help in a hurry with cuttings

Quoting:
we have pretty weather this week....
Braggart, I'm stuck home with kids because the air temps were -14 this morning and when they go below -5 the schools shut down because they don't want kids standing at a bus stop being exposed to frost bite or worse than that, damaging their lungs. The temps aren't as bad as what they sound but when combined with the wind, they can get frost bite in a matter of a few minutes.

I've used dormant oils on outdoor plants before.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

We deserve this sun and 68 degree weather....January was the coldest and wettest month we have had since 1967 (the facts come from my farmer brother who keeps records)...does sound like bragging, doesn't it????????? I tried zone 6 and ended up with gro-lights all over my cabin on the river in the mountains...........I just got through helping my brother to dart a deer and give him antibiotics...he is going to dart another this afternoon, so I am frantically gardening in between going down to the deer.

Quoting:
We deserve this sun and 68 degree weather
With the weather we're having, I'd take t-shirt weather of say the 40's but right about now I'd be happy with anything in the 30's. .

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I really promise that i feel sorry for you all.....you are in zone 5....I couldn't make it in zone 6.....I don't need a doctor to tell me that I have that seasonal affective disorder....take the sun away for a month and I just want to go to bed and hibernate. You can gripe to me all you want as I have great empathy for anyone below zone 8b...

One more day at home with the kids and you'll hear me scream all the way down in Texas and I don't even have SAD.

Backing up a bit to something Tigger expressed a concern about which was chemical resistance, a University of Western Australia scientist recently shared the very same concern. Professor Stephen Powles, Deputy Head of the School of Plant Biology and Director of the WA Herbicide Resistance Initiative at The University of
Western Australia, received the Award for Outstanding Research Paper for 2006 from the American journal, 'Weed Technology'.

Look out people, if we don't start exercising some restraint, we'll probably see Round Up pulled from the shelves in the next decade!

Quoting:
University of Western Australia
MEDIA STATEMENT Wednesday, December 20, 2006

UWA SCIENTIST SOUNDS WARNING ON WEED CONTROL

A research paper calling for international action to halt the spread of
glyphosate-resistant weeds has won a major award.

Professor Stephen Powles, Deputy Head of the School of Plant Biology and
Director of the WA Herbicide Resistance Initiative at The University of
Western Australia, received the Award for Outstanding Research Paper for
2006 from the American journal, 'Weed Technology'.

Professor Powles said the award was a great honour.

"It is wonderful to receive international recognition and to know that our work is appreciated in the United States and beyond," he said.

Professor Powles is already an Institute of Scientific Information highly-cited laureate as one of the worlds' most cited plant scientists. His paper 'Evolved Glyphosate Resistance in Plants: Biochemical and Genetic Basis of Resistance', was co-written with Dr Christopher Preston from the University of Adelaide.

Glyphosate - often known as Roundup - is considered the world's greatest herbicide and controls weeds infesting soya beans, maize, cotton and canola that are genetically modified to withstand glysophate. Thus
glyphosate can be sprayed and the crop is unaffected but the weeds infesting the crop will die. These glysophate-resistant crops now dominate north and south American crop production.

While a great economic success, Professor Powles said there was growing evidence that the weeds were developing a resistance to the herbicide with big economic consequences for farmers.

"Our study concludes that large areas of the United States, Argentina and Brazil - where glyphosate-resistant weed crops are intensively grown- are under particularly strong glyphosate-selection pressure," Professor Powles said.

The paper cited eight weed species which have shown resistance to glyphosate, including ryegrass in Australia.

Professor Powles' paper argues that solutions to the problem included greater diversity in agro-ecosystems and less use of glyphosate.

"This chemical makes great contributions to world food production and it needs to be conserved for future harvests. Like antibiotics for human health, only through restraint and smart use of glyphosate will it
continue to contribute to world food production," he said.

Sobering, isn't it.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

good thought!! You can send your children to me if they are over the age of 5............all of them LOL!!! I remember those snow days in Ruidoso, NM...I had a shop down the street from our house, so they just all spent every snow day (which were lots of days) playing in and around the store....

"You can send your children to me if they are over the age of 5............all of them LOL!!! "

Bless you child, let's coordinate flights into the closest airport to where you live.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That would be Corpus Christi .......and I do hate to rub it in, but it was in the high 60's today and tomorrow even warmer...they can play with me as my grandchildren do....we ride the 'gator' down to the deer through the pastures...then they always want to ride on the big mower (without the blades moving of course)...now we send them down to my brother's house as he lets them drive anything in his lap..........tractors, pickups, etc.....we are big on crafts, too. last visit they made candles, hooked rugs, etc....better yet, you come with them!!!!!! Fun can be had by all

Are you on a farm?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That would be a big yes.....left home at 17 and returning to the farm at 65...happy camper I am!!!! Look at the beginner's landscape and you will see how much help I need.....I remodeled an old farmhouse that each family in the extended family always had at least one newly married couple that lived in it for 5-10 years at a time....finally I announced, "move over, I am coming home".....seriously, if you are going crazy our weather is going to get better and better...I am 20 miles from Rockport, Texas...a thriving sea side town on the coast.

Where is the beginner's landscape? Can you post links please?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know how ....not too computer saavy...when you go to Garden Talk....Dave has started some new sites for beginners...the first is flowers, then gardening questions, then houseplants and then landscaping....i wish I knew how to do that hyperlink thing, but I don't!!!! see if you can find it this way...MY post in landscaping accidentally shows a photo of my son-in-law and his son. I didn't Know that the pic would show up when I made a new thread....wish I could get rid of it before someone recognizes him....fat chance?????????????

I found your thread. Love your porch.

I can't help you with landscaping. I can't help myself. I have no sense for design. That's an area where I'd fall flat on my face. I can copy someone else's design but would not be able to create anything for myself let alone for anyone else. I'm decent at providing lists of species for people to consider when they are beginning to add plants to their landscape and I'm very good at selecting plants for my property here only because I am intimately familiar with it and have a good working knowledge of the species that were present here before European colonization. I gravitate toward plants indigenous to my county but will use well behaved exotics up in tight around my home. Iris are a favorite exotic of mine. I can't seem to get enough of those.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.