anything?

(Zone 1)

I just found your plant in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/622/

I didn't know they could take cold temp's but apparently they do well and will survive even in zone 7. PF info also says they bloom repeatedly so maybe if you just pruned/trimmed yours it will begin to put on new growth and give you some blooms.

It finally looks like a couple of blooms are coming on. But it sure did get tall and leggy.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I leave mine in the ground and they freeze back each year; consequently they rarely have a chance to get leggy.......

well, I always thought of them as a bit tender and we had been in zone 6 for some time. But over the last few years we have changed to zone 7. I'm not sure what I want to do because my property is very steep downhill and anywhere I plant it down there; it is not likely to be seen. My deck is too shady, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Take a lot of cuttings when the weather warms up and plant a lot of cuttings in a big pot. That way you can place them where the sun is.

thanks, I'll try that for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.